PDA

View Full Version : Clothing--working backwards

DeniseL
02-25-2004, 21:18
Hi,

Is I mentioned elsewhere, I'm doing my 2005 thru in 2004 due to my sudden lack of a job. I plan to depart April 1, so I have precious little time to get my poop together, and precious little money with which to do it. So I'm going through my clothing to see what I already have that MIGHT be hike-worthy. I need to edit this list, deleting anything that doesn't work. Then I need to put together a 'to buy' list, which I hope some folks here can help with. Here's what I have:

lightweight Silk long john's--1 each top and bottom, need 2nd set for camp
Lowe Alpine thermal top--1, too large for base layer, good as hiking shirt
Danskin supplex 'bike' shorts (for underwear) - many pair, will bring two
Nike lycra sports bra - 1 for hiking, go braless in camp
Danskin supplex pants-might not be warm enough-I have several pair.
Wind resistant hiking pants, lightweight, don't zip off - 1 pair (not rain pants)
EMS fleece vest- large
Pearl Izumi fleece vest--more fitted than the EMS. Thin in the back (for cycling) I'll bring one vest or the other, not both.
EMS fleece pullover--long sleeve, very thick, half-zip, cuffs around waist and wrist.
Lowe Alpine rain jacket--lightweight, breathable, full zip. I use for cycling.
Ski mittens
Windtech hat
ski mask thingie. Like a balaclava but has material around the mouth and nose which is stiffer, with ventilation holes. (I am prone to frostbite)

What on this list works, what should I leave home. Then, what do i need to buy to have a workable set of hiking and camp clothes? Keep in mind my very low budget. I appreciate any tips.

Thanks!

azchipka
02-25-2004, 22:10
Im going to go the other way on this instead of telling you what you should have with you or what i think i am going to give you a list of what i am bringing with me. We are starting right around the same time, i start on march 28th, so we will be dealing with the same weather.

Poncho
REI Microlight Jacket aka wind breaker
2 pairs of silk sock liners
2 pairs of hiking socks
1 pair of fleece socks
1 Pair of pants (BDU Style)
2 Tee Shirts (light weight)
1 Pair of shorts
1 Pair of microfleece pants (worn under pants on cold days)
1 turleneck
2 bandana's
1 full rim hat
1 pair gloves

That is what I am starting with and will possible be changing out my cloths to colder weather cloths in VT as my family lives just off the trail. Please also not that I am keeping a few items in my bounce box for clothing just in case including a fleece jacket, extra pair of socks, and town clothing.

retread
03-14-2004, 11:52
A good source of info about clothes is Ray Jarden's book Beyond Backpacking.

Here's what I finished with:
2 pr. Smartwools
2 pr. liner sox (go to Walmart/Kmart and buy the thin nylon mens stretch dress sox, 3 pr. for about $10)
2 pr. lt/wt polypro bottoms
1 lt/wt polypro top
1 mid/wt polypro top
Keep one pr. of long johns DRY, don't hike in them just sleep in them. You don't need long pants...you can hike in lt/wt long john bottoms and nylon shorts even in snow, just keep moving.
1 pr. nylon shorts
1 pr. spandex shorts (solves the chaffing problem)
1 100wt microfleece (excellent versatile garment, I carried it the entire way.)
1 top layer like Patagonias puffball. This has a thin layer of primaloft or thinsulate. I have one of these which has replaced my fleece. It is windproof which fleece isn't; it is lighter weight than a fleece; and it is less bulky than a fleece, it stuffs down to grapefruit size.
1 rain suit top...either Frogg Toggs or coated nylon. Pants if you want to have something to wear while you wash your shorts. I also carried a thin polyester windbreaker. Patagonia makes the velocity shell, similar thing available from Pearl Izumi and L.L.Bean. Mine weighs 7 oz. stuffs to softball size.
1 polyester T-shirt
ballcap...preferably nylon or polyester, see Kavu. Do not get a gore-tex ballcap, they are expensive and HOT.

I think that's about it. You won't need all of this in warm weather.
Don't try to figure it all out before you go....just go. You'll figure it out as you go...trust yourself to do that. If I can help you in any way just let me know.
Retread

retread
03-14-2004, 12:09
Hey...I forgot gloves. Get a pair of the polypro glove liners. These you will wear all the time, they are small and light. I carried mine the whole way. Hint: Do NOT try to light a Bic lighter while wearing these. I had NO idea polypro was THAT flammable. I also carried a pair of regular old ragg wool gloves in the winter and wore the liners under them. Hands never got cold even when covered with snow. You don't really need overmitts...those are overkill. The liners will keep your hands warm even when wet. Retread

retread
03-14-2004, 12:15
Damn...I keep remembering stuff.

Also take a warm hat. This is a MUST to keep warm at night in the bag. I used to carry an old wool watch cap (stocking hat) but I have gone to a windblocker fleece headband and a microfleece hat. I didn't always need to block wind off my ears and I only need a headband for that. The microfleece is lighter than the wool hat and just as warm.

Okay....damn, I think this is it. Retread

DeniseL
03-14-2004, 13:00
Thanks for the info! I've been shopping recently and my clothing list closely matches yours, exept for the Patagonia puffball. That's simply not in the budget. If I have a 100wt fleece top, plus a breathable rainjacket, (plus long johns and a long sleeve T) do I really need another outer layer garment? If so, I'll search online for something comparable by a more affordable manufacturer. I'd rather not spend the money and carry the weight unnecessarily, though.

No_trailname_yet
03-16-2004, 12:53
Thanks for the info! I've been shopping recently and my clothing list closely matches yours, exept for the Patagonia puffball. That's simply not in the budget...
Heya,

Just wanted to add that if you hurry, you might be able to find, purchase, and receive a Patagonia puffball on ebay. If it doesnt' arrive before you leave, have a friend mail drop it to you.

I bought the puffball vest (older model, no pockets, but weighs only 8oz.) for waaaay less. Turn around between purchase (Paypal) and arrival was only about six days. (It was less than I paid for my socks, although I do carry two extra pair - it's a diabetic thing :>).

I should be arriving at Springer on the 30th, hope to see you along the trail...

DebW
03-16-2004, 16:14
Here's a good deal if you're interested. northernmountain.com has Golite Coal parkas (15 oz thin Polarguard insulation, hip length with hood) for $29 (only small and med) or the Sun Coal Parka for $35 (S, M, and L). It's sized for layering over other things. Though it looks like you've got enough top insulation. You should probably add a pair of shorts (long johns + shorts make extra pants). If it were me, I'd bring just the one pair of silk long johns for camp and get polypro for hiking. Good deals can often be found at rei-outlet, sierratradingpost, and campmor.