PDA

View Full Version : New Damascus Library and Tourism Center--donations needed

ToriB
07-10-2008, 15:37
Hi everyone,

As any of you who have thru-hiked the AT know, Damascus is an important stop along the trail. Many of you probably used services at our library while you were here, such as Internet access, maps, and general guidance about town. And, you no doubt noticed how crowded the library is during Trail Days and the surrounding months. We are the busiest branch library in Washington County.

In addition to its obvious purpose, our library functions as a visitors' center since we don't have one in Damascus. However, it simply doesn't have the space for us to provide the services we would like to. Plans are in place to construct a new 6,500 square foot library, which will be located across Water Street from the town park [see link]. Conveniently, this is right off the AT—you won’t be able to miss it. As you can see on the plans, the new library will include a visitors' area that will have extensive information about regional recreational opportunities, area businesses, and the AT in general. In the new library, the number of computers available to the public will double (to 10), and there will be a wireless connection throughout the building. It will also have a lovely outdoor seating area and two sets of restrooms, one accessible from outside the building.

The estimated minimum cost for construction and site preparation for the new library is $900,000+; construction costs have gone up nearly 50% since the inception of the project. No budget has yet been set for the interior furnishings and fixtures,but we should know more after a meeting with the architect later this month. $450,000 of construction related costs funds are secure (thanks to the Washington County Board of Supervisors and the Virginia Tobacco Commission). Grants are pending for at least $400,000. If funding allows, we hope to use mostly locally-sourced materials and to incorporate as many energy-saving techniques in the construction as possible.

The Library Board helped organize a Damascus-based fund raising committee, of which I am a member. We are currently working on several projects to raise funds for the library, including a yard sale, a gas card raffle, and a cookbook of recipes comprised of recipes from community members. However, we will also depend heavily on individual and corporate donations.

Whether you are a past hiker who has used the library and enjoyed all that Damascus has to offer or someone who is planning to someday hike through, I ask that you please consider a donation to help fund the Damascus Branch Library. Hikers were and are a major consideration in planning and developing the library, and we would like to be able to provide a higher level of services to people who appreciate our town. All donations are tax-deductible, and you may contact me via a PM with any further questions. No donation is too small!

Current exterior and interior plans:

http://www.damascus.org/library.html

Please send donations to:

Damascus Fund Raising Committee
Washington County Library Foundation
205 Oak Hill St.
Abingdon, VA 24210

Checks should be payable to the WCPL Foundation – be sure to put “Damascus Project” in the memo.

Thank you!

Tori Bledsoe
Chair, Damascus Library Fund Raising Committee

Lone Wolf
07-10-2008, 15:43
This is a worthwhile cause to donate to folks. I'm donating and I hope y'all can spare a couple of bucks for the new library.

Sly
07-10-2008, 15:56
I'll send a few bucks as soon as I get home in a couple weeks.

Rain Man
07-10-2008, 16:00
This is a worthwhile cause to donate to folks. I'm donating and I hope y'all can spare a couple of bucks for the new library.

Agreed. If I'm not mistaken, my daughter Grass emailed me several times from the Damascus library during her thru-hike in '04. I was just there Monday, walking by anyway. I'll send a donation.

Rain:sunMan

ToriB
07-30-2008, 12:23
We have received a few donations--thank you all so much! Someone donated an amount represented of the number of miles he'd hiked; I thought that was a cool idea.

Lone Wolf
07-30-2008, 12:24
a check fo $16,000 is in the mail :)

Magic Man
09-22-2008, 21:45
Libraries are a critical link between hikers and their families and friends.

Families and friends wait anxiously to hear from their loved ones.
Their minds are set at ease when hikers post to their online journals
(as well as here on WB), most often from a computer that is made available to them at the local library.

I recently donated $21.75 to the Damascus Library building project
(representing the AT's 2,175 miles)
in recognition of my daughter's 2007 SOBO thru-hike.

I challenge other families and hikers to consider supporting this worthwhile project.

Visit www.wcpl.net (http://www.wcpl.net) to donate! Do it TODAY!