PDA

View Full Version : Newfound Gap to Cosby - Report July 7-9 2008

Tripod
07-10-2008, 19:27
Just spent a couple of days hiking from Newfound Gap north to Low Gap then down to Cosby campground in GSMNP. As usual there was a big crowd at Newfound Gap and several day hikers out to Charlie's Bunion. After that just section hikers and a couple of horse rider types.

Water - Slow but available. Pencil sized stream at Icewater and TriCorner. I didn't walk down to Pecks but there was a small spring running at the intersection of the AT with Hughes Ridge trail that leads down to the shelter. Cosby had a pretty good stream and a good pool.

The AT was in very good condition. I'd give it a 8 out of 10 with no blowdowns and very little erosion. Rocky in places but no more than the normal AT section in the South. Trail maintenance crews were working from Icewater to Pecks cutting back the brush.

Was fortunate to meet some nice folks along the trail. Hiked from Tricorner to Cosby with Ruth who was doing a section from Springer to Damascus. Also met Denney and company at Cosby who were going from I40 to Newfound on a section. There was another hiker who was a first timer carrying an 85 pound 7000 cc pack (his words) at Tricorner going South. He was eating lunch and had a full quart of peanut butter! Said he bought the largest pack he could find on eBay. Ah youth! HYOH I guess. :)

Weather was mostly good with some rain but the temperature was very nice somewhere in the 70's. If you visit Cosby shelter be sure to look for Smokey the rabbit. Actually seemed to enjoy a little bit of beef jerky. Low Gap trail down to Cosby campground was in excellent condition. The ranger at the campground said business was very slow this year with few campers. The campground was almost empty. Thanks to the folks at Jelleystone campground on 321 for the shower.

This finished up my section from Fontanna Dam to Damascus VA which I have done over the past 4 years. Mostly day hikes, overnighters and short sections. Where to go next????

Good hiking,
Tripod

Blissful
07-10-2008, 20:28
Great report, congrats on finishing your section!

Bearpaw
07-10-2008, 20:36
Did you see the shelter peacock at Icewater Springs? We were hiking the AT from Clingman's to Davenport from July 1-6 ourselves and the peacock was a bit of a highlight. We also encountered the bold bunny at Cosby shelter. The trip report with pics should follow tomorrow.

Congrats on finishing your section. It's no small accomplishment.

Tripod
07-10-2008, 22:27
I didn't see the peacock but another hiker I ran into did. Just as well I didn't see it. My neighbor at home used to have peacocks and the things made their noise at the least little interruption. I was looking forward to seeing wildlife in the park. Bear, deer, rattlers, wolves but peacocks were not on my list. Turns out the rabbit and a couple of ground squirrels were about all I saw...

Did you see the shelter peacock at Icewater Springs? We were hiking the AT from Clingman's to Davenport from July 1-6 ourselves and the peacock was a bit of a highlight. We also encountered the bold bunny at Cosby shelter. The trip report with pics should follow tomorrow.

Congrats on finishing your section. It's no small accomplishment.

Mocs123
07-11-2008, 00:04
He must still be on the loose. When I was in that area at the end of July, we saw him and the Rangers were hot on his trail.

http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/33901/2947268540086983979S200x200Q85.jpg

Bearpaw
07-11-2008, 02:00
Yeah, he was bold enough to wander right into the shelter with us.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/GSMNP%20AT%20Jul%2008/045a.jpg

Tripod
07-12-2008, 23:36
I created an album of a few photos from my trip.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Atweed100/NewfoundGapToCosbyCampgroundAT772008

Tripod

Wise Old Owl
07-12-2008, 23:58
Bearpaw if you add that peacock to your life list at the bird club they would throw you out of the club from disbelief! - Its equal to adding "I saw a Emu...."

sliderule
07-13-2008, 15:46
He must still be on the loose. When I was in that area at the end of July, we saw him and the Rangers were hot on his trail.

http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/33901/2947268540086983979S200x200Q85.jpg

Must have been the front end of July!!!

Mocs123
07-13-2008, 17:15
Sorry, End of June