PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Stove fuel

Bruce Hudson
07-10-2008, 20:11
I assumed denatured alcohol was going to be easy to find-- any drug store right?? Wrong. I've read about burning "heat," but I'm a little concerned with what might be in there with my food that close. Other fuel recommendations.

Got from Springer to Franklin using the alcohol stove for the first time and loved it. A badly infected finger got me off the trail early. But I expect to head back to Franklin Sat. or Sun. and finish the hike to Hot Springs. But the two 8 oz bottles of fuel I'm carrying definitely won't make it.

Bruce Hudson

budforester
07-10-2008, 20:26
I assumed denatured alcohol was going to be easy to find-- any drug store right?? Wrong. I've read about burning "heat," but I'm a little concerned with what might be in there with my food that close. Other fuel recommendations.

Got from Springer to Franklin using the alcohol stove for the first time and loved it. A badly infected finger got me off the trail early. But I expect to head back to Franklin Sat. or Sun. and finish the hike to Hot Springs. But the two 8 oz bottles of fuel I'm carrying definitely won't make it.

Bruce Hudson

I think Heet (methanol) actually burns cleaner; there are nasties in Denatured Alcohol, too. I usually buy Denatured Alcohol at Wal Mart, Lowes, or the hardware store... it's with the paint thinners. Heal quickly and Happy Trails.

Survivor Dave
07-10-2008, 20:32

Bruce Hudson

Actually, I make a mixture of 75/25-denatured to HEET(yellow bottle) and it works great.
Some stovemakers don't condone the use of HEET as they say it eats away the stove, but I've never had a problem.

4eyedbuzzard
07-10-2008, 21:29

Denatured alcohol is ethyl(grain alcohol like you drink) with poison added so you can't. Often this poison is methyl alcohol which is what Yellow HEET is, and though a poison, small amounts of methyl alcohol occur naturally in many foods, notably apples.

You are not going to get sick by using either to heat water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

http://yarchive.net/med/methanol_poisoning.html

Nest
07-10-2008, 21:52
There are places that carry denatured alky in that area. The first time I had to use HEET on my hike this year was Waynesboro. NOC carries it I believe, then Fontana, then Standing Bear hostel probably carries it. I can't remember exactly who had it, but if you are carrying 2 8 oz. bottles you won't have any trouble at all.

Footslogger
07-10-2008, 22:22
[quote=budforester;662930]I think Heet (methanol) actually burns cleaner ...

================================

...and in my experience - -HOTTER.

As far as availability of fuel for alcohol stoves ...I think it's been pretty well covered in previous posts. Just would add that the HEET (yellow container) is generally available at NAPA and other auto parts stores if there are no WalMart/Kmart stores in the area.

'Slogger

mkmangold
07-10-2008, 23:28
I bought truck gas-line antifreeze at an auto parts store for 30 cents less a bottle than Heet. Both are methanol.

drastic_quench
07-10-2008, 23:46
Denatured alcohol is ethyl(grain alcohol like you drink) with poison added so you can't. Often this poison is methyl alcohol which is what Yellow HEET is, and though a poison, small amounts of methyl alcohol occur naturally in many foods, notably apples.

You are not going to get sick by using either to heat water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

http://yarchive.net/med/methanol_poisoning.html
...unless you get methyl alcohol on your skin. A few times isn't a concern, but if you're talking a thru-hike, six months of chronic exposure certainly gives me pause.

Nest
07-10-2008, 23:57
...unless you get methyl alcohol on your skin. A few times isn't a concern, but if you're talking a thru-hike, six months of chronic exposure certainly gives me pause.

For how often you would have to settle for HEET due to a lack of denatured alcohol supply, it isn't an issue. Again, I've had to buy HEET once in the first half of the trip. So that is 12 ounces, or 12 days. So 12 days of exposure over 4 months isn't a health risk. Especially since I rarely get any on me.

Bob S
07-10-2008, 23:58

You could say that almost every fuel we use in camp stoves, home ranges, heating our homes, in the autos we drive, in the backyard grills we cook burgers on, is a dangerous fuel if abused. But if you only use it as you are supposed to in a burner, it’s no more dangerous then other things, probably less so.

I take safety measures seriously, but I refuse to not get out and enjoy life because some mouse died in some lab after it was exposed to the equivalent of 5000 times the normal amount of whatever they are testing that week then I would ever be exposed to in a realistic situation. :rolleyes:

4eyedbuzzard
07-11-2008, 00:06

I honestly think you're over reacting a bit. What are we talking about, a few drops on the skin occaisionally? You'll ingest more methanol from eating fruits and vegetables than you ever will from getting a little fuel on your hands occaisionally.

Bob S
07-11-2008, 00:08
A scientist could convince some people that water kills you because they injected a mouse with lots of it and the mouse died. Yes if you get too much water (it’s called drowning) you can die. But only a fool (or a scientist with grant money) would say it’s bad for you.

As long as you exercise some common sense and safe handling procurers, you will be fine.

But some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox, if you are such a person, don’t ever take any stove camping, eat cold meals only.

sly dog
07-11-2008, 04:43
And whatever you do, don't use the heet in the red bottle. The red bottle of heet uses some other addative that produces a black soot that makes a mess. One time in VT i bought it being they didn't have the yellow bottle one and it was horrible.

Lyle
07-11-2008, 07:43
As far as finding Denatured Alcohol. It is often labeled as "Marine Stove Fuel". This is what I usually look for when buying at Lowes or a Hardware.

Gumbi
07-11-2008, 09:43
I like the yellow HEET better than denatured. As Slogger mentioned, it has also been my experience that HEET burns hotter than regular denatured alcohol. I also like the fact that you can find it at Walmart, most gas stations, walgreens, and any auto parts store. Very easy to find. No, I am not too worried about exposure. I would worry more about my exposure to gasoline and grease and used motor oil (I was a mechanic for a couple of years).

Dances with Mice
07-11-2008, 10:06
If you're concerned about a fuel then don't use that fuel. That way you have one less thing to worry about.

Methanol poisoning via skin transfer would require immersion, like sticking your hand into a bucket of the stuff and leaving it there for a long time. I'm often up to my elbows in Meth but I'm appropriately protected. Drips, drops and even big splashes will evaporate way faster than meth will be absorbed through skin. Health risks from getting your fingers wet while fueling your stove are zilch. Well, assuming there's no open flame nearby.

Red bottled Heet is isopropyl, aka rubbing alcohol. Iso cannot combust completely when burned in air so it will produce carbon, smoke, no extra additives necessary.

Bob S
07-11-2008, 11:38
I can't so much as drink a glass of water around a midget or a piece of antique furniture.

????????????????????????????????????????

4eyedbuzzard
07-11-2008, 11:54
...Yes if you get too much water (it’s called drowning) you can die...

You actually can die from drinking too much water. It's called hyperhydration. What happens is that you become so hydrated that your blood electrolyte(mostly sodium) levels drop below safe limits and the body's ability to regulate them is overwhelmed.

It's extremely rare though - you'd have to drink gallons at one time - and the most recent case I heard of was a woman participating in one of those water drinking contests.

Dances with Mice
07-11-2008, 12:09
I can't so much as drink a glass of water around a midget or a piece of antique furniture.

????????????????????????????????????????It's a line from Slingblade. The movie.

Marta
07-11-2008, 12:13
I'm often up to my elbows in Meth but I'm appropriately protected.

Shame on you! We're not supposed to talk about that sort of thing anymore.:D

Dances with Mice
07-11-2008, 12:35
Shame on you! We're not supposed to talk about that sort of thing anymore.Hah! Although long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away and in a previous profession (forensic chemist) I was often up to my elbows in the other kind too.