PDA

View Full Version : outerwear-March

Lillianp
07-11-2008, 08:52
Hey all, I have a fleece pullover that's pretty thick-it serves very well in the white mountains in late may. That said, I just wanted to see opinions on whether or not I need to get an actual jacket. I'm going to be thru-hiking in 2010 but I plan on doing some shake down hikes possibly this fall or in march next year. Probably doing so in northeast ohio or possibly West Virginia. If I'm lucky, farther south. I know this is early, but basically it boils down to two questions:
1. Can I use just my heavy duty fleece pull over with a raincoat as a windbreaker?
2. If not, what type of jacket would you recommend?

(Questions laid out like this because I know I have a tendency to ramble...like now..) :rolleyes:

-Em

Big Sky
07-11-2008, 20:13
How hot/cold natured are you? I'm one of those skinny people who is constantly hot, so I do really well when it's very cold out with a light fleece and my golite down jacket. I throw on the old rain jacket if it's super windy and/or snowing. I've been known to hike in shorts in the dead of winter so I may not be the best to ask :D Anyone will get cold when they're not moving around and there's no fire so it's really a very personal question you're asking. For instance, my boyfriend is extremely cold natured. I'll be burning up in my 35 degree bag when he's freezing in a 30.

It looks like you've already given yourself good advice by saying you're going to do some more hikes around that time of year. That will give you a good indication on where you stand. What's important is, whatever you get, make sure that it doesn't retain moisture. Being hot natured and inexperienced, I burned up and sweat all day in a cotton pullover one of the first times I went backpacking (wow that was a long time ago it seems...) and got hypothermia that night. NOT FUN.

If the fleece isn't enough, I highly recommend a very light weight down insulator jacket like the ones montbell and golite make. They crush down tiny and weigh very little, certainly less than a fleece. They're warmer than you'd think just by looking at them. Downsides are they're expensive (got mine on sale hooray!) and if they get wet, you're out of luck because it won't insulate worth crap.

Good luck and happy hiking.

Blissful
07-11-2008, 20:21
I took a down jacket until mid May. But I tend to run cold.

Lillianp
07-12-2008, 10:26
I run cold-and worse occasionally I get hives because of it (technically allergic.. not cool :eek:). I'm thinking that I'll likely have to get a jacket as I'm cold in late may in the White Mountains, but I can handle it. The fleece was enough, but perhaps I should just get the down jacket and be done with it. Does wearing the fleece under it help or should I just leave the fleece home? :-?

Big Sky
07-12-2008, 10:48
If you're cold natured then I say get a lighter weight fleece to wear underneath your jacket. If you're allergic to down you can always get a synthetic one (which has its advantages despite being a little heavier, if it gets wet it won't lose all of its insulating ability). Layering is really the best way to stay warm. All of my winter gear is pretty lightweight so I can put on exactly as many layers as I need to attain enough warmth to be happy but not so much that I sweat.

Lillianp
07-12-2008, 10:53
Sounds good, thank you for your advice!