PDA

View Full Version : Storing MSR Hubba Hubba Tent Poles

Survivor Dave
07-11-2008, 11:21
Up until now, I have been keeping the one piece poles in the storage bag.
Somewhere here in a post that was non specific to poles, they said to keep them assembled. I am assuming that it takes wear and tear off the cords inside.

A little experience on this please.

Tabasco
07-11-2008, 11:44
In my experience, it relates as to how you disassemble the poles. if you start at an end and work your way to the other end, there is more stress on the shock cord. Start at the middle and work outward, less stress. Don't stretch the cord out too much when you disassemble the poles.

last year I had to re-string a set of ploes on a North face talus 23 tent I've had for 5 years, it was really simple to do.

Pedaling Fool
07-11-2008, 11:46
That would be a pain... to store tent poles in the assembled configuration.

Survivor Dave
07-11-2008, 11:47
In my experience, it relates as to how you disassemble the poles. if you start at an end and work your way to the other end, there is more stress on the shock cord. Start at the middle and work outward, less stress. Don't stretch the cord out too much when you disassemble the poles.

last year I had to re-string a set of ploes on a North face talus 23 tent I've had for 5 years, it was really simple to do.

I will do that. I always had started at one end for ease of disassebling. But how do you store them while off Trail?

Survivor Dave
07-11-2008, 11:50
That would be a pain... to store tent poles in the assembled configuration.

That's what I was thinking. All together, extended out, it's about 10 feet or so. If I did that, then folded the middle portion, I'm still stuck with some stress at that point.

Tabasco
07-11-2008, 11:54
Dave:

I just keep them in the bag disassembled.

Jim Adams
07-11-2008, 12:06
If you start folding from the middle and are gentle and don't over stretch, the shock cord should outlast the UV survival of the tent. Store them folded. At the very most you may have to re-cord them once in their lifetime.

geek