PDA

View Full Version : Z-Lite™...how comfortable is it?

sirbingo
07-11-2008, 11:49
I'm thinking of getting the Z-Lite™ (http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=43&cID=1)for tent camping.
Does anyone else use it and find it just fine for sleeping?

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/images/hi_thermarest_z-lite.jpg

:-?
Sirbingo

Wags
07-11-2008, 12:32
i investigated this pad very thoroughly when i was on a pad hunt. but i ended up not getting it b/c i saw too many reviews that said 'condensation issues'... sorry for no 1st hand experience

Mags
07-11-2008, 12:47
I used it when it was called the "Z-rest". Same pad, different name and color.

Anyway, it is a good "happy medium" pad for a compromise between comfort and weight.

More comfortable than a CCF "blue foam pad", but as durable.
Weighs less than a Therma-rest type pad.

They do tend to pack down after ~1000 miles +/- of use.

You may want to buy a 3/4 length pad for even more weight savings. If you are not on the tall side, you can probably get away with cutting it down a bit, too. Place clothing under your head for a pillow, the pad at your shoulders, and the pack under your feet for a fuller length pad.

A-Train
07-11-2008, 12:49
I've used the same 3/4 Z-Lite for close to 2000 miles.

I'm not sure the thing was ever really comfortable, but I'll probably keep using it, or one like it for years to come.

My theory is, after a full day of hiking, you shouldn't notice comfort if you're tired enough.

They are pretty compatible with most of the ultralight, frameless packs too.

Footslogger
07-11-2008, 12:58
Have the Z-Rest and Ridge Rest (rolled version). Bought them specifically for use where the chance for puncture of an inflatable mat is relatively high ...such as the southern most portion of the PCT.

For years had a 4 section Z-Rest that I strapped on the back of my pack and used as a camp chair/seat. Beat the heck out of sitting on the wet ground or hard rocks.

In my experience the Therma-Rest (inflatable) mats are more comfortable, especially if you blow them up nice and firm. Plus, as already mentioned, the Z-Rests do soften up over time and loose a bit of their cushion.

By the way ...eBay is a good place to get either of them at a great price. I think I paid about $12 for mine and it was brand new.

'Slogger

taildragger
07-11-2008, 13:14
I can sleep on practically anything (sleeping on dirt roads is not below me, same with old cow trails)

I will say that I prefer the z-rest and ridge rest over the blue foam when it comes to comfort (even though I typically use a blue pad)

John B
07-11-2008, 13:34
I didn't care for it. I'm 210 lbs and a side sleeper. My shoulders hurt like h*** the next morning. I'm guessing that the comfortableness of this pad is highly correlated to one's weight and how they sleep.

I have to say, though, that I now use a Thermrest self-inflating pad and that's not much better, either.

taildragger
07-11-2008, 13:43
I didn't care for it. I'm 210 lbs and a side sleeper. My shoulders hurt like h*** the next morning. I'm guessing that the comfortableness of this pad is highly correlated to one's weight and how they sleep.

I have to say, though, that I now use a Thermrest self-inflating pad and that's not much better, either.

I weigh anywhere from 180-200 (depends on the season and my activities, I'll weigh most when heavily hiking).

I also sleep primarily on my back or stomach with this pad.

The real key to making pads like this comfortable is to find a place that is soft to begin with (think pine duff), and you'll be in heaven

Kerosene
07-11-2008, 21:17
Here's my solution the weight/comfort trade-off: the 32" long Bozeman Mountain Works TorsoLite (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/torsolite_inflatable_sleeping_pad.html). Weighs 10.4 ounces (compared to 11 ounces for a 3/4 Z-Lite); provides 3.5 R-value insulation (compared to 2.2 for a Z-Lite); a lot more comfortable than a closed-cell pad; and takes up a lot less space in your pack. To me, the only reason to go with a Z-Lite is if you need to provide some structure to a frameless pack. I've never missed the shorter length as I use a clothes-filled stuffsack (wrapped in my fleece) for a pillow under my head, and the padded framesheet of my empty pack under my legs (usually covered in a plastic bag).

minnesotasmith
07-11-2008, 22:17
Not enough in a shelter or unpadded hostel bunk/floor IMO. (Yes, I've tried a blue pad while camping, and a Z-rest in a store.) For somone who says they'll never sleep in a shelter on a thru, there's always the times the ground is a sea of slush or mud...

Wags
07-14-2008, 17:08
i actually just saw 2 thrus this weekend at pine grove (assumed they were a couple). both had z-rests strapped to their pads

Wags
07-14-2008, 17:09
oops, packs*

Egads
07-14-2008, 17:12
Not very comfortable at all when sleeping on the ground. It makes a pretty good thermal pad though. I use mine in a hammock.

mudcap
07-14-2008, 17:14

Ditto I have the same thoughts as John.

CrumbSnatcher
07-14-2008, 17:57
everyones posts are accurate (summed up well) i carried the z-rest for a few miles not the most comfortable but good enough! lite weight and the best thing was leaving it folded up or partially folded, and sitting on rocks, the ground, shelters, wherever. it was a decent sleep pad but was great when sitting on it... carried one for my dog too. tried the air pads once felt like you were always rolling off. IMO... z-rest still using it today,til a better closed cell foam pad comes along.

minnesotasmith
07-14-2008, 18:16
tried the air pads once felt like you were always rolling off.

How about using a Big Agnes sleep system? It's got a pouch to put a Thermarest-like air pad underneath to contain the pad so it can't slip out from underneath. I had my unattached air pad (Thermarest) slip out from under me more than a few times during my 1st thruhike. I'm going with the BA system next time to avoid that (especially nice since I plan to be in more winter weather this time).

Blissful
07-14-2008, 19:18
My son used the Z rest throughout his hike last year and loved it. But then again he was 16.

For me, Big Agnes insulated mat all the way.

CrumbSnatcher
07-14-2008, 22:11
How about using a Big Agnes sleep system? It's got a pouch to put a Thermarest-like air pad underneath to contain the pad so it can't slip out from underneath. I had my unattached air pad (Thermarest) slip out from under me more than a few times during my 1st thruhike. I'm going with the BA system next time to avoid that (especially nice since I plan to be in more winter weather this time). thanks MS, i don't look at new gear often enough, i'll check that out... thanks

gaga
07-14-2008, 22:48
it is the lightest pad, and you can cut it up in pieces after is to old, just for seats,it`s not compact like a air pad but... you can puncture it, burn it, wet it...slept on it many nights, in my marmot helium;) last winter

Nearly Normal
07-15-2008, 06:50
I've tried the foam pad thing. The only ones I like are open foam but they will get wet and hold water.
Prolite for me.
I need my sleep.

7Sisters
07-15-2008, 07:46
I have both a Zrest and a inflatable pad. As Footslogger said, the inflatable one is more comfortable, but the Zrest is not prone to puncture. After having my inflatable puncture while on the trail and in a shelter, I quickly converted to a full length Zrest.

From my perspective if you spend any time in a shelter or on hard ground, definitely get the full length. The additional length is well worth the diminimus weight differential. I say this because I find my ankles and heels get stiff and sore if I don't have some padding.

In the winter I love my inflatable - esp if I'm tenting. It adds additional warmth versus the zrest.