PDA

View Full Version : 24 Hour Trail Accessibility-Split from Kennebec River Ferry Closure.

warren doyle
07-11-2008, 12:41
nope that's not what i said. the actual trail should be navigable/accessible 24 hrs. per day for all hikers. day, section and thru

Interesting concept. Now that is truly the 'freedom of the trail' or 'the song of the open road' (which reminds me of Bear Mt. Zoo).

*Thread split by Alligator given members' preliminary interest.

Lone Wolf
07-11-2008, 12:42
Interesting concept. Now that is truly the 'freedom of the trail' or 'the song of the open road' (which reminds me of Bear Mt. Zoo).

the AT should never have been white-blazed thru the zoo in my opinion. should be a blue-blazed side trail

The Old Fhart
07-11-2008, 12:48
Lone Wolf-"nope that's not what i said. the actual trail should be navigable/accessible 24 hrs. per day for all hikers. day, section and thru"What about the sections closed from time to time due to fire, before Pond Flats Mtn in 1998 due to bridges out, Fontana Dam this year, Police man hunts this year, etc. ;)

Lone Wolf
07-11-2008, 12:50
Tell that to the Bear Mtn. zoo, or the sections closed from time to time due to fire, before Pond Flats Mtn in 1998 due to bridges out, Fontana Dam this year, Police man hunts this year, etc. ;)

we're talking about the kennebec. i'm not taking your bait

The Old Fhart
07-11-2008, 12:55
Lone Wolf-"we're talking about the kennebec. i'm not taking your bait"You have stated the the ENTIRE trail should be open 24/7 and I have merely shown that that has never been a reality-Climbing Katahdin after October 15 is another good example.

To expect that everyone should cater to the time-table of thru hikers is unrealistic.

Lone Wolf
07-11-2008, 12:58
You have stated the the ENTIRE trail should be open 24/7 and I have merely shown that that has never been a reality-Climbing Katahdin after October 15 is another good example.

To expect that everyone should cater to the time-table of thru hikers is unrealistic.

not just thru-hikers cross the kennebec or climb katahdin. one can climb katahdin after 15 oct. just can't camp overnight in the park. this thread has nothing to do with thru-hikers. it's about all hikers getting across a river

A-Train
07-11-2008, 12:59
the AT should never have been white-blazed thru the zoo in my opinion. should be a blue-blazed side trail

Yeah, it seems pretty silly, although it is something different. Have heard of plenty of unprepared/unaware thrus who either had to walk around or hopped the fence.

Alligator
07-11-2008, 13:03
It's a little bumpy in the beginning here because I grabbed some posts and moved them, at least the first 5 posts. Take a minute to sort out what you'd like to discuss about this.

warren doyle
07-11-2008, 13:04
Yeah, it seems pretty silly, although it is something different. Have heard of plenty of unprepared/unaware thrus who either had to walk around or hopped the fence.

Be careful now.

warren doyle
07-11-2008, 13:05
I would like to go on record that I did not start this particular thread.

Alligator
07-11-2008, 13:22
I would like to go on record that I did not start this particular thread.Correct, I did. You dropped the reference in the other thread, where it would have been discussed anyway. I barely had time to split this off:eek:. Whether you choose to participate is up to you, I just wanted it split off so that the other thread didn't get messy:).

wilconow
07-11-2008, 13:25
Correct, I did. You dropped the reference in the other thread, where it would have been discussed anyway. I barely had time to split this off:eek:. Whether you choose to participate is up to you, I just wanted it split off so that the other thread didn't get messy:).

Kind of weird how it makes it seem that the person thought it was important enough to start a new thread, but didn't

Alligator
07-11-2008, 13:32
Kind of weird how it makes it seem that the person thought it was important enough to start a new thread, but didn'tWell there's the note that it was split and a note on the other thread and the disclaimers above, and I will put a note into Warren's post and I think it will all be covered:).

drastic_quench
07-11-2008, 14:15
I'm drafting a petition for the sun to shine over the entire AT 24 hours a day. Night hiking can be dangerous and often requires the inconvenience of heavy batteries. Thru-hikers shouldn't have to put up with the Earth's rotation on it's axis.

The Old Fhart
07-11-2008, 14:18
Where do I sign? :D

MOWGLI
07-11-2008, 14:22
Thru-hikers shouldn't have to put up with the Earth's rotation on it's axis.

Says who? :rolleyes: