PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pad

Matt Pincham
02-26-2004, 06:48
Just a question on sleeping pads.

I have a very basic and cheap pad and was just wondering if it's good enough for the trail. I see talk of Z-Rests etc but I'm not sure what they are.

Once concern I have is that my sleepign bag is a Rab Quantum Top Bag which is the incredibly light bag which has no filling underneath. So I'm basically lying on a Sheet and a pad which is rated to 4 seasons and about half an inch thick. Is this sensible or should I get a different pad? I was camping out a few weeks back and must say I did feel a bit chilly.

Matt

Youngblood
02-26-2004, 09:02
Just a question on sleeping pads.

I have a very basic and cheap pad and was just wondering if it's good enough for the trail. I see talk of Z-Rests etc but I'm not sure what they are.

Once concern I have is that my sleepign bag is a Rab Quantum Top Bag which is the incredibly light bag which has no filling underneath. So I'm basically lying on a Sheet and a pad which is rated to 4 seasons and about half an inch thick. Is this sensible or should I get a different pad? I was camping out a few weeks back and must say I did feel a bit chilly.

Matt

Matt, when you felt chilly, do you remember where you felt cold? It always seemed to me that there were five basic areas where the cold could get to me:

1- From the top, indicating the bag was not providing enough insulation.
2- From the botton, indicating the sleeping pad was not providing enough insulation.
3- My head, indicating that I needed a warmer cap.
4- My feet, indicating that I needed more layers of footwear.
5- Cold air seeping in 'around' my sleeping bag, indicating that I needed to adjust draft tubes, neck collars, hoods and any cinch cords for my neck and/or hood.

Once I locate the problem, then I can try to figure out what my options are. Are you sure your sleeping pad was not providing enough insulation?

Anyway, there is a fine outfitter on the trail just 30 miles north of Springer at Neels Gap. It is not unusual for thrus to make some adjustments to their gear when they get there. I don't think it will take you but a few days to hike to Neels Gap and you might want to just start out with what you have and then make adjustments if you decide you want to.

Youngblood

Matt Pincham
02-26-2004, 09:33
Thanks Youngblood.

Think you've replied to all my posts in the past hour or so. Thankyou.

My head was cold as was nearly all of me except my feet. I think it might have been the pad but I'll give it a chance in Georgia and adjust from there.

I know as a person that I will make mistakes with my kit planning and I'm willing to accept that I will need to make adjustments to a lot of what I carry. Life's one big learning process I guess and as I get further along the trail I'll hopefully gain a lot more knowledge. Also if I need to buy any more kit, I'm pretty sure it'll be a damn sight cheaper in the US.

Lovely pics of Hiker Hostel too Youngblood :)

gravityman
02-26-2004, 11:29
Sounds like you need to wear a warm hat to bed. I found that a 300 weight fleece hat works a whole lot better than one of those thin windproof hats (seems obvious, but I always was taking my windproof hat with me backpacking. Then I realized that I needed insolation, not windproofness. I have a hood on my rain jacket for that!). It can turn a chilly night into one where you have to start taking off the long underwear.

As for the pad, unless yours is significantly compressed, then it is probably warmer than a z-rest or thermarest.

As was suggested, probably best to wait until you are on trail to make any changes.

Gravity Man