PDA

View Full Version : Cool quote

Mags
07-11-2008, 16:04
So, I am reading the Cohos Trail (http://www.cohostrail.org/) guide. A very good and interesting read believe it or not.

There was this gem of a quote in the book:

Isolation breeds independence, self reliance and that special insanity.

:)

Kinda cool...

Cuffs
07-11-2008, 16:10
Way cool! And truthful!

kanga
07-11-2008, 16:31
oh, that special insanity. i love kindred spirits. thanks for the quote!

wilconow
07-11-2008, 16:36
nice quote, but being around people makes me pretty insane too

auburnbreeze
07-11-2008, 16:49
"That special insanity" I like!

Mags
07-11-2008, 17:35
nice quote, but being around people makes me pretty insane too

Ah..but that is insanity..as opposed to SPECIAL insanity. ;)

taildragger
07-11-2008, 17:41
Ah..but that is insanity..as opposed to SPECIAL insanity. ;)

So, this it the kind of insanity that comes equipped with its own short bus?

Footslogger
07-11-2008, 17:50
[quote=Mags;663414]

Isolation breeds independence, self reliance and that special insanity.

====================================

That explains a lot about distance hikers ...

'Slogger

Mags
07-11-2008, 17:54

That would be a different kind of education as opposed to insanity...

The special kind of insanity comes with synthetic clothing, copious amounts of Mac N' Cheese and the belief that the land is best seen on foot for days, weeks or even months at a time.

Kerosene
07-11-2008, 20:54
Can't wait to finish the AT so I can do the Cohos (and the JMT, CT, Wonderland, Pinhoti, BMT, etc.).

taildragger
07-11-2008, 21:21
That would be a different kind of education as opposed to insanity...

The special kind of insanity comes with synthetic clothing, copious amounts of Mac N' Cheese and the belief that the land is best seen on foot for days, weeks or even months at a time.

So, those of use who prefer wool are just straight up insane (at least thats how I like to think :D)

Blissful
07-11-2008, 21:25
Also explains why the mayor of Unionville NY said he could recommend a good psychiatrist to us when we ran into him at the PO. :)

Homer&Marje
07-12-2008, 09:32
That special insanity is what i call peace.

"There are wild roses that have bloomed far into December seemingly without reason. And some faithful trees stay barren all year long. Proving, I suppose, the only thing consistent, is inconsistency."

read that yesterday in a poetry book, really liked it.

MOWGLI
07-12-2008, 10:49
Can't wait to finish the AT so I can do the Cohos (and the JMT, CT, Wonderland, Pinhoti, BMT, etc.).

Yeah, the Cohos is on my lengthy short list. Though I hear the black flies can contribute to that "special insanity" if you time it wrong.

Mags
07-14-2008, 12:57
Yeah, the Cohos is on my lengthy short list. Though I hear the black flies can contribute to that "special insanity" if you time it
wrong.

It is why I hope to do the trail in Fall! I remember the bugs in New England all too well. :O

As for wool...well, I do wear a nifty wool sweater when ski touring. $15 at the Army/Navy store. :)

Bearpaw88
07-14-2008, 13:12

We can only dream of the short bus...

We'd be thrown out due to our odor :eek:

c.coyle
07-14-2008, 17:45
I hike to renew and strengthen my connection with God, as I understand him, and the universe. And, to a lesser extent, with people on a human-to-human basis. I never feel isolated when I'm out there.

saimyoji
07-15-2008, 08:09

Sure its not just that crazy orange color in the Mac N' Cheese? :D