PDA

View Full Version : AT Next year

Tonan230
07-11-2008, 16:43
I'm planning on hiking the AT next year when I graduate and I really don't want to do it alone. I'm having trouble finding people who want to go and I actually think might make it. Any tips on finding a partner/group?

dessertrat
07-11-2008, 16:44
Just go. You'll meet people on the trail, and being tied to one person (other than spouse, gf, etc) for the whole trip can be a negative.

mts4602
07-11-2008, 16:48
I'll say what many others have said in the past. Just go by yourself and you will find someone to hike with. It's hard to find someone before you start that first of all, wants to do it and has the time, but also your hiking speeds may differ, that person may decide to quit....the list goes on and on. Since you will be going in May I'm assuming, there will not be the thru hiking crowd as in say March or April, but there will be many others like yourself that just graduated and are starting the trail.

I myself graduate at the beginning of next May and I am looking at the possibility of thru hiking. If you find someone to go with, that's great, but if you don't then I think you'll be ok.

MTS

Ender
07-11-2008, 17:07
I would also add, I'm often surprised by the people that drop off the trail and the people who stay on. It has little to do with physical fitness, outdoor experience, or anything other than the desire to finish and a pretty big helping of luck. Never discount someone because you don't think they'll finish... often times it's those people that will go the whole way. You really can just never tell.

Aside from that, I echo... just go alone if you can't find anyone. If you do find someone who's willing to start with you, it'll make things a little less stressful in the planning stage, but don't count on hiking with that person the whole way, or even every day together. I started the AT with a couple people and only hiked with them a short time before we developed different hiking styles and speeds and went our seperate ways for days/weeks at a time. By the half way point, I never saw them again until after the trail.

Lyle
07-11-2008, 17:53
I'll say what many others have said in the past. Just go by yourself and you will find someone to hike with. It's hard to find someone before you start that first of all, wants to do it and has the time, but also your hiking speeds may differ, that person may decide to quit....the list goes on and on. Since you will be going in May I'm assuming, there will not be the thru hiking crowd as in say March or April, but there will be many others like yourself that just graduated and are starting the trail.

I myself graduate at the beginning of next May and I am looking at the possibility of thru hiking. If you find someone to go with, that's great, but if you don't then I think you'll be ok.

MTS

Agree with what everyone else has said. Just go hike, finding a partner will take care of itself - GAURANTEED :D

For example:

This past May i went down to Amicalola for a 17 day section hike. The first night I met a couple of other hikers at the shelter, camped with them every night of the first six days except one. They got off the trail in Hiawassee. At dinner that night in Hiawassee I met some folks. The next 8 days we hiked and camped together until I got off the trail at Fontana. No doubt I would have kept hiking with them if I had continued.

My point is that even in the off season, you will find others who you hit it off with and who hikes a similar pace. In the two weeks plus, I only camped one night alone, and it wasn't because I was trying to get away from anyone, just our mileage didn't coincide that particular stretch.

edit: If you do find a partner, my advise is to remain independent gear-wise. This will keep you from being "trapped" if things don't work out. If later on you find they do work well, then you start sharing gear. Just a thought.

MOWGLI
07-11-2008, 17:55
What they said. A bond tends to form with the people you meet initially. If you manage to make it all the way, you will never forget the people you first meet on the AT.

Blissful
07-11-2008, 19:51
You'll be in good company in no time when you start. Esp if it's between March 15 and April 1st.

Tonan230
07-12-2008, 00:56
Thanks for the advice, I am planning to go the day after I graduate if all goes to plan.

WalkingStick75
07-12-2008, 08:33
I was 18 when I planned my thru, I did find a partner to keep my family happy and it was the beginning of the end, nothing but a disaster. I have learned that it is next to impossible to find someone that wants to hike the same way you do, every day. Go by yourself, you will find several partners between GA and ME.

Enjoy your hike

Bare Bear
07-12-2008, 22:05
You will have an endless and at times trying parade of fellow hikers to join or avoid.

jessicacomp
07-13-2008, 09:42
I know that my friends and family would have loved it if I had found a hiking partner to start with. I asked a few of my friends who I thought might be interested. When all was said and done, I am really glad none of them would come with me because I think going out alone made for a better experience. I met half the people I ended up hiking with in the first 48 hours of being on the trail anyway.

Live the Journey
07-13-2008, 12:47
I am planning a 2009 GA-ME and I have the benefit of knowing a good handfull of past thru hikers. All but one of them started out alone and all of those folks seemed to agree that just because you're doing the trail solo doesn't mean you'll be alone. Which if you think about it is nice...you can start at your own pace and figure yourself and what you like and don't like out on your own and by that time you'll have met some people that share your pace and the rest figures itself out.
I'm banking on the fact that on any given day in March between 20 and 50 people will start the trail in GA...the probibility of not hitting strides with someone is pretty slim. Good luck!

Lone Wolf
07-13-2008, 12:50
Thanks for the advice, I am planning to go the day after I graduate if all goes to plan.

may, june? there won't be a lot starting NOBO then. you going SOBO?

Tonan230
07-14-2008, 15:15
I think so, unless I wait a year and go in 2010

Chaco Taco
07-18-2008, 21:28
I started on April 4th with 4 other people from the parking lit and have yet to stay in a shelter alone or be alone for more than a couple of miles. As you get into NC TN the crowds get larger. VA it starts to spread out more. Im in a group of about 15-20 within a few miles. You start to form little packs with people you end up with. Cool how it all works out. Good luck

prsncguy
07-21-2008, 13:48
I'm also going by myself and have received the same advice from everyone. Just get out there and do it and the rest will fall into place. Look forward to seeing you on the trail!