PDA

View Full Version : overnight hike/camping accessible from NYC, any advice?

bklynhiker
07-12-2008, 12:22
it is my first time on the trail and will be going with a group of friends. we are looking for somewhere we can get to by public transportation, hike in, camp, and hike out the next day. looking for somewhere beautiful, maybe with access to water/lake/pools? any one have any advice? Thanks a bunch

A-Train
07-12-2008, 13:25
1. Take the bus to Delaware Water Gap (Martz bus) and hike 3 miles up to Backpacker Campsite #2 on the Jersey side.

2. Take the bus to Bear Mtn Inn (Short Line bus) from Port Authority and hike north on AT. I believe there is a campsite (Hemlock Springs?) just up the hill, maybe someone can comment on this. I didn't bother checking it out.

3. Take Harlem line up to Pawling NY or the Appalachian Trail stop (only weekends). This takes about 2 hrs from Grand Central. Can hiked an easy 6 miles to Wiley Shelter, or 2-3 to Telephone Pioneer Shelter.

I would check out Paragon in Union Square or Tent N Trails in the Financial District for maps/AT guidebook, etc.

Ender
07-12-2008, 18:05
Ditto to what A-Train said. Also, there is a train station on the west side of Harriman St. Park as well, though I can't remember which one off the top of my head. They've built an access trail from the station to the AT, though I haven't hiked that yet.

LIhikers
07-12-2008, 21:51
Check out this web site for info about public transportation to various spots where you can hike and camp.
http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/no-car.html

My personal suggestion would be to go to Bear Mountain. From the south end of the large parking lot you can walk through the under-pass and then take the 1777 trail (or is it the 1779?) to the AT. Then follow the AT southbound to the blue blazed trail that takes you to the West Mountain Shelter. It's not a long hike and it should leave you with enough time, and day light, to figure out how to set up your tent and use other gear you brought along. There's no water right there so carry in what you need. Then once it gets dark you'll be able to see the NYC skyline on the horizon, if it's a clear night.

The most important thing you can bring with you will be the map of Harriman-Bear Mountain Trails, 11th Ed. July 2007 . You should be able to get them from the places A-Train suggested or you can order them from the people who make them, the New York/New Jersey Trail Conference
http://www.nynjtc.org/store/index.html