PDA

View Full Version : New Outfitter In Aiken County Sc!!!!!!!

Mrs Baggins
07-12-2008, 16:33
WOO HOO!!:banana:banana:banana At long last those of us who live in Aiken County South Carolina will no longer be forced to drive all the way to Augusta (or as I call it - UGH-gusta), Columbia, or worse yet all the way to Atlanta to buy gear!!! We're getting a new outfitter in town, Mammoth Outfitters. They are going to open Aug 2nd and will carry all big name, high quality gear. It's an independent store, being opened by a couple who were fed up (do I ever understand that!) not being able to find anything here and having to drive long distances. Believe me, there's not much in Augusta, either, except for an outfitter far more interested river rafters/kayakers than hikers.

So please, if you live in this area start patronizing this new store as soon as it opens so that we can keep them here!!!! We have a big enough problem with the "we don't need no new Yankee stores" :mad: attitude and I don't want to see these people get chased away!

ed bell
07-12-2008, 16:35
Looked for a website, but they don't have one yet. Here is a news article:http://www.aikenstandard.com/sports/0712Mammoth

mudcap
07-12-2008, 18:15
So please, if you live in this area start patronizing this new store as soon as it opens so that we can keep them here!!!! We have a big enough problem with the "we don't need no new Yankee stores" :mad: attitude and I don't want to see these people get chased away!

Are you serious on that? Not trying to stir things at all. I would think everyone would be thankful for a good place to buy gear. I know around here(Northern NY),I would not care who opened up shop. It would just be nice to have a chance to see gear,instead of ordering blind over the web.

Pepper Beard
07-12-2008, 21:32
I wish them well, rent for that shop is going to be through the roof there & parking is usually pretty bad especially around lunch time.. along with Aiken being a small market town. I think they do better on Whiskey Road myself in Aiken. At least they are around other high end shops. I spend a lot of time in SC and I'll stop by the next time I am in town.

Mrs Baggins
07-12-2008, 22:01
Are you serious on that? Not trying to stir things at all. I would think everyone would be thankful for a good place to buy gear. I know around here(Northern NY),I would not care who opened up shop. It would just be nice to have a chance to see gear,instead of ordering blind over the web.

Deadly serious. The newspaper has a section called "Talk Back" where people can anonymously call or email in comments. Too often, when there's talk of a new business coming to town, the comments of "we don't need it" and "go back where you came from if you want those stores" start appearing.

gold bond
07-12-2008, 23:15
This is great as the outfitters in Columbia have gotten less and less technical and more and more toward the clothing for the college kids!

Tennessee Viking
07-12-2008, 23:47
WOO HOO!!:banana:banana:banana At long last those of us who live in Aiken County South Carolina will no longer be forced to drive all the way to Augusta (or as I call it - UGH-gusta), Columbia, or worse yet all the way to Atlanta to buy gear!!! We're getting a new outfitter in town, Mammoth Outfitters. They are going to open Aug 2nd and will carry all big name, high quality gear. It's an independent store, being opened by a couple who were fed up (do I ever understand that!) not being able to find anything here and having to drive long distances. Believe me, there's not much in Augusta, either, except for an outfitter far more interested river rafters/kayakers than hikers.

So please, if you live in this area start patronizing this new store as soon as it opens so that we can keep them here!!!! We have a big enough problem with the "we don't need no new Yankee stores" :mad: attitude and I don't want to see these people get chased away!Don't forget the Mast in Greenville and a few other outfitters around there. Even though its a drive to Greenville Mast from Aiken, and having a small hiking department. I always loved their selection and prices.

sliderule
07-13-2008, 15:41
Believe me, there's not much in Augusta, either, except for an outfitter far more interested river rafters/kayakers than hikers.

There's a Bass Pro Shop on the way. And a rumor that REI won't be far behind.

MOWGLI
07-13-2008, 15:43
Sun Rift Adventures in Travelers Rest, SC is a great outfitter.

sliderule
07-13-2008, 15:43
... parking is usually pretty bad especially around lunch time..

No one goes there because it's so crowded!!!

mudcap
07-13-2008, 20:00
No one goes there because it's so crowded!!!

Cool,Another Yogi...ism.

mudcap
07-13-2008, 20:03
Deadly serious. The newspaper has a section called "Talk Back" where people can anonymously call or email in comments. Too often, when there's talk of a new business coming to town, the comments of "we don't need it" and "go back where you came from if you want those stores" start appearing.

Now that is just scary. Strange in this day and age.

sbennett
07-13-2008, 20:47
I actually heard a rumor about an REI opening in Greenville sometime...and why anyone would go to Mast General Store over the obviously superior Appalachian Outfitters, Half-Moon Outfitters, or Sunrift Adventures is beyond me....

MOWGLI
07-13-2008, 20:57
I actually heard a rumor about an REI opening in Greenville sometime...and why anyone would go to Mast General Store over the obviously superior Appalachian Outfitters, Half-Moon Outfitters, or Sunrift Adventures is beyond me....

Mast does a very good job fitting boots. Plus, they have some good gear, and some good prices. Plus, their Land Trust Day,held every year on National Trails Day dontaes big $$$ to protect open space. Those are a few reasons to shop there. But I agree, it's not a full blown outfitter.

Mrs Baggins
07-13-2008, 21:08
Now that is just scary. Strange in this day and age.

Which is why we're planning to leave here in another year.........you don't know the half of it. :mad:

mudcap
07-13-2008, 21:23
Which is why we're planning to leave here in another year.........you don't know the half of it. :mad:
Sorry to hear that. I guess I am naive,I just don't understand.

Tennessee Viking
07-13-2008, 22:36
I actually heard a rumor about an REI opening in Greenville sometime...and why anyone would go to Mast General Store over the obviously superior Appalachian Outfitters, Half-Moon Outfitters, or Sunrift Adventures is beyond me....Its the CANDY!!!

The Greenville store is actually one of their smaller stores. The original one outside of Boon, and the other stores in North Carolina are much bigger in hiking gear.

I got my Kelty pack about 30% off compared to some other outfitters I shop at.

sbennett
07-13-2008, 23:40
agreed, the Boone store is bigger and has better variety; i was merely questioning why people in Greenville would go to Mast for hiking related things rather than the local outfitters...i think sometimes people forget that there are 3 other stores around the Greenville area and i guess that i, personally, have had difficulty finding things that i want at Mast

candy is another matter altogether :)

IceAge
07-15-2008, 21:46
Hey! My dad lives in Aiken, how far off the trail is Aiken? I've never been on the AT south of NC and I guess I haven't looked at a map.

sliderule
07-15-2008, 23:28
Hey! My dad lives in Aiken, how far off the trail is Aiken? I've never been on the AT south of NC and I guess I haven't looked at a map.

In round figures, 150 miles. Not one of the more convenient "trail towns," for sure!!!

Pepper Beard
07-16-2008, 01:35
In round figures, 150 miles. Not one of the more convenient "trail towns," for sure!!!

And even the very under-used Palmetto trail is dozens of miles away. Aiken is home to Hitchcock Woods, one of the largest town parks in the country, but even that is only day hiking only. There are a few trails at the Sumter National Forest about 25 miles from Aiken. Like I said, kayaking and canoeing are by far the most popular outdoor activities in this area and the outfitter are going to have to cater to them to stay in business in my opinion. I hope this all works out for them.

Nearly Normal
07-16-2008, 03:57
Sorry to hear that. I guess I am naive,I just don't understand.

Locationally challenged.

Mrs Baggins
07-16-2008, 05:46

That's an understatement. Another reason we're going to leave here...........

IceAge
07-16-2008, 08:21
Ah well, here I was thinking I could go visit the old man and sneak in another section hike. Thanks for the info, though!