PDA

View Full Version : Moderators

SGT Rock
07-13-2008, 07:03
Howdy all.

In case you haven't noticed, we are getting some new moderators on board and we are in a learning mode. Bear with us...

The idea is to try and get some coverage on all forums. Some are harder than others to moderate and we are working on getting level headed members that can moderate without going overboard. It is a hard balance. We are working on getting that balance. Part of that is not putting too much on any one person.

Anyhow, we have a few holes yet to fill. We are looking for people that are interested. You don't have to put a lot of time into it, nor do you need mad computer skills or some specialized system.

Why am I putting this out? Well I would like to get some responses from people interested in helping out. That said, I don't want to take just anyone. Some people are great members but sometimes don't have the temperament to be a good moderator. We even make some people moderators and it doesn't always work out.

It isn't that there is anything wrong with you if we say no - it just means we don't think you would be a good candidate based on old posts. I'll beat up on a friend Lone Wolf here. I love him to death, but he would not be a good moderator.

And why straight forward? Lets face it, we are ruffling some feathers right now as we work through some things. I know this can turn into a heated thread as everyone gives their feedback of what is going wrong. I hear you loud and clear already, and everyone that knows me knows how to PM me and knows I am approachable. So for this thread I only want to get an answer as to who wants to help, and what forum you feel you would most be suited for.

Heater
07-13-2008, 07:45
Howdy all.

In case you haven't noticed, we are getting some new moderators on board and we are in a learning mode. Bear with us...

The idea is to try and get some coverage on all forums. Some are harder than others to moderate and we are working on getting level headed members that can moderate without going overboard. It is a hard balance. We are working on getting that balance. Part of that is not putting too much on any one person.

Anyhow, we have a few holes yet to fill. We are looking for people that are interested. You don't have to put a lot of time into it, nor do you need mad computer skills or some specialized system.

Why am I putting this out? Well I would like to get some responses from people interested in helping out. That said, I don't want to take just anyone. Some people are great members but sometimes don't have the temperament to be a good moderator. We even make some people moderators and it doesn't always work out.

It isn't that there is anything wrong with you if we say no - it just means we don't think you would be a good candidate based on old posts. I'll beat up on a friend Lone Wolf here. I love him to death, but he would not be a good moderator.

And why straight forward? Lets face it, we are ruffling some feathers right now as we work through some things. I know this can turn into a heated thread as everyone gives their feedback of what is going wrong. I hear you loud and clear already, and everyone that knows me knows how to PM me and knows I am approachable. So for this thread I only want to get an answer as to who wants to help, and what forum you feel you would most be suited for.

I know this post was probably, in part, directed at me. Sounds like fun and I'd really like to help out but at this time I must respectfully decline. :(

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-13-2008, 09:12
Hope you are able to find some good people and move on. Wonderful to hear that y'all realize that things have been a bit over-zealous. That gives me hope.

TJ aka Teej
07-13-2008, 09:59
Hi Rock,
I'll volunteer to mod some small forums like hostels/lodging in Maine, shelters in Maine, the MEGA subforum, and Baxter Park. I get on WB for about an hour 4-5 mornings a week, and if you think that's enough to handle these, I'll be glad to help out.

JAK
07-13-2008, 11:03
Rock,
Seriously, I don't think I have the right temperament, but I have alot of respect for all those that do, or at least give it an honest effort. I think all the administrators and moderators and participants are all doing great. Personally I like a very tight ship. Otherwise I have to be a total dick to 'express myself'. ;)

Go Moderators.

Bulldawg
07-13-2008, 12:07
I appreciate all the time the mods and admins put in here. While it seems to me that maybe the post count is down, it also seems to me that the posts that are here are more meaningful and people are exchanging some fine ideas.

While I would love to be contribute to the site somehow, I am like others. I don't think I have the right temperament for it. I get sucked in too easily and let my emotions override my common sense sometimes.

Again, thanks for the great site and good luck.

Bearpaw
07-13-2008, 12:21
I'd be willing to help out with the "member forums and trip reports" area where I post fairly often.

I'd also consider the "Other Long Trails" category, which seems to get relatively little traffic.

I don't know if I'd be right for the "General" forum. I think I'd probably clamp down a bit too hard for some. I think if I knew exactly what tone you're looking for in the "new" Whiteblaze, I'd know whether or not I'd be right for such a high-impact forum area.

Bulldawg
07-13-2008, 12:31
You know, honestly now that Bear mentions it. I would probably be willing to help out in the Hammock Camping section since I am a hammocker and in the Georgia shelters since I live in North Georgia near the trail. There shouldn't be too much contention in those two areas to get me riled up. But like Bear says, so of the more traveled forums would not work for me I don't think. It would be the least I could do to help out a site that has helped me tremendously.

trailangelmary
07-13-2008, 13:03
I would be willing to moderate the get togethers forums.

4eyedbuzzard
07-13-2008, 14:28
I would be willing to help out if you'd want me to in the General and or Trail Issues forums. I kind of like a good discussion/debate as long as it doesn't get personal.

Odd Thomas
07-13-2008, 14:33
I would be willing to help out if you'd want me to in the General and or Trail Issues forums. I kind of like a good discussion/debate as long as it doesn't get personal.

I second your nomination. :)

Two Speed
07-13-2008, 16:12
Gonna second Bulldawg for the Hammocking forum. He's making some of his own gear and is learning right fast. May or may not be the drop dead expert on the site, but I bet he'd do just fine.

sam4msu
07-13-2008, 21:21
I would be willing to moderate any of the forums that you need help in. I don't post all that often which might be a good thing for a mod. I would need a clear list of do's and don'ts. It would have to be clear cut before I would delete a post or warn a poster.

Cuffs
07-13-2008, 21:40
Hey Sam! How you been? We need to get some plans made for a get-together

Yea, Yea, I know... this is the straight forward... I'll send you a message soon!

Bulldawg
07-13-2008, 21:53
Gonna second Bulldawg for the Hammocking forum. He's making some of his own gear and is learning right fast. May or may not be the drop dead expert on the site, but I bet he'd do just fine.

I am far from the "drop dead expert" on the site. But I know enough to be dangerous. I will also not tell you that your way of hanging a hammock or your way of making a hammock are stupid or whatever. Whatever works for you is my mantra when it comes to hammocks.

angewrite
07-13-2008, 21:59
I'd be happy to help out. I spend enough time on here anyway ;)

Farr Away
07-13-2008, 22:04
I'd be willing to help out wherever you might need me. I don't post a lot, but I am 'on' fairly regularly.

SGT Rock
07-14-2008, 05:05
Thanks guys and gals. I have this so far:

Sheepdog for Homemade Gear
TJ for hostels and lodging
Bearpaw for hiker trip reports and maybe other long trails
Bulldawwg for hammock camping
Trailangelmary for get togethers
4eyedbuzzard for General
sam4msu for anything we need help in
angewrite for anything we need help in
Farr Away for anything we need help in

I've put you up for nomination. And for those that have chimed in - it is important to know yourself. To admit that you would love to help but probably wouldn't be cut out for it is a good thing. Thanks.

NorthCountryWoods
07-14-2008, 07:28
I'd be willing to help out with the "member forums and trip reports" area where I post fairly often.

I'd also consider the "Other Long Trails" category, which seems to get relatively little traffic.

I don't know if I'd be right for the "General" forum. I think I'd probably clamp down a bit too hard for some. I think if I knew exactly what tone you're looking for in the "new" Whiteblaze, I'd know whether or not I'd be right for such a high-impact forum area.

I'd volunteer for other long trails as well....they've been pretty drama free.

wahoo
07-14-2008, 08:13
I'd be glad to help out over in the Florida Trail section if you need another mod there.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-14-2008, 08:31
I've put you up for nomination. And for those that have chimed in - it is important to know yourself. To admit that you would love to help but probably wouldn't be cut out for it is a good thing. Thanks.Excellent advice. Not everyone is cut out for moderation - it takes a thick-skin, ability to step back and take several deep breaths as needed, and a strong stomach.

I moderated on this site for a while and am not interested in doing that again. There are several reason for my lack of interest, but only one is pertinent to this discussion:
The more people that are involved in moderation - the more voices that are involved in the day-to-day discussions and decisions that go into running a site this size - the better chance that the decisions will more adequately reflect the needs of the community as a whole.

JAK
07-14-2008, 08:50
Well, we can all at least try to make the moderators job easier. I will try to moderate myself as much as possible, and if one or two of my threads gets deleted I will take that as constructive criticism. It's tough sometimes. My humour is so underappreciated. ;)

"Sir, in my heart, I know I'm funny."

berninbush
07-14-2008, 08:52
I wouldn't necessarily want to be a moderator, but I might be able to help out in another way. My talent (and a huge part of my day job) is writing policies/ procedures/ reports/ clear communication. When I modded on another site, this was probably my biggest contribution-- writing up guidelines, helping the site owner put into words what he wanted in such a way that all the mods could understand and follow it. I resigned as a mod a long time ago because I don't necessarily enjoy the day-to-day grind, but they're still using my work (including my re-written user-friendly version of the forum rules).

If you'd like help with this on a "consultant" basis, I'd be willing.

SteveJ
07-14-2008, 10:57
Quick question re: this topic. My assumption has been that most moderators currently in place will continue in that role. For example, I think the Dog Forum, which was potentially a place for a lot of acrimony when it was first started, has gone well because the moderators have consistently applied the TOS to the forum. If you're looking for additional help, I'd be happy to help there, but am not sure that it's necessary!

It would also be helpful if you'd let us know where you need the help... If there are forums that need additional moderators, let us know, and those with an interest in that forum can take a look at it...

That being said, I'd be willing to help out in the Dogs on the AT forum, The GA and NC and Tenn subforums for AT Shelters and Lean-to's, Hammock Camping (tho' certainly not as an "expert" - there are many here with more expertise than I....), Health, Safety and Hygiene, or any of the Gear forums....

Steve

oh - kudos to ATTRoll and Sgt Rock. Thank you for your efforts here!

Bulldawg
07-14-2008, 11:07
Thanks guys and gals. I have this so far:

Sheepdog for Homemade Gear
TJ for hostels and lodging
Bearpaw for hiker trip reports and maybe other long trails
Bulldawwg for hammock camping
Trailangelmary for get togethers
4eyedbuzzard for General
sam4msu for anything we need help in
angewrite for anything we need help in
Farr Away for anything we need help in

I've put you up for nomination. And for those that have chimed in - it is important to know yourself. To admit that you would love to help but probably wouldn't be cut out for it is a good thing. Thanks.

Thanks Rock! I really appreciate the opportunity to possibly give a little something back to a site that has given me so much. And I know I've said it before, but I really appreciate all you and ATtroll have done to keep this site up and running for those of us who like to lurk here and learn all we can. Thanks!!

Flush2wice
07-14-2008, 12:17
Whats it pay?

jlb2012
07-14-2008, 12:32
not enough

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-14-2008, 13:07
Whats it pay?
Motrin for the headache: $2.50
Tums to calm the timid tummy: $1.78
The satisfaction of knowing you are giving back - priceless

envirodiver
07-14-2008, 15:45
Rock, if you see a place that you think may be right for me to help out I will. I'm on here a fair amount already. I could help in the "Other Trails" particularly the BMT. Maybe some gear forums.

I'll also help elsewhere if need be.

jzakhar
07-14-2008, 15:59
Cant say I have the people skills or temperament for moderation. However I happily offer up my skills as a php/mysql programmer (much experience with vbulletin) and unix administrator if they could be useful..

-Blackberry

Lillianp
07-14-2008, 16:07
If you need anyone on the Female Hiking Forums, I lurk there quite a bit. (As you can see by post number..I lurk more than I actually say anything). I think I'd be ok at moderating, but as I've never done so, I don't know. I'd need to know basics of what's ok and what's not there at first, so I know what the base line is, at least for touchier items.

Yukon
07-14-2008, 16:08
It's a lot of fun picking moderator's eh rock? I have been doing this stuff on my site for years now and it's always tough finding the right staff. Good luck buddy! :)

Bearpaw
07-14-2008, 20:58

Rock, I know you need reliable help in the General Forum. Due to the sheer volume of posts, it needs a great deal of attention since it attracts so many divergent ideas and opinions.

I think what I really want to know is what tone are you looking for there? I know a mod would need to enforce the TOS. That's obvious. But what interaction should a moderator make when someone begins personal attacks? What should the mod do when someone steers the thread completely off topic and has opened up a heated debate that in no way addresses the original topic?

I see a number of off-topic comments as useful because they bring up points that the OP may not have even thought about, but there are also o-t rants that might best be flushed. Where in that continuum do you typically fall in your views about moderation.

On The Lightweight Backpacker, we mods often post in the mods forum about how we feel we ought to deal with a situation that is developing, and get some input from others. Here, things happen much quicker, and the situation could blow into full-on hate and discontent in the space of half an hour. It seems a mod would have to react fairly quickly, without the benefit of conference in many cases. In the Marine Corps (and in the Army IIRC), we always used the idea of "commander's intent" to guide our decisions toward what the ultimate goal of a mission should be.

Is there a commander's intent for what acceptable behavior looks like on WB? Is there a preferred policy of PM the offender, prompt the offender on the thread, delete the forum, etc? I know there will be exceptions and responses tailor-made to a situation, but is there a general idea of what to do?

I would be willing to moderate in the General forum if I have a solid idea of what is expected of me. Feel free to PM, or if you want to let others know give uys some ideas or examples here. I appreciate your time and all your efforts here.

SGT Rock
07-14-2008, 21:35
Sorry I'm not getting back at this fast enough, I am having internet connection issues.

berninbush
07-14-2008, 21:55
Excellent questions, Bearpaw. That's exactly what I'm offering to help the admins decide and articulate. You gotta have some concrete policies or things will be dealt with very unevenly, and people will end up justly upset.

Good luck with your 'net, Rock.

TOW
07-14-2008, 22:44
I'll moderate the nose pickers forum.

There is a nose pickers forum isn't there?

rafe
07-14-2008, 22:46

That snot funny.

Heater
07-14-2008, 22:49

No, but I am king of the nosepicker buggerflickers.
Bow down.

TOW
07-14-2008, 22:51
No, but I am king of the nosepicker buggerflickers.
Bow down.
I can see you need moderated righ now! Where's my kick them off of this forum button anyway? Let's see I'll push this one.................:eek:

rafe
07-14-2008, 22:54
I can see you need moderated righ now! Where's my kick them off of this forum button anyway? Let's see I'll push this one.................:eek:

The TOW key...

http://www.unoriginal.co.uk/comics/toon222god.jpg

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2008, 22:55
not enough

Bad, Bad < Bad, HOI too much truth will eventually set u free,

TOW
07-14-2008, 22:58
the Tow Key...

http://www.unoriginal.co.uk/comics/toon222god.jpg
Yeah!!!!!!!!!

Heater
07-14-2008, 23:04
Yeah!!!!!!!!!

So, you are going to smite me... or did you already? I dunno. :confused:

TOW
07-14-2008, 23:08
So, you are going to smite me... or did you already? I dunno. :confused:
Doesn't seem to be working tonight? Oh, a mesage has just come across the screen that said I have met my smiting quota already.........

You are lucky tonight pal.........

Captain
07-15-2008, 02:18
captain would be glad to help if possible in anyway, be it MOD or not ill have some serious time on my hands for atleast the next 6 months

whitefoot_hp
07-15-2008, 11:24
since its obvious this is a thread begging me to be a moderator, i guess i will submit to my civic duty...

MOWGLI
07-15-2008, 11:31
since its obvious this is a thread begging me to be a moderator, i guess i will submit to my civic duty...

Self moderation is always a good thing. :)

whitefoot_hp
07-15-2008, 11:50
Self moderation is always a good thing. :)
indeed. and a tough thing as well.

SGT Rock
07-16-2008, 16:22
I am going to temporarily shut this thread off until I catch up. I got everyone I see so far marked down and I am putting it up to the comittee for recomendations.

Thanks

SGT Rock
07-16-2008, 17:36
OK, I am caught back up. I have added the following nominations to the Comittee from feedback on this thread:

NorthCountryWoods - other long trails.
wahoo - florida trail
SteveJ - Dogs, TN/NC/GA Shelters, hammock camping, gear, hygiene.
envirodriver - other trails
jzkahar - programmer (that is an interesting idea) has a large background with forum software.
Lillanp - women forums
Captain - anything

FWIW, Gear and other long trails are well covered. What we are still working on:

Donating members forum: **** and ****

Articles: Doctari and *****
RSS Feed: Doctari and ****
Forum Help Topics: **** and ****
Class of XXXX: **** and *****
Hiker Location Report: Wise Old Owl and ****
Trail News and Updates: Sly and ****
Mail Drops: Wise old Owl and ****
AT Shelters and Lean-Tos: RITBlake and ****
Campsites: Wise Old Owl and ****
Trail Towns and Hiker Services: The Goat and ****
Hooking Up: **** and ****
Hiker Locator: **** and ****
Trail Heads and Shuttles: **** and ****
Cooking and Food: **** and ****
Health, Safety, and Hygine: HikerRanky and ****
Special Points of Interest: **** and ****
Parks, Forrests, and Wilderness Areas: Sly and ****
Wildlife: Sly and ****
Volunteer Maintenance Call: buliwyf and ****
General AT Polls: **** and ****
Gear Polls: **** and ****
Gear Reviews: **** and ****
Sensitive Trail Subjects: Wise Old Owl, **** and ****

Anywhere you see a **** this means no one is on that position.

Farr Away
07-16-2008, 23:01
I'd be willing to do cooking and food - not that I think it needs much moderating.

-FA

Bulldawg
07-16-2008, 23:03
I'd be willing to do cooking and food - not that I think it needs much moderating.

-FA

Cooking and food would work for me too. Anyone who has hiked with me knows how much I like to eat!!!:D

John B
07-17-2008, 07:17
In re #50, wow, that's a lot of Barney Fifes for little ol' Mayberry. Is there really a need for so many volunteer censors?

I know things got a bit out of hand for a while, but have you guys thought that you may be going too far to the other extreme? Trains running on time and all that? I thought we were doing a pretty decent job of controlling ourselves.

Marta
07-17-2008, 07:34
For myself and other potential volunteers, I've got a couple of questions about the duties:

1) How much time per day would be expected? For instance, I usually check in on Whiteblaze in the morning while I'm eating breakfast, then irregularly during the day while I'm at work, and occasionally in the evening, if I'm at home. I rarely look in on weekends. Would that sort of presence be often enough to be useful in sharing moderator duties?

2) How difficult are the technical aspects? It's not something I know much about.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-17-2008, 07:49
Time needed depends on what you choose to moderate - it takes way more time to mod the General forum than the Other Trails Forum because of volume of posts

As for technical difficulty - if you can navigate the site you can do this. It takes a while to learn how to do some things. I've helped several of the new mods with 'how to' questions when no one from here was available.

Bearpaw
07-17-2008, 10:50
In re #50, wow, that's a lot of Barney Fifes for little ol' Mayberry. Is there really a need for so many volunteer censors?

I know things got a bit out of hand for a while, but have you guys thought that you may be going too far to the other extreme? Trains running on time and all that? I thought we were doing a pretty decent job of controlling ourselves.

The key with a plan like this is redundency. One VERY focused person might be able to handle the politics forum, if they didn't have a day job to worry about and didn't sleep. But what happens when that mod goes hiking for a week? (Hiking is what we came here for after all). Now there is a gaping hole, or some mod not nearly so familiar with the issues in that forum has to step in.

With multiple mods, especially in the more high impact areas, you can achieve continuous, consistent coverage. and the moderators don't have to give up the other facets of their lives.

BTW, moderating does not equate to censoring. In severe cases, perhaps yes, but steering folks along the way to reasoned debate is often more effective.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-17-2008, 14:19
I said this before, but it bears repeating. Spreading the moderating duties out over a wider group will make this a stronger and better site IMO. I've helped out in the past with a much more limited group and this site is just too large and too active for a handful of people to successfully moderate - they get burned out and beaten down.

Having more people on the moderation team also brings in divergent POVs and insights - this will lead to better-formulated moderation decisions IMO.

I wish WB well with this endeavor. It has come a bit too late for some of us to want to continue to help build up WB.

SGT Rock
07-17-2008, 14:33
For myself and other potential volunteers, I've got a couple of questions about the duties:

1) How much time per day would be expected? For instance, I usually check in on Whiteblaze in the morning while I'm eating breakfast, then irregularly during the day while I'm at work, and occasionally in the evening, if I'm at home. I rarely look in on weekends. Would that sort of presence be often enough to be useful in sharing moderator duties?
As much as you can spare. If you only want to spend a coupld of hours looking around - then that is fine by me. I think the idea is to have someone to help steer some topics when they start to heat up rather than delete them or edit them. Those solutions sometimes cause more problems than they fix.

2) How difficult are the technical aspects? It's not something I know much about.
About as hard as using WhiteBlaze is now.

Marta
07-17-2008, 14:42
I'd be willing to help out in one or two of the less-active forums.

SGT Rock
07-17-2008, 15:52
Hey y'all. Straight Forwad thread. the question was for moderator calls and answers to the call - not censorship and personal feelings. If you remember post 1 I asked you comment on that in the thread about that...

So back to business:

NorthCountryWoods - other long trails.
wahoo - florida trail
envirodriver - other trails

I thank you guys for coming up the the plate. I think we have trails all covered deeper than we need at this point.

SteveJ - Dogs, TN/NC/GA Shelters, hammock camping, gear, hygiene.
Lillanp - women forums
Captain - anything
Farr Away - food and cooking
Marta - any 2 simple ones

Working your nominations now.

jzkahar - programmer (that is an interesting idea) has a large background with forum software.

We are still kicking this idea around. It is one we hadn't contemplated when we started this.

That is a current status for those that have volunteered.

berninbush
07-17-2008, 16:26
I wouldn't necessarily want to be a moderator, but I might be able to help out in another way. My talent (and a huge part of my day job) is writing policies/ procedures/ reports/ clear communication. When I modded on another site, this was probably my biggest contribution-- writing up guidelines, helping the site owner put into words what he wanted in such a way that all the mods could understand and follow it. I resigned as a mod a long time ago because I don't necessarily enjoy the day-to-day grind, but they're still using my work (including my re-written user-friendly version of the forum rules).

If you'd like help with this on a "consultant" basis, I'd be willing.

I did volunteer also. You may feel this isn't a need, and that's absolutely fine... just wanted to make sure it didn't get accidentally overlooked.

Kerosene
07-17-2008, 16:34
That is a current status for those that have volunteered.Rock just assigned me the Donating Members forum. I've read the guidelines, re-read the TOS, and skimmed some of the posts in the ultra-secret Moderators forum. Hopefully I won't have to bother anyone with dumb questions...but that won't stop me from asking them anyway.

saimyoji
07-17-2008, 19:59
I must have missed something I guess. Could you let us know what all the new colors represent?

Blue=member
Green=donating member
Red= moderator
Black= admin?
Yellow???

SGT Rock
07-18-2008, 05:49
I did volunteer also. You may feel this isn't a need, and that's absolutely fine... just wanted to make sure it didn't get accidentally overlooked.
I did accidently overlook you. My bad. PM me please!

I must have missed something I guess. Could you let us know what all the new colors represent?

Blue=member
Green=donating member
Red= moderator
Black= admin?
Yellow???
Black is admin. Yellow? I gotta look that one up.

For the record. I am going to close this thread. I have a lot of new moderators. My goal now is to finish getting a few nominated and placed - then work with them. We have taken a large, rapid expansion of the moderator pool and we need to get all cylinders firing before trying to add more.

Thanks!