PDA

View Full Version : Mummy Bag

prsncguy
07-13-2008, 17:23
What is the most durable, lightest and economical 20 degree sleeping bag? It is the one piece of gear that I am having the most trouble deciding on for my first thru-hike in 2009. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

adamkrz
07-13-2008, 17:34
I really like my Montbell UL SS #2 down bag, It's light and compacts very small, The big plus is that it stretches to allow ample movement, I always felt claustrophobic with any other mummy bag..

bigcranky
07-13-2008, 18:48
"Durable" and "Light" don't usually go together. "Economical" means different things to different people.

Down is, generally speaking, more durable than synthetic insulation. It's also lighter, and more expensive. But it will last a lot longer, so it becomes more economical in the long run. There are several inexpensive "20 degree" down bags that get good reviews, though they are probably not as warm as advertised. The Campmor down bag is one, as is the REI Sub Kilo bag. You can spend more on a top of the line bag from Montbell, Western Mountaineering, or Marmot, among others. The extra money buys less weight and more warmth.

If you really need bulletproof, something like the Cat's Meow from The North Face is good. It's a synthetic bag with a heavier, more durable shell fabric. The insulation won't maintain its loft as long as a down bag would, but the bag is overall quite durable. It's also less expensive, but of course it's heavier than anything listed above.

bigcranky
07-13-2008, 18:50
Also, your choice of bag will depend on when you start and which direction you want to walk. A northbounder starting in mid-February will probably want two bags -- a warmer bag for the start, and a summer bag for later. A southbounder would probably want the reverse. If you start in Georgia in late April, one 20-F or 30-F bag would probably suffice.

4eyedbuzzard
07-13-2008, 18:56
"durable, lightest and economical" don't really go together all that well.

Usually the lighter, the less durable. And economical will rarely get you light or durable. Kind of all a compromise. I wouldn't worry too much about the durable factor as most bags hold up quite well. I've got a North Face Blue Kazoo bag that's 18 years old and it's still in good condition.

I'd focus more on weight and try to stay under 2 1/2 lbs on a reasonable, but not top quality 20F bag. Use google shopping and others to try to find sales and lowest prices. If you are going to use only a single 20F bag on the entire thru-hike make sure it is a full zipper model for warmer nights in the summer.

prsncguy
07-13-2008, 19:22
Thanks folks! I am starting March 15 going NOBO. Is there a particular brand that seems to impress more than others? I would prefer not to spend more than $129 or so.

2XL
07-13-2008, 20:53
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40066

Take a look at this Campmor 20 degree $129.99 for the long $119.99 for reg.

take-a-knee
07-13-2008, 22:00
NF Cat's Meow is the most bag for the buck, Campmor often has last year's model for cheap.

drastic_quench
07-13-2008, 22:21
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40066

Take a look at this Campmor 20 degree $129.99 for the long $119.99 for reg.
I have that exact bag. I'd recommend it. It's your basic down mummy bag. No frills - packs small and light, and it's purple (more so than the picture lets on).

buz
07-14-2008, 11:16
We use lots of that Campmor bag in our scout troop. Depending on your sleeping habits, "hot or cold", IMO, that is not a true 20 degree bag. More like 30 degree with out personal layering. It is a value bag for the money, just not a true 20 degree bag. We like them. I have a Montbell SS #2 that I love and it is for me anyway, a true 20 degree bag. Got it on sale thou, as it is pretty spendy otherwise. Love the stretch feature.

fiddlehead
07-14-2008, 12:27
Hummingbird by Feathered Friends Best choice i ever made.
Durable: did 4 thrus' with it. the zipper is now a little stiff
Lightweight: I'm not into weighing all my gear and talking about how much my base weight weighs but i think it's around 1 lb 12 oz. for the one with the half zip (like i have)
Economical: about $300 back when i bought it in '95. Would've probably gone through 2 bags that would've cost half as much so, i guess it's economical if you look at it that way. I wouldn't think about money when it comes to my sleeping bag. It's the most important piece of gear i have arguably with my tarp (sil shelter by integral designs)

Anyway, good luck with your decision. If you're a big person, the hummingbird isn't for you.

tiptoe
07-14-2008, 17:06
I'm pretty happy with my EMS Mountain Light bag (women's version). I bought it a few years ago on sale for about $200, and it weighs 2 lb.

Bear Cables
07-15-2008, 21:24
I purchased a northface flight sieres "B-line" 850 down fill @ 1.5 oz. It is a 30 degree bag but you can add a summit to sea liner @ 9oz to take it down to a 15 degree bag. The bag was about 239.00 . I don't remember the price of the liner but it's not expensive.

LIhikers
07-16-2008, 07:17
If you can up your budget for the sleeping bag I'll recommend the Montbell UL,SS #2. They call it a 25 degree bag but I've used mine down into the teens and been comfortable while wearing just a T shirt and light weight underwear.

winger
07-16-2008, 13:37
Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends.