PDA

View Full Version : N. GA Winter Storm

Chappy
02-26-2004, 19:30
While home for a few days from Korea I did a day hike from Hogpen Gap to Unicoi Gap on 24 Feb. Weather was nice until Wed (25 Feb) and today. Prediction was for 6 inches of snow in the Blairsville and Hiawassee area. I left late last night and not sure how much it actually snowed, but sure it was a lot. Forecast tonight is for more snow and dipping temps. Met four thru hikers during my day hike and they were trying to get to Hiawassee ahead of the storm.
I return to Korea Saturday. Hopefully, this time next year I'll be on my thru hike!! Hooaah....

Coosa
02-26-2004, 19:48
:dance

We had some snow here in Blairsville. They closed the schools, I didn't have to go to work today, either. The snow here was gone before noon. In the mountains (I'm at about 1600 ft) there's still snow and ice. I imagine Hiawassee got more than we did. They usually do. Blairsville normally only receives bad weather if it comes in from the West. We have mountains surrounding the other 3 directions. Which means the mountains probably got quite a bit of snow.

It's supposed to snow again tonight. The sad thing is that I have to wake up to find out if I can sleep in.

Be safe, Chappy. Come back to hike the AT, it'll be waiting for you.

--Later, Auntie Coosa --

Brushy Sage
02-27-2004, 23:00
The storm moved up through central North Carolina and left record amounts of snow in the Charlotte area. It produced lighter amounts here in western NC, and that is melting rapidly. Asheville got maybe two inches, which melted the same day. The higher ridges will still have some snow, but weekend temps are predicted to be near 60 here at 2,500 ft. This is weather typical of springtime in the southern Appalachians. At elevation, it might dip to 15 degrees one night, and get up to 40 the next day. Having extended periods of time with deep snow on the AT is not something to expect this time of the year. That doesn't mean send the winter weight sleeping bag or clothes home -- because the higher peaks can see very low temps right on into mid spring.