PDA

View Full Version : Maryland hike advice

joec
07-14-2008, 07:50
I will be starting at the Pa-Md line and hiking into Harpers Ferry. Any info and advice will be appreciated. Starting on Aug. 10th.

Lone Wolf
07-14-2008, 07:53
have some dollar bills for the coke machines, stay at dahlgren campground and maybe stop at the dogpatch tavern

rafe
07-14-2008, 08:00
This being a short hike you probably don't want a hostel on your first night -- but the FreeState Hiker hostel is one of the nicest on the AT, imo. It's just down the road (~0.3 mile) from Ensign Cowall shelter.

earlyriser26
07-14-2008, 08:14
While one of the easiest hikes on the trail, this is one of my favorites. Be sure to go to the observation platform on top of the Washington monument. It has surprisingly good views if it is open. Dahlgren campground is free and last time I was there it had showers! A little close to the road for my taste. Gathland state park is cool and has a soft drink machine. Weaverton cliffs, just a little off AT, great view. C&O towpath (what you rarely get on the AT, a pleasant stroll).

joec
07-14-2008, 09:06
My wife and two young adult daughters will be joining me for the last 10 miles. If we decide to go past Ed Garvey shelter and camp down by the river, are there good tent campsites on the river?

Mrs Baggins
07-14-2008, 09:19
My wife and two young adult daughters will be joining me for the last 10 miles. If we decide to go past Ed Garvey shelter and camp down by the river, are there good tent campsites on the river?

There are some flat areas to the left of the path but not many. Much of it tilts down towards the river. And keep in mind that the path is a VERY public place! If the weather is decent it will be end to end with day hikers and bikers all day long and well into the evenings. Not a real private place to put up a tent. By the time you're on the path you're so close to HF that it's really not worth setting up a campsite anyway. Head on into town and have dinner at the Secret Six Tavern outside on the deck.

There are primitive campsite areas on other sections of the path that are much more suitable and at least a little less public.

wilconow
07-14-2008, 09:22

There was the Weverton campsite, but it's closed

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.786991/

Weverton Campsite closure - The C&O Canal National Historic Park has closed this campsite. Located 2.5 miles north of Harpers Ferry along the section of the A.T. on the C&O Canal, this former campsite is still described in the current edition A.T. Guide to Maryland and Northern Virginia. Dispersed camping is not permitted along the A.T. in Maryland; the closest designated campsite is the Ed Garvey Shelter, 3.5 miles north.

Undershaft
07-14-2008, 11:44
Visit all the views: Weaverton cliffs, White Rock cilffs, Washington monument, Annapolis rocks, Black rock, Raven rock, High rock. They are all right on the trail, or a short distance off the trail. Be sure to stop and absorb all the neat history and civil war monuments.

rubyvermonter
07-14-2008, 12:32
I'll be backpacking from Windsor Furnace, PA to Harper's Ferry, starting around 8/3 or 8/4 and expect to be coming through the PA/MD border around 8/10. See you on the trail.

Rubyvermonter