PDA

View Full Version : Spot Satellite Messenger & Personal Tracker

Big Guy
07-14-2008, 09:04
I am looking at purchasing the Spot Satellite Messenger & Personal Tracker. Any feedback as to usefulness, problems, limitations would be useful. Thanks for any comments.

Phreak
07-14-2008, 09:23
I am looking at purchasing the Spot Satellite Messenger & Personal Tracker. Any feedback as to usefulness, problems, limitations would be useful. Thanks for any comments.

My wife purchased me one back in March, and it's been working perfectly.

I've been able to successfully send all my "Ok" alerts, whether I'm at a peak, or down in a valley, heavily wooded areas, inclement weather, etc. My average send time is 4-6 minutes, but can take up to 20 minutes for the alert to transmit.

It's been used/tested on the GA AT, AL Pinhoti, AT - Grayson Highlands to Damascus, and in the Joyce Kilmer area.

I haven't experienced any issues so far.

Mags
07-14-2008, 12:46
Another view. NOTE: I have yet to use it myself (nor do I plan to)

On paper, the SPOT unit is an innovative concept for improving backcountry safety. In the field, it did not deliver "virtually every message" as the SPOT unit's literature claims, and the unit has usability problems. As such, we believe is has yet to deliver its promised functionality and message delivery reliably.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/spot_satellite_personal_tracker.html

max patch
07-14-2008, 13:01
I don't see the purpose of this device.

If all is well you (hopefully) send out a prerecorded message to that effect.

What happens if all is well but you can't get a signal. Then what? Does the intended recipient panic for no reason?

What happens if you have an accident but can't get a signal. Perhaps your loved ones have a false sense of security.

Even worse...if you do a google search you'll see that a famous mountain climber had one of these things and it accidentally went off and broadcast the prerecorded emergency message. During winter I believe. A search party ensued for no reason. Loved ones were worried for no reason.

I don't carry a cell when I hike, but I'd carry one before I'd waste my money on one of these things.

Ramble~On
07-14-2008, 17:02
Here's a link to a recent thread

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39011

These devices and guns have a lot in common and both can easily spark a debate.
1)Both require the user to be responsible.
2)They're nice to have if you "need" them
3)They provide a sense of security for those who carry them
4)If used irresponsibly they can ruin your or someone else's day
5)What you carry in your pack is your business
6)If the shoe fits....wear it.

I like to solo hike and I like to hike "off the beaten path".
I don't carry a gun and I don't have one of these things although I see
these as being something worthwile and useful and something I would buy if my priorities allowed.
I also think that there's gonna be a percentage of people using these things as a panic button to summon S&R when they get in over their head.
I'm affraid that these devices (as cell phones and GPS's have done) will provide Billy the Common Idiot the false sense of protection that he needs to venture out of his league and get lost or hurt in the woods...causing
personnel from the agencies that handle such events to needlessly put themselves in harms way at a cost to everyone and take away those same folks ability to respond to "real" emergencies.

kayak karl
07-14-2008, 17:38
this was a test i did http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37434
i like using it and tracking where i went and mapping it out. my son likes seeing where we went and family at home can follow our progress. use it alot with kayaks.
as for the 911, i dont know. if i was in the wilderness i would want a more expensive one that could be tracked without the middle man.

I Love my TOYS:)

shoe
07-14-2008, 17:44
I carry one nad have no issues with messages being received.
Mine has been used in the Smokies, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Georgia.

It does not give me a false sense of security and neither does carrying my cell phone.
It does give my family a peace of mind. They know that it's possible that a message might not get through and not to worry unless it's been 4 days.

It does work in an emergency situation, first hand experience back in June when my hiking partner broke her ankle and couldn't hobble out.

And it would pretty hard to have the thing accidently go off. The buttons are recessed and you have to press them down for several seconds. Not sure how that one happened.

I have the tracking mode and sometimes it's cool to go back and look at a hike and see where you've been.

Phreak
07-14-2008, 19:15
And it would pretty hard to have the thing accidently go off. The buttons are recessed and you have to press them down for several seconds. Not sure how that one happened.

I made a simple cover that attaches to my SPOT, with the HELP & 911 buttons covered, and the ON/OFF and OK buttons are visible. I did this to be certain the HELP or 911 would not accidentally be pressed.

dla
07-15-2008, 01:07

I love it. I got one for Father's day. If I can see the sky, SPOT can see the sky and get the message out. It won't work in the bushes or under dense canopy. You've got to be able to see 20* of the sky.

SPOT gives me the freedom to go wandering and yet keep my loved ones informed. My wife and adult children love it.

I bought the tracking feature (at half-price) and it's a mixed bag as to whether it's worth the money. Tracking puts out a message every 10minutes if the unit can see the sky. But when you look at all of the tracking points later on, say on Google Earth, what is the value? They're interesting, but not all that important.

The OK message (and the help and 911) messages can be sent via email and text message. The tracking only goes to the shared webpage you set up for other's to view your trip.

I select and export my messages as kml so that I can look at them with Google Earth. The shared webpage you set up for others uses Google Maps which isn't as interesting to me.

I sewed a simple strap to the top of my pack to hook the clip onto. I hold the clip together with a rubber band around the unit. There's like zero chance of accidently hitting the 911 button. I added a short lanyard to an attach point so as to capture the unit if gets knocked off the pack.

Is it worth the $250 - yes. Is it a substitute for an EPLB? - mostly as it does 95% of what the EPLB does and it also lets you get a message out. Does it help SAR find you? - definitely. If you drop dead from a heart attack SAR will start from the last track or OK message coordinates - they don't have to scan trailheads for your vehicle, etc. If you are alive enough to push the 911 button, SAR will know right where to find you and even if the unit can't get a GPS fix, SAR will be alerted and they can start from the last track or OK message coordinates.

Sidewinder
07-15-2008, 09:18
I sewed a simple strap to the top of my pack to hook the clip onto. I hold the clip together with a rubber band around the unit. There's like zero chance of accidently hitting the 911 button. I added a short lanyard to an attach point so as to capture the unit if gets knocked off the pack.

Good idea, especially for track mode. I have a unit and the clip that comes on it doesn't hold the it on my belt or any other strap on my pack, every time I bend over or sit the pack down it comes of.

tlbj6142
07-15-2008, 10:10
I find it odd that everyone that has one loves it, but "professional" reviewers all hate it, find it way too unreliable, costly and heavy. Weird. Maybe the expectation level is different for both groups???

I'd buy one in a second, if it were a bit lighter and had a pay-per-message model instead of the annual fee model. I just don't get out that often, but I would love to be able to provide updates when I do get out. I'd pay $2 per message.

I haven't been able to talk to him in person yet, but from reading my brother's PCT blog (http://caseyonpct.blogspot.com/2008/06/incident-at-wood-creek.html), it sounds like one was used when he had some serious Hypothermia.

Sidewinder
07-15-2008, 10:33
tlbj6142- I understand what you're saying, but I think if you read the posts again and from past posts I've read on WB we carry the device so our loved ones at home can have peace of mind. True, it's heavy 7.5 oz, but that's a small amount of weight overall. I don't have a problem with the units price or monitoring fee, now if I only went out 1 or 2 days every 3-4 months then I might rethink whether or not it was worth it. The majority of my hiking I do alone and this is what concerns my family, "what if", however they do understand the device has to have a clear view of the sky. I will send the "OK" when I get to road crossings, on balds or vistas. They also understand I may not have a clear view everyday, so we have an understanding they don't send out the Calvary unless I'm way over due. Each trip depending on how long I'll be out we set a time limit on when they should get concerned if they don't get a signal. I also leave a hike schedule with them so in the event I don't return home they know where to send the Calvary.

tlbj6142
07-15-2008, 11:14
Also, given that the device is a GPS unit, why not just have a simple LCD display that shows your current location and can provide status information (did I really just hit the help button?).

I suspect we will see "better" versions of SPOT in the future.

Quoddy
07-15-2008, 11:38
Since this is the third tread on the same subject I won't go into detail, but as I've said before this is basically a piece of junk which uses the very cheapest chipset along with an unreliable satellite system. Yes, it does work somtimes, and sometimes not. I paid for the year, and after testing it used the unit twice, then stuck it in a drawer where it can be used as a paperweight.... works great as a paperweight.

Sidewinder
07-15-2008, 12:33

I agree and lighter too

over all I've been very satisfied with my unit

dla
07-15-2008, 20:02
If you don't have loved ones, then SPOT doesn't offer anything over an EPLB and/or cheap GPS. But for those of us who do have a life, SPOT offers a bit of peace of mind that I can't provide at a better price/convenience point.

I spend a heck of lot more on other tools for peace of mind.

tlbj6142
07-16-2008, 01:41
I have loved ones. But everything i read says it is unreliable. Unreliable results in more "loved ones" anxiety that no calls at all.

Marta
07-16-2008, 02:31
A fellow who started the CDT SOBO this year was carrying one, and ended up activating it, and being rescued, and being helicoptered to the hospital. I guess it worked for him.

That said, I'm not planning to get one for myself.

Nearly Normal
07-16-2008, 03:27
Why not get the implant?

dla
07-17-2008, 23:36
I have loved ones. But everything i read says it is unreliable. Unreliable results in more "loved ones" anxiety that no calls at all.

What is unreliable about sending an OK message to loved ones when your plans have changed and you're on a different trail?

Even if you drop dead, SAR knows where to start and they'll find you in a hurry.

SPOT allows you to communicate your location before you have an emergency, either by tracking or OK messages. It also allows you to request non-life threatening help.

tlbj6142
07-18-2008, 00:37
What is unreliable about sending an OK messageHere are the quotes...
In various controlled tests and our field testing, we found that somewhere between 0% and 83% of messages were successfully delivered, depending on the amount of sky visible to the SPOT unit and the mode used. This is a broad range. In addition, difficulties with SPOT unit's user interface meant that incorrect modes were sometimes activated, which resulted in unsent messages. These unsent messages were not counted in our reliability figures, but nevertheless may affect users' real world reliability.and

With a perfect view of the entire sky, our six day kayaking field test produced daily successful message delivery rates of 75% to 83%. This success rate dropped to as low as 50% for a given two hour period and 17% for a given one hour period. The longest gap without successful message delivery was forty minutes. These message delivery success rates were for individual message transmissions sent out at ten minute intervals with the SPOT unit in Tracking mode. As such, it is a direct measure of the Tracking mode's successful message delivery reliability with a perfect view of the entire sky, or "ideal conditions."There's plenty more. The concept is great, the implementation is weak.

tlbj6142
07-18-2008, 00:48
And here's one from someone who owns a SPOT but has "switched" to using a SAT phone.

I called up Mobal.com and arranged for an Iridium Sat Phone for a trip in the Jenny Lakes Wilderness from June 20-22. The phone was delivered by Fedex on the 19th with clear and explicit instruction for operation. The phone arrived fully charged in an aluminum travel case with an extra battery, leather case, car charger, Iridium instruction book and a laminated card with all instructions for operation in any mode. The phone was the latest generation and in spotless condition. Weight as carried on my trip = 10.5oz

I used it with flawless reliability each day in the late PM to call my wife. Spent probably 1 minute each time to let her know how my day had been and that I was safe. The palpable sense of relief in her voice was evident. What ever the cost, this alone was worth it!

I just mailed it back this morning at a Fedex drop off store and the return postage was already paid for.

Total cost for all of this including the call time $36.00

I will never look back. I am sold on Sat Phone rental!!!!

Again SPOT has the right "idea", it just needs to get quite a bit better.

dla
07-18-2008, 03:08
Here are the quotes...and

There's plenty more. The concept is great, the implementation is weak.

Yes, it is true that there are stupid people out there. I don't understand it, but some folks just can't read the user's guide and relate it to the actual operation of the SPOT. All I can say is that it works for me.

My experience has been 100% delivery when SPOT has a clear view of the sky. Under canopy the success can be very low when in tracking mode. But when I stop with a clear view of the sky and send and OK message - works everytime.

I've only had mine sine June. So I havent' tested it in the fog or on a rainy day.

Del Q
07-18-2008, 05:05
Some varying thoughts. I carry and prefer a cell phone for communication (nice to call home) and emergencies, with me and possibly to help another person. Prior work as a Search & Resue volunteer, some other precuations prevail, someone else knows your last know point and hiking plan. Overall, the AT is pretty safe, plenty of foot traffic. 7.5 ounces is a LOT.

dla
07-18-2008, 18:01
Here are the quotes...and

There's plenty more. The concept is great, the implementation is weak.

Sat phone is great when you are planning ahead. But with my SPOT, I own the thing. So if I get the last-minute urge to go play somewhere - my SPOT goes with me. I suppose I could do that same with a Sat phone - do they sell those for $150? (more like $1500). And I notice that the loss insurance deductible is $400.

Looking at my usage this year, I'd be up to $100 in Sat phone rentals already. And the year is still young.

jessicacomp
07-20-2008, 21:58
my friends all chipped in and bought me this, plus the yearly subscription. They loved it. It was really exciting for them to get an email from me each day seeing where I was. I personally would never buy it, but it was a fun gift. Ive thought about selling it after the yearly subscription is up, but my friends/family enjoyed following my hike so much that i'll probably take it with me once I go out and do more long distance hikes.

Wise Old Owl
07-20-2008, 22:23
Also, given that the device is a GPS unit, why not just have a simple LCD display that shows your current location and can provide status information (did I really just hit the help button?).

Price 123

Shutterbug
07-21-2008, 00:16
Ipro am looking at purchasing the Spot Satellite Messenger & Personal Tracker. Any feedback as to usefulness, problems, limitations would be useful. Thanks for any comments.

While I have some suggestions about how it can be improved, it is a great value and works as advertised.

I have never had to use the "Help" or the "911" functions, but it is a relief to know that they are there if needed.

I have my "Help" button programed with a message merely informing my wife that my plans have changed and I will be delayed.

I use the track function when I am hiking and the OK function to mark my camp site.

Because I often hike remote trails and camp alone, it is a comfort to my family to be able to see where I am and to know that I am either followng the original plan or have chaned the plan.

Just this weekend, my son used the unit. He was hiking on Mt. Rainier. I was able to appreciate SPOT as the person at home. I monitored my son's progress and was able to observe his camp site.

In my opinion, it is well worth the cost and the weight. It is about half the weight of my PLB.

justinwp
09-01-2008, 16:56
The spot is an awesome tool. I'm setting it up so that I can have a google map on my website that has every location with a date and time. I'm going to have it setup for my thruhike, so that anyone can easily see my progress and current location on a single map on my website.

attroll
09-08-2008, 00:24
The spot is an awesome tool. I'm setting it up so that I can have a google map on my website that has every location with a date and time. I'm going to have it setup for my thruhike, so that anyone can easily see my progress and current location on a single map on my website.
I just recently purchased a Spot and I am very impressed with it so far.

I hate to burst you bubble though. The spot will not track your whole thru hike. It only tracks 30 days at and time and then deletes the oldest points as a new days come up. The only way you can keep track of you whole thru hike is to have someone download your spot points every 30 days.

kayak karl
09-08-2008, 07:11
I just recently purchased a Spot and I am very impressed with it so far.

I hate to burst you bubble though. The spot will not track your whole thru hike. It only tracks 30 days at and time and then deletes the oldest points as a new days come up. The only way you can keep track of you whole thru hike is to have someone download your spot points every 30 days.
your right, but if you are only using the OK feature, e-mail to a separate e-mail address. you could then compile then when you return. otherwise you or somebody will have to upload to files or googlemaps at least every 30 days. i have a map on my trail journals now as a test. works ok. you only need to update your google map.

attroll
09-08-2008, 11:32
your right, but if you are only using the OK feature, e-mail to a separate e-mail address. you could then compile then when you return. otherwise you or somebody will have to upload to files or googlemaps at least every 30 days. i have a map on my trail journals now as a test. works ok. you only need to update your google map.
I would like to know more about how you did that with Google Maps?

daibutsu
06-15-2009, 16:16
Spot experience last weekend on the Tuscarora. I just bought a SPOT and I'm underwhelmed. I spent about four hours along a ridge with tree coverage and I wore the unit on a boonie hat. It would infrequently even lock on to GPS, much less generate a signal to upload to the satellite. It worked ok in zero obstruction areas. After reading these posts, jeez too late as I'm now saddled with an almost humourous customer service catch-22. I contacted Spot customer service, you'll wait forever on the phone, and described the problem. Yes, they'll test it, but it'll cost me $13 bucks to find out what others have discovered, it is unreliable in the woods. If I return the unit to the store I purchased it from, my credit card co. says I can't dispute the service charge because it is the unit that is not as advertised. I'll have the service but no unit. I can dispute the service at great peril and miss the return time period and might just end up with the worthless unit. At any rate it ain't worth it, too few data points, intermittent operation.

Shutterbug
06-15-2009, 19:32

I carried the SPOT on my rim to rim to rim hike of the Grand Canyon last week. If you are interested in seeing how it works, check this site:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?&glId=0tLlE23uHHrLnyvAqgXHzKtqhP5XpPu7f

My wife joined me for this hike, but our children and grandchildren loved being able to watch our progress in real time.

You will note some gaps in the "track" record, but every "I'm OK" signal was recorded.

We informed our family in advance that we would keep the track function on while we hiked and would send and "I'm OK" when we reached a camp site.

We programmed the "Help" button to send our family a message that our plans had changed so we would be deviating from the origianl plan. We didn't need to use that message, but it was good to have flexibility to communicate a change if we had one.

Wise Old Owl
06-15-2009, 23:56
And here's one from someone who owns a SPOT but has "switched" to using a SAT phone.

Again SPOT has the right "idea", it just needs to get quite a bit better.

just a thought - with the Sat phone wouldn't you need the DIRECT dial non 911 numbers or other services to call for help for the entire length of the trail? Spot is one button push... I might have access to those numbers but what an effort to find out.

Shutterbug
06-16-2009, 00:54
just a thought - with the Sat phone wouldn't you need the DIRECT dial non 911 numbers or other services to call for help for the entire length of the trail? Spot is one button push... I might have access to those numbers but what an effort to find out.

Before I got the SPOT, I carried a SAT Phone. It has the same issue as the SPOT -- one has to see the sky to get a connection.

World-Wide
06-16-2009, 02:58
Good idea, especially for track mode. I have a unit and the clip that comes on it doesn't hold the it on my belt or any other strap on my pack, every time I bend over or sit the pack down it comes of.
Is "Track Mode" an additional option you have to buy when establishing your service contract or does it come free. Can service contracts be as short as 6 months (thru-hike timeframe) or do they have mandatory 12/24 contracts? Thanks! :D

World-Wide
06-16-2009, 02:59
12/24 months contracts??

lobo41
06-18-2009, 14:23
Annual contract

lobo41
06-18-2009, 14:25
Annual contract is required

lobo41
06-18-2009, 14:26
An annual requirement

Jofish
06-18-2009, 14:48
Does anyone know of a product similar to Spot, but which lacks the call out options? My family (particularly my mom) want me to carry something that will allow me to be located if necessary. Knowing my mom she'd probably check it daily - if not more often - so a Help button would be nice, but perhaps superfluous. I'd prefer to keep the weight down.

There must be something smaller that just can just be tracked; I'm thinking about something like those tags that they put on wild animals. Suggestions?

attroll
06-18-2009, 18:31
With the SPOT if you not using tracking mod you can push the OK button as many times as you want and it will send a message to whomever is on you contact list letting them know you are OK.

Wise Old Owl
06-18-2009, 18:46
Does anyone know of a product similar to Spot, but which lacks the call out options? My family (particularly my mom) want me to carry something that will allow me to be located if necessary. Knowing my mom she'd probably check it daily - if not more often - so a Help button would be nice, but perhaps superfluous. I'd prefer to keep the weight down.

There must be something smaller that just can just be tracked; I'm thinking about something like those tags that they put on wild animals. Suggestions?

Don't forget with the new lithium cell batteries you can charge several batteries and they now hold a charge in excess of a month. Call in while hill topping. Switch it off when you arn't using it, limit your calls to three minutes and have folks leave messages and send messages. Otherwise use a Spot.

Wise Old Owl
06-21-2009, 09:52
AN AD IN BACKPACKER ....AUGUST 2009

WITH PURCHASE OF 2 YEARS TRACKING SERVICE THEY GIVE A $150 REBATE TO COVER THE SPOT LOCATOR PURCHASE.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

NOT ACTIVE JUST YET.
WWW.FINDMESPOT.COM/BPSPOT (http://www.FINDMESPOT.COM/BPSPOT)

Bad Co
06-21-2009, 17:30
I believe it is a good idea for peace of mine for the family
but mine didn't work at all on the trail under any conditions
The only message that got out was the test message sent from my back yard
In all honesty I purchased the display model , it was the only one left in the store
so I believe I will give it another try when they get more in

Wise Old Owl
06-21-2009, 18:46
never buy a display ok lets try this

NEVER NEVER NEVER BUY A DISPLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kayak karl
06-21-2009, 18:49
With the SPOT if you not using tracking mod you can push the OK button as many times as you want and it will send a message to whomever is on you contact list letting them know you are OK.
your right, and there is also the HELP button you can program to call whom ever u want also.

on the trail it was set up that if i pressed HELP i was at a road crossing and could not go on and "get me a ride". hikerwannabe would call WB people (pre-setup) i needed a ride. if i needed medical, i'd use the 911.

in the kayak the setup is if i press HELP im off course and stuck somewhere, a storm kicked up and had to beach or can't kayak back from the "up the creek bar":D (just kidding, they have a phone)

it has many uses. i even use it to mark good fishing spots and launch ramps.

Frosty
06-21-2009, 20:11
Does anyone know of a product similar to Spot, but which lacks the call out options? My family (particularly my mom) want me to carry something that will allow me to be located if necessary. Knowing my mom she'd probably check it daily - if not more often - so a Help button would be nice, but perhaps superfluous. Maybe, but if you are badly hurt you might not want to wait a day to summon help, and do you really want to leave the decision to call for help to someone at home based on whether or not you miss a day? Calling for rescue isn't a trivial matter. If you simply couldn't get through for any reason, and she calls for a rescue the first day, you might end up paying tens of thousands for it (a rescue was asked for and not needed), and if you tell her to wait two days just in case and you really need help, that is even worse.

BlindFaith
06-21-2009, 20:51
I just completed a 5 day section hike today. My hiking partner brought the Spot with her, it was a gift from her overly anxious family. I have to say that it caused more problems then it solved. First, we started in Low Gap, TN where the view of the sky was minimal. If the view is badly obstructed, the message won't go out. This is what happened in our case and her family went nuts back home when they didn't hear from her. It's great to check it with family but I'd suggest making sure you're family knows that it is not 100% guaranteed and that there are many circumstances where you won't be able to check in.

Happy hiking!

kayak karl
08-21-2009, 12:35
this is my map of the last days. SPOT was on top of pack and thereas tree cover. i didnt check the time between posts. im too hungery:D
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0er8unaU01ZeQRD0bqp5TqCzDIiYFie 63

bishopj
08-21-2009, 13:03
Just one more toy to waste money or make you feel safe when your not the best thing
you can do is learn to read a map and compass they don't need batterys

medicjimr
08-21-2009, 14:38
Just one more toy to waste money or make you feel safe when your not the best thing

Well I feel the reason they want spot is if they get sick or injuried and are not able to make it out on there own. I am personaly wanting one but waiting for the new model to be released and see what the price is that will make or break the deal.

brooklynkayak
08-21-2009, 16:08
Good advice. Makes it seem more useful when you use it that way.

your right, and there is also the HELP button you can program to call whom ever u want also.

on the trail it was set up that if i pressed HELP i was at a road crossing and could not go on and "get me a ride". hikerwannabe would call WB people (pre-setup) i needed a ride. if i needed medical, i'd use the 911.

in the kayak the setup is if i press HELP im off course and stuck somewhere, a storm kicked up and had to beach or can't kayak back from the "up the creek bar":D (just kidding, they have a phone)

it has many uses. i even use it to mark good fishing spots and launch ramps.

brooklynkayak
08-21-2009, 16:12

It's all about the toys. That's why we backpack, right?

Oklahoma 98
08-22-2009, 19:41
I have been using my Spot for almost a year now and have not had any problems at all. I have only used the OK button but i have used it a lot. Most of my hikes are solo over a period 5-7 days. My wife and daughters don't worry as much and that alone is worth the cost. I also take groups of "At Risk" youth backpacking twice a year and use the locator to let all of the DHS caseworkers that everything is OK. I think its a smart tool to take with you.

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2009, 20:27

Hey if you don't have relatives and you are in touch with your religion feel free to do what you want. I don't have a spot but it keeps the family members at ease to hear from me once a day. There are threads about Map & Compass and this one happens to be about Spot.

Most folks on the AT don't have either.