PDA

View Full Version : Camera Talk - split from wifi gizmo

Bulldawg
07-14-2008, 11:17
What type of camera do you take kayaking Karl? I am sort of rough on equipment and in the market for a new camera anyway. I am looking for something in the 8 to 10 mp range that will take a good picture an take a beating. Another thing I want is a Camera that will take a decent picture when it is cold. I am yet able to get a really good winter sunrise off the trail because my Sony seems to start giving focus problems below 35*F or so. Thanks!

Cuffs
07-14-2008, 11:44
What type of camera do you take kayaking Karl? I am sort of rough on equipment and in the market for a new camera anyway. I am looking for something in the 8 to 10 mp range that will take a good picture an take a beating. Another thing I want is a Camera that will take a decent picture when it is cold. I am yet able to get a really good winter sunrise off the trail because my Sony seems to start giving focus problems below 35*F or so. Thanks!

1. Im not a camera guru.
2. Keep your camera in your sleeping bag to keep it somewhat warm (I know alot of people do!)
3. I have a Polaroid 8MP, takes SD cards, AA Batteries camera for sale!

Bulldawg
07-14-2008, 11:47
2. Keep your camera in your sleeping bag to keep it somewhat warm (I know alot of people do!)

I keep mine in my bag with me already. Doesn't seem to matter so far. In fact, I wonder how bad it is on it to take it out of the bottom of the toasty warm bag into the 20*F morning air?

Cuffs
07-14-2008, 11:57
I keep mine in my bag with me already. Doesn't seem to matter so far. In fact, I wonder how bad it is on it to take it out of the bottom of the toasty warm bag into the 20*F morning air?

My Canon works find under that same environment, the only problem being the lens fogging up! :eek:

rafe
07-14-2008, 11:57

Warm to cold isn't the problem. Cold to warm is the problem -- it will cause condensation to form. In the best case that'll just mess up your photos; in the worst case it could damage the innards of the camera.

Bulldawg
07-14-2008, 12:08
Warm to cold isn't the problem. Cold to warm is the problem -- it will cause condensation to form. In the best case that'll just mess up your photos; in the worst case it could damage the innards of the camera.

Yeah, I am leaning towards one of the Olympus waterproof models. I had an Olympus digital years ago when digital was just beginning to take off. I was not very pleased with it though. That experience 10 years ago is the one thing stopping me right now from ordering an Olympus waterproof model. I was just wondering what kayakarl used since I think he is taking pics out of a boat. Plus I figured some other photogs here would give some good advice. Thanks!

ofthearth
07-14-2008, 12:55
Seems like we've got a couple of different questions going on here. So
1) I've got a Olympus Stylus 770 SW and it worked fine on the AT in 2/3 getting some shots of ice in the trees etc. Not sure what the temp was(boots froze over nite) but did not do anything special regarding the camera and cold.
2) It is suppose to be shock/water proof. I think there are some pictures on their website of under water shots.
3) woud like to know what peope find out about tagging pics with a location using gps. Seems like it would be another reason to play with gps.
4) And to add to the confusion; how do people keep their cameras handy for that quick shot. I've got a ULA pack and the hip belt pockets are handy but ........

rafe
07-14-2008, 13:01
4) And to add to the confusion; how do people keep their cameras handy for that quick shot. I've got a ULA pack and the hip belt pockets are handy but ........

Simblissity (http://www.simblissity.net/) makes a simple pouch that hooks to the shoulder strap of most packs. I used one on last year's section hike, it worked well.

Cuffs
07-14-2008, 13:03
I use the fitted case that came with my Canon, which has a belt loop on it... I thread my pack belt thru that... I keep a heavy duty (freezer) zip lock baggie in there too in case of rain..

wahoo
07-14-2008, 13:10
I had the Olympus 770SW for quite a while - until it went "missing" during an oil change at Jiffy Lube..
Great camera for kayaking. I spend a pretty good deal out on the water, and took the Olympus to all sorts of places, saltwater, springs, rivers - you name it. I stuck it in the water, snapped pics of fish, etc.
It won't give you "museum quality" images, but for trail and waterway use, I'd go with the Olympus. It's rock solid, and you won't have to worry about banging it around like you would with most digital cameras.

Bulldawg
07-14-2008, 14:18
So the Olympus 850SW, the big brother to the 770SW would make a good choice. What did you guys do about the proprietary battery? I assume you get an extra or two? I don't want a museum quality print, but I do take a few shots occasionally I want blown up to 8x10 or 11x14. I have to assume a 8mp camera can handle good shots for those size prints. Thanks!!!

Cuffs
07-14-2008, 14:52
So the Olympus 850SW, the big brother to the 770SW would make a good choice. What did you guys do about the proprietary battery? I assume you get an extra or two? I don't want a museum quality print, but I do take a few shots occasionally I want blown up to 8x10 or 11x14. I have to assume a 8mp camera can handle good shots for those size prints. Thanks!!!

My 2 Canons take proprietary batteries... I got a great deal on good spares on ebay. I now tote 1 in the camera and 1 or 2 spares, depending on the time/distance of the current hike.

MOWGLI
07-14-2008, 14:56
Cold to warm is the problem -- it will cause condensation to form. In the best case that'll just mess up your photos; in the worst case it could damage the innards of the camera.

Good thing there's hardly any humidity in the Sierra. Freezing nights - 80+ degree days.

Blissful
07-14-2008, 15:10
I kept mine in the bag to save battery power. No problem with lens fogging either way.

kayak karl
07-14-2008, 16:11
i use a canon power shot. (don't know much about cameras) i use a case like these http://www.waterproof-paper.com/cases/waterproof-camera-case.shtml got mine from e-bay its a little different. even takes shots underwater. i take it hiking just to keep it dry.