PDA

View Full Version : Hammock vs tent in the 100 mile wilderness

chesnutx4
07-14-2008, 17:24
I am planning on section hiking the 100 mile wilderness in late Sept early Oct. I am interested in making the move to a hammock and am wondering if that is a wise move for that time and section? I love my "Hubba", but have heard great things about Hammock Camping. Thanks

Hammock Hanger
07-14-2008, 17:30
I am planning on section hiking the 100 mile wilderness in late Sept early Oct. I am interested in making the move to a hammock and am wondering if that is a wise move for that time and section? I love my "Hubba", but have heard great things about Hammock Camping. Thanks

i had no problem finding hammock spots through the 100 m/w.

Phreak
07-14-2008, 19:16
I did the 100 Mile Wilderness last June and had my hammock with me. No issues. Plenty of spots to hang.

Doughnut
07-14-2008, 19:36
Just returned from 100 mile, not alot of choices for tents, Unlimited choices for Hammocks, make sure the bug net is up.

chesnutx4
07-14-2008, 19:59
Sounds like a hammock is the way to go, my only concern would be the weather. Late Sept/early Oct it looks as if the Highs will be 60 ish and the lows in the upper 30s. With a possibility of down to 15 or 20. I know my bag and mat will work in my tent, but would a hammock be warm enough?

Hammock Hanger
07-14-2008, 20:14
...down to 15 or 20. I know my bag and mat will work in my tent, but would a hammock be warm enough?

doubt it. But there are ways to make the hammock warm, check out the hammock forums.

Phreak
07-14-2008, 20:28
Sounds like a hammock is the way to go, my only concern would be the weather. Late Sept/early Oct it looks as if the Highs will be 60 ish and the lows in the upper 30s. With a possibility of down to 15 or 20. I know my bag and mat will work in my tent, but would a hammock be warm enough?

You'll definitely want an underquilt of some sort.

rafe
07-14-2008, 21:20
I don't recall the 100-mile being much different from the rest of the AT in this regard. I did 3 nights in a tent, 3 or 4 in shelters. I can't imagine why hammocking would be difficult in that stretch. Lots of trees, just like the rest of the AT.

Matteroo
07-15-2008, 04:06
my memory serves me that tenting was not a problem in the wilderness. there were a lot of nice spots actually-certainly more than in other parts of the trail - especially next to lakes.

a great spot is to the 'old dam' of rainbow lake -perhaps .25 mile off the AT - it is 'nature conservancy' property - with an incredible view of katahdin and a very nice camp-site with a small chest-high (?) table and a well established fire pit.

hopefulhiker
07-15-2008, 06:07
The only problem with hammocking in the 100 mile wilderness would be the temperature. Sleeping on the ground would be warmer. I hiked the 100 mile wilderness in late September and it got pretty cold on some nights.

Nearly Normal
07-15-2008, 06:27
You like your hubba, don't know about a hammock.
Try one first.

whitefoot_hp
07-15-2008, 11:46
chest, bring a full length pad for your hammock. then bring the same bag you would bring if you were ground sleeping. that simple. not as comfortable as UQ, but more efficient in terms of warmth/weight.

weary
07-15-2008, 12:10
Do whatever you want. Both work most anywhere. Carry extra bedding. Late September, early October tend to be chilly -- especially in a hammock, I've been told.

Weary

chesnutx4
07-15-2008, 21:17
I am going to stay with the Hubba for now. Maybe in the spring I'll experiment with the hammock. I know the tent works with my gear in cold weather. I'd hate to find out that the hammock didn't work for me in sub freezing temps. So now that decision is made, on to the planning. Thanks to all that helped out.....
See you guys on the AT!!

take-a-knee
07-15-2008, 22:14
I am going to stay with the Hubba for now. Maybe in the spring I'll experiment with the hammock. I know the tent works with my gear in cold weather. I'd hate to find out that the hammock didn't work for me in sub freezing temps. So now that decision is made, on to the planning. Thanks to all that helped out.....
See you guys on the AT!!

That is likely a wise move, staying warm in a hammock is best learned in the backyard, not on the trail. Freezing all night is no fun at all.

chesnutx4
07-17-2008, 16:54
I really want to try the hammock in ME. I can probably squeeze in a 2 to 3 day shake down in GA to make sure it will work for me. Just a few questions. Is Hennessy the way to go? I will be splurging for the undercover & underpad if the Hennessy one are the best so temps should not be a problem. Also, I am 192 lbs. and 5'11". Can you go by the weight limits on Hennessy's web site? (If it says 6' and 200 lbs. am I golden?) Also, which model? I would like the lightest that would work for me. No clausterphobia here (sp??). Thanks again for all you guys help.

take-a-knee
07-17-2008, 17:50
I really want to try the hammock in ME. I can probably squeeze in a 2 to 3 day shake down in GA to make sure it will work for me. Just a few questions. Is Hennessy the way to go? I will be splurging for the undercover & underpad if the Hennessy one are the best so temps should not be a problem. Also, I am 192 lbs. and 5'11". Can you go by the weight limits on Hennessy's web site? (If it says 6' and 200 lbs. am I golden?) Also, which model? I would like the lightest that would work for me. No clausterphobia here (sp??). Thanks again for all you guys help.

I've only used a Hennessy, I can't advise you about other hammocks. Many like toploaders but I see them as problematic in really buggy conditions. With the Hennessy, you can quickly enter and exit through the slit without bringing a bunch of bugs in with you. You don't need to go on a hike to get hammock setup/takedown and cold-weather issues worked out, you can do those in the back yard. Of course, it is too warm for the latter currently. If you go with the Hennessy, I reccomend an underquilt eventually, and really the only (and fortunately the best) is JacksR Better Nest. You can use a bag as a top quilt but most will eventually get a JRB No Sniveler for a top quilt. A bag with arm holes and a drawstring foot opening also works well, like the Feathered Friends Rock Wren.

Another alternative is a contraption called an SPE (Speer Segmented Pad Extender). This holds a 20in wide thermarest or CCF pad and has "wings" to hold sections of CCF pad to prevent cold spots near your shoulders/elbows. This is the most economical choice and a fine addition to an underquilt for really cold conditions. This thing has a shorter learning curve than an underquilt, there is nothing really to adjust, you are either on it or you aren't, and if you aren't, you'll get cold and get on it. $35 from Speer Hammocks. I think it weighs 3oz. You likely already have a thermarest to use it with.

take-a-knee
07-17-2008, 17:56
Chestnut, I forgot to add that the Hennessy Hyperlite is the only hammock you exceed the reccomend weight (#180). I would go with the Backpacker UL. You are on the border size wise, reg for up to 6'. If you haven't bought yet I strongly suggest something other than the stock tarp. If you order directly from hennesy they'll knock $50 off if you order it sans tarp. Get a JRB or a Macat from OES. Many also like the Speer Winter Tarp for really breezy conditions. Oh, and by all means check out www.hammockforums.net

SteveJ
07-17-2008, 18:03
Good advice here. I'm 5' 11 1/2" and weigh 215. I've used the HH ultralight Backpacker Asym for about 4 years now. I am a little claustrophobic, but don't have issues in the hammock. I did recently upgrade to a Speer Winter Hammock, primarily so I could hammock in temps below teens. I wouldn't hesitate to take a hammock with expected temps in the 20's. A 27" wide 3/8" ccf pad and a ThermaRest Guidelite has taken me into the low teens (w/ no tarp - 40 mph winds on Shining Rock).

chesnutx4
07-19-2008, 20:46
Well, I broke down and ordered the H/H U/L Backpacker with the super shelter. I have some ideas of my own for insulation when I get to Maine. I'll expirement until then to get it right. Once I get it I may opt to purchase the MacCat so I have more cover in case of rain. I'll have to weigh the benefit vs. weight. The weight difference will probably be minimal (a few oz). Hopefully I made the right decision.

Camping Dave
07-21-2008, 20:04

Yes. Here is a warm, cheap solution to cold weather hammock camping.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35379

daibutsu
07-21-2008, 20:44
I started with a HH, was kinda putoff that most are "Made in China" and graduated to Speer. Far better, and helping our environment, etc. etc. etc.

BillyBob58
07-22-2008, 09:32
Well, I broke down and ordered the H/H U/L Backpacker with the super shelter. I have some ideas of my own for insulation when I get to Maine. I'll expirement until then to get it right. Once I get it I may opt to purchase the MacCat so I have more cover in case of rain. I'll have to weigh the benefit vs. weight. The weight difference will probably be minimal (a few oz). Hopefully I made the right decision.

Chestnutx4, since you ordered the SuperShelter, I suggest you try and get really familiar with it before you hit the trail. Although, that would also apply to underquilts and pads in a hammock. But there are a couple of tricks to that SS that make a big dif in whether you will be warm or cold. But a number of us have managed to be warm well below freezing, so it can be done.

For me, the number one thing is to adjust it so that there is no gap between you and the pad after you lay in the hammock. If there is a small gap, you will probably not be happy.

A very close second in importance is to use the space blanket as recommended by HH. I have noticed that the vast majority of folks( though not all) who are unhappy with the SS have refused to use the SB. The only time I have had significant condensation problems was the one time I did not use the SB.

Also, there are many lightweight, low volume ways to boost the warmth if you need to. Adding extra lightweight clothing on top of or beneath the pad ( as long as the added weight does not cause a gap), or adding a Garlington Insulator ( trashbag with space blanket) beneath the pad, or the HH kidney/torso pads. etc.

And of course you might decide you still need some sort of pad just in case you have to go to ground for whatever reason. If so, you can, in addition to your SS, also add this inside your hammock for temps well beyond the normal SS capabilities.
Good luck and have fun.
Bill