PDA

View Full Version : Staten Island,NY Any folks from there/near there.

mudcap
07-14-2008, 17:30
I thought I just posted this,seems it went poof.:-?

Looking for some general info if anyone can help.

I will be coming into PENN station and need info on taxi/bus services,etc.

Thanks in advance.

Lone Wolf
07-14-2008, 17:35
no it's still posted in the NON-AT forum

HikerRanky
07-14-2008, 17:42
Hey Mudcap,

I don't live there, but I spend a fair amount of time in NYC.... My company HQ is in Times Square....

Penn Station is located in Midtown Manhattan... It has all sorts of connections out of there. The Long Island Railroad (LIRR) starts there and hits about 124 stops along it's tracks.

Subways coming and going to Penn Station are the A, C, E, 1, 2, and 3. Buses are the M4, M5, M6, M7, M34, and Q42...

You can also rent cars there, and they have restaurants in the station....

I suggest you go check out this site (http://nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagepkey=516)... It has a fair amount of info and links to the MTA site as well..

Have a great time!

Randy

mudcap
07-14-2008, 17:42
Now that I see my post showed up I will be more specific. I must have clicked the wrong button on the first try.

I will be coming into PENN station. I need to make my way to Staten Island.St. Johns university to be exact.

I have never been to NYC. I have questions about...transportation,eating,shopping,etc. I will be staying at The Staten Island hotel. I have called them with no luck,they only accept reservations I guess.:confused:

Thanks for any help.

Appalachian Tater
07-14-2008, 17:46
Here is your other thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39177

mudcap
07-14-2008, 17:48
mudcap, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Thanks Tater,I get this message though.

mudcap
07-14-2008, 17:51
Thanks Randy! Much Appreciated.

Appalachian Tater
07-14-2008, 17:53
Okay, I moved my post here:

I know this is a long shot,but thought I would try. I would like to gain some info on Staten Island,or the surrounding area. I will be there in mid august. Just trying to get some info on arriving at Penn station and making my way to St. Johns University on Staten Island.I will be staying at the Staten Island hotel. I have never been to NYC,so I am very nervous about this whole deal. I can go go into more details later if someone responds to this.I hope this thread is appropriate,if not I am sorry mods,just delete it if not. Thanks in advance .

PS,my questions will be about transportation,etc. Taxi service,bus,subway,etc.I can try to answer any questions that you have. There is no need to be nervous about transportation in NYC. Are you actually going to St. John's when you arrive or to the hotel?

The easiest and cheapest way to get there would be to take the subway (or a bus) to the Staten Island Ferry and then take a bus or a cab from the ferry terminal in Staten Island. The ferry is a beautiful ride, and I occasionally do it just for fun. The total cost would be $2.00 if you stuck to public transportation. There are maps and plenty of employees to answer questions in Penn Station and at both ferry terminals as well as in the subway stations.

Here is a Staten Island bus map: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/bussi.pdf

You could also take a cab from Penn Station but that would be expensive. Cabs are easy to get at Penn Station and both ferry terminals unless it is rush hour or raining.

Once at the hotel, there are busses that run from there close to the university or the hotel staff could help you get a cab or car service if that doesn't suit you.

Most of Staten Island looks like suburban New Jersey, you might not even know you were in the city.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

HikerRanky
07-14-2008, 18:01
Now that I see my post showed up I will be more specific. I must have clicked the wrong button on the first try.

I will be coming into PENN station. I need to make my way to Staten Island.St. Johns university to be exact.

I have never been to NYC. I have questions about...transportation,eating,shopping,etc. I will be staying at The Staten Island hotel. I have called them with no luck,they only accept reservations I guess.:confused:

Thanks for any help.

Get to the Staten Island Ferry... You will want to go to St. George, Staten Island. The ferry is free, and has a great view of the Status of Liberty and Ellis Island...

Once you arrive at St. George, you can take the S61, S62, S63, S66, or S67 bus. Get off at Clove Road & Victory Blvd. Transfer of to the Grymes Hill shuttle bus. This takes you directly to Arlo Road, next to the university there.

HikerRanky
07-14-2008, 18:06
Since the other thread is for all practical purposes dead, I'm going to delete it...

mudcap
07-14-2008, 18:12
Wow,great info. I have not read it all yet. I will be back in a bit. My dogs are going off,so that means I have a visitor coming up my drive/trail. Thanks.

mudcap
07-14-2008, 18:48
Thanks again guys,you have eased my worries with your great info. I have been stressing something terrible on this one.I live in the middle of the woods,never thought I would have to go to a city for the rest of my life. Damn kid picks NYC for school.Could have been worse,he almost decided on London England!!! Decided to stay a little closer to home,only 400 miles. AT,I/we will be going to the Hotel when we arrive,and then to the University in the morning.Will be there from august 18 to the 22nd. I PMed you so we can take this to PM or e-mail. I appreciate all the help guys!