PDA

View Full Version : Army Cot

reh1966
07-14-2008, 19:15
Ok here is a question for those of you with military service or just those in the know. I have an army cot that I will be using again this week for a camp. My question is what is the secret to setting it up. I have done it several time but it is really a workout. Once it is done it is nice and tight with no sag, but getting the second end bar on is a struggle to say the least. I have to think that there is an easier way. I can't imagine that every time it is set up that you have to get a workout as well.

Any suggestions will be apprecited. Thanks.

Rex

fitz
07-14-2008, 19:21
Sit on the floor and use your foot for leverage to get 2nd bar in place.

fitz

Doughnut
07-14-2008, 19:35
Stand the cot on it's edge, step on the cross brace, use your foot to place it over the end nipples. careful not to pop the end off.

take-a-knee
07-14-2008, 21:47
Take note of the end bars, one side has plastic spacers, these set the cot up tighter, if you sleep on it for month it'll sag a bit so you flip these spacers in place. On the other hand, if the cot is new or has been stored awhile, it simply will not go together if you use the spacers. We always used an extra end piece as a prybar, standing it on end and using your foot is likely the best way.

A Thermarest Camprest on a army cot is a comfortable bed. Four poles and the GI bugnet works great in the summer.

reh1966
07-14-2008, 21:50
Thanks for the tips. I have to set up tomorrow so I will give these ideas a try.

Rex

Erin
07-14-2008, 22:34
I am laughing so hard on this one and love the tips. I have one my mom gave me 25 years ago and use it for car camping and extra guests that overflow the guest room. It is hell to put together but a great sleep. I usually sit on the ground, hook one end, pull the material up toward the other end, and then swear like heck and go Aaaaguhhh! as I get that end piece hooked on the wooden pegs.

Wise Old Owl
07-15-2008, 10:32
Yes the tips are dead on, but be carfull if the plastic feet are missing they will make a hole in the ground sheet of the tent. - I ditched mine for a Coleman a couple of years ago - less weight. less space in the car.

veteran
07-15-2008, 23:51
Use a pry bar (Cheater Bar)

reh1966
07-16-2008, 07:44
OK got it set up yesterday. Believe it or not, I used a combination of all suggestions and finally got it. Man it is a bear to get together but when staying for several nights it is worth it. Thanks again.

Rex

greentick
07-16-2008, 08:28
Ok here is a question for those of you with military service or just those in the know. I have an army cot .... I have to think that there is an easier way. I can't imagine that every time it is set up that you have to get a workout as well.

Any suggestions will be apprecited. Thanks.

Rex

A block of C4. Placement is not important:D.

take-a-knee
07-16-2008, 09:29
A block of C4. Placement is not important:D.

You're just too tall man!

johnny quest
07-16-2008, 09:56
DO NOT use the barrel of your m16!!!! at least the old a1. it might bend it.

Plodderman
07-17-2008, 09:48
Man that brings back memories of being out in the field while in the Army. Never did really figure it out bit eventually I would get to sleep on it.

Usually they would set them up in the tent while we were out scouting so most of the time I didn't have to do it.

Bare Bear
07-18-2008, 18:29
Yep.sit on the floor and use your legs to edge it out. If two work on one at a time it helps also. Oh those creaky memories. I remember taking a mil tent on my first AT section in 1981? I burned the maple spreaders after figuring out that rope would tie it up just as well and was a lot lighter. Then I just had to lug that waterproofed cotton/canvas that weighed at least ten pounds.