PDA

View Full Version : CT start date question

Ronnwell
07-14-2008, 19:22
I read Mags' end-to-end guide (thanks Mags, great stuff!).

"Northbound: You do face some of the hardest terrain and higher elevation right away, end in the more subtle Wateron Canyon. End of trip will prove to be easy terrain wise. If you start late in the season, going Denver bound extends the window of hiking by one or two weeks to early-mid October."

I think I know the answer to this, but....IF I start from Durango and I plan on 3 to 4 weeks of hiking, is starting around Sept 8th too late? I know it varies from year to year and I understand that the risk of snow/cold temps dramatically increases, but is leaving at that date crazy? Have people left that late and completed a thru?

Just to add context to my question. I am probably going to move on to another job. However, I want to give a crack at doing a CT thru before I resume working. Here's the catch and what is driving my question, I get paid a performance bonus and I have to be employed as of Sept 3rd. I'd really like to do the CT, but I also want to get my bonus. In short, I want to have my cake and eat it too. :cool:

I suppose I can always just roll the dice and see how far I get.

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance!

Mags
07-14-2008, 22:56
I suppose I can always just roll the dice and see how far I get.

That's about what it amounts to. :)

September can be interesting. You can have great, Indian Summer like weather OR, you can have 3 ft of snow dump in mid-September that never goes away. (like 2006!)

You will probably be OK for sure until mid-September (With the chance of a storm that will melt away before then). After that you MAY get snow that won't melt, but you'll also be in the more built up sections of Colorado and have more bailing options.

Basically..go for it!

fiddlehead
07-14-2008, 23:46
Yeah, I agree. Sept is usually the best time for hiking almost everywhere. But you are going to be up as high as 13,000 feet i believe is the high on that trail.

Beginning of Sept may be ok and the higher elevations are at the more western end (Durango end)
Personally I would go for it. But be prepared to wait out a storm or bail out if necessary and wait till it melts (or not)

I did that trail early season in 2001 starting near Denver in June. Hit a bunch of snow but it was old snow and i like that. (i love being the 1st one up there after the long winter. Watching the confusion on the elk's face as they are not sure what you are as they haven't seen any humans for a while)
The beauty was, no people for most of the trail.

You may hit hunting season for elk which should be ok, just wear some orange and maybe even streamers attached to the front and back of your pack. Not sure when it starts though.

Ronnwell
07-15-2008, 18:50
Thanks for the answers guys...I think I'm going to go for it.

yappy
07-15-2008, 23:55
We finished Sept 12th last year and loved being out that time of year. I think Sept is hard to beat. We did'nt see many folks out, the trail was gorgeous, weather just about perfect. I live in Alaska and don't much like busy trails... Sept suited me. Go for it..:)

Dazzy001
09-02-2008, 21:43
After reading this i think i'm going to get out there June 15, '09. starting from Denver... I am told its awsome time of year, Untroden snow and not many folks...

Mags
09-02-2008, 22:47
After reading this i think i'm going to get out there June 15, '09. starting from Denver... I am told its awsome time of year, Untroden snow and not many folks...

That could be a little early (or VERY early like this year). A week or so later is better in most years.

backpackingdiggity
09-03-2008, 18:28
I hiked the CT back in 2003, and started the hike on June 12. Georgia Pass and the Tenmile Range were a royal pain in the kister, but I wouldn't have changed my start date for the world.

As for beginning the CT in September, I'd say go for it! You'll have a marvelous time - most of the trail should be void of people. I would use caution going through the Cochetopa Hills & La Garita. Both areas are extremely remote. A heavy snow could put you in a sticky situation.