PDA

View Full Version : looking for a weekend trip in MA

djod1985
07-15-2008, 17:10
hey everyone,

I am trying to plan a weekend trip for myself and a couple of friends on the AT. We are planning to leave Friday after work and looking to do only a couple miles into a campsite
(preferably) with a shelter followed by 2 days with mileage around 10-12 miles per day. and suggestions would be more then appreciated. the AT in MA would be preferable but VT or ct could also work depending on driving distance. We will be leaving from the Springfield MA area.

thanks again!

rafe
07-15-2008, 17:20
How about North Adams southward to Dalton? I think it's 22 miles total. Very easy hiking between the summit of Greylock and Dalton.

Homer&Marje
07-15-2008, 17:35
Just went from Tyringham MA to Cheshire myself, it was 37 miles i think. Starting from Goose pond rd you can hike in to Goose Pond Cabin it's about 4 miles. I heard the caretakers were really nice. After that 10 miles a day gets you to Greylock at the end of the weekend. Have fun! Happy Trails

rafe
07-15-2008, 17:47
I'd say, in general, access to the AT in MA is easy and straightforward -- lots of places to hop on and off. Pick a hike and go.

LIhikers
07-16-2008, 07:32
Like Homer&Marje, I'd recommend starting at Goose Pond Rd. It's about a 3 mile hike into Upper Goose Pond Cabin where there's the pond, a canoe, and possably pancakes, made by the caretaker, for breakfast. Then from the cabin it's 20 miles north to the town of Dalton or 30 miles to the town of Cheshire.
Where ever you go, have a great trip!

Monkeywrench
07-16-2008, 08:15
You could start at Jug End Rd and hike south to Rt 41 in Connecticut. That's a real pretty section of trail and makes a nice weekend trip if you can spot cars.

jaiden
07-16-2008, 14:33
AGREED! About a month ago I did rt 41 to jug end (northbound) and it was really very nice. Something like 18 miles, so I did 4, 10, 4 or so over 3 days. I started friday around 5pm and finished around 11 sunday. Riga has awesome views as does Bear Mt and everett. Sages ravine is pleasant and cool. might be a nice place to camp on a hot day.

Greylock is nice too but crowded on top. A few months ago I did 9 in 6 out over 2 days. (town of cheshire to summit, then down to peck's brook shelter. hiked down an old "road" to get back to the AT)

Glastonbury VT is supposed to be nice, but I haven't made it up there yet.

The Mt Tom and Mt Holyoke ranges are nice for long day hikes nearby.. hopefully you have been there.

I'm in central MA myself and spend a lot of time in the pioneer valley

canoehead
07-16-2008, 14:48
Start in Salisbury CT, park at the parking area right there at the AT trail head off Rt 41. Hike North on the AT. Or park at the Undermountain Trail Parking lot also on 41, but N of Salisbury, CT. and go North, to Jug End Rd.

In MA
Rt 20 in Becket, MA near Green Pond park there and head north on AT into October, MT and back?

Chenango
07-16-2008, 16:40
Rt 41 to Jug End is great. Up Lions Head and you are at a shelter in about 4 miles if my memory serves me correcetly.

In Ma, you can start at N. Adams near the reservoir and hike up, up, up for about 2 miles to a lean-to. Then the next day to a think it is Seth someting shelter. Then out the next day. Greylock is beautiful and no cars up there this year!!

Chenango
07-16-2008, 16:41
Just noticed. My picture in this posting was taken on the Jug End in March of this year.