PDA

View Full Version : Training Weight

knightjh
02-27-2004, 14:26
I've been mostly day hiking (with a smaller daypack on) and I want to know what ideas there are here for adding weight (yes I know that everyone here talks about cutting the weight down...I want to increase my pack weight evenly so I can better train for longer hikes.) I have no problem using my bigger backpack to train with. I just don't really want to pack up all my gear everytime I dayhike (which has been 3 - 5 miles on a weekend day)

Any help / thoughts
Thanks

freewheelinmilo
02-27-2004, 14:46
my fully loaded pack runs around 30, so i find training with 2 gallons of water, surrounded by rain gear and clothes (or a big blanket) makes about 20 pounds, which is good enough. you can add four more easily by tacking on a couple nalgenes on either side. this is good because you can dump the water if it is too much. and if you are concerned about the even load, throw the gallons on top of the blanket (mimicing the sleeping bag). i never have to unpack/repack it, its ready to go. i also know people who use bags of rice. i dont have that much rice. you are wicked smart to train.

Cehoffpauir
02-27-2004, 15:13
I've been mostly day hiking (with a smaller daypack on) and I want to know what ideas there are here for adding weight (yes I know that everyone here talks about cutting the weight down...I want to increase my pack weight evenly so I can better train for longer hikes.) I have no problem using my bigger backpack to train with. I just don't really want to pack up all my gear everytime I dayhike (which has been 3 - 5 miles on a weekend day)

Any help / thoughts
Thanks

I've been training with nearly 50 pounds, with gallons of water and a big synthetic sleep bag, and a 10# dumbbell weight. There's nothing in my pack that I use regularly, so I don't need to unpack it inbetween hikes.

SGT Rock
02-27-2004, 16:18
For training I like to pack up a backpack with about 35 pounds. The best easy to get weight I find is filling up 2 liter soda bottles with water.

Big Guy
02-27-2004, 22:09
I carry a day pack, that is large enough for overnight trips. I usually carry about 25 pounds in it when I day hike. When I start to train for a trip I go to my regular pack and have everything but food and my sleepng bag. I add liters of water and two 5 lbs dumb bells. I have never weighed in this configuration but I estimate it to be at about 35 lbs. I have found that by having my pad on the outside the way it is usually packed helps with my training. It makes you deal with the low hangers and the other things you may run into. Keep training as it makes the real trips more enjoyable. Happy Trails.

Brushy Sage
02-27-2004, 22:49
There is something to be said for taking the time to put the genuine articles in the pack during training. For one thing, you can't really duplicate the load distribution with heavy items like water, bricks, or such. And secondly, you will get in the habit of packing and unpacking, and you will begin to learn where things are, and how to reassamble the pack quickly and efficiently. After all, this is what you will be doing day after day, and night after night. It's amazing how many small items get "lost" down in the pack somewhere during the first few weeks on the trail, until the hiker gets into a good routine.