PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag liner.

Keith Z
07-16-2008, 11:47
I plan on getting a down sleeping bag, and i assume that the inner and outer fabric will be synthetic. This is ok for the outside for me, but I really don't like the inner being synthetic. It feels really clammy and uncomfortable. Would one of those seperate fleece liners that can act as a warm weather bag be good?

Sly
07-16-2008, 12:12
Yeah fleece bag liners are not only comfortable but will add warmth and keep your bag cleaner. In summer, depending on temps it may be all you'll need.

envirodiver
07-16-2008, 12:52
You can also buy a silk liner, which may be lighter than the fleece and also feel pretty good.

minnesotasmith
07-16-2008, 13:10
You can also buy a silk liner, which may be lighter than the fleece and also feel pretty good.

I'm very much in the market for a sleeping bag liner to boost a 15 degree bag up to winter rating. What are the weight vs. insulation stats on silk vs. fleece, especially if used as a sleeping bag liner?

I also wonder how durable silk would be. Its cost isn't so much an issue. I find it similar to satin WRT texture.

EMAN
07-16-2008, 13:26
I have a silk liner. Weighs nada and helps the temps though I haven't used it in the 20 degree bag yet. It might take some getting used to as it tends to cling to you and makes it a little harder to get in and out of your bag. No real big deal though.

taildragger
07-16-2008, 13:31
Sleep in a pair of silk weight long johns (or similiar).

They can do double duty if needed, but usually they should just be for sleeping

NICKTHEGREEK
07-16-2008, 13:44
I plan on getting a down sleeping bag, and i assume that the inner and outer fabric will be synthetic. This is ok for the outside for me, but I really don't like the inner being synthetic. It feels really clammy and uncomfortable. Would one of those seperate fleece liners that can act as a warm weather bag be good?
They work for what you want but be aware that if you toss and turn you can get pretty wrapped up making quick egress from the bag tough. Check around some bags come with a brushed inner lining. As with all gear it's best to visit one or more outfitters to try it out in person.

IceAge
07-16-2008, 13:48
I'm very much in the market for a sleeping bag liner to boost a 15 degree bag up to winter rating. What are the weight vs. insulation stats on silk vs. fleece, especially if used as a sleeping bag liner?

I also wonder how durable silk would be. Its cost isn't so much an issue. I find it similar to satin WRT texture.

Campmor usually has a chart in the print catalog showing the weights and degree ratings of their liners.

I believe that silk was the best for weight/ ° rating ratio, but if you have an old catalog lying around check inside.

SloHiker
07-17-2008, 09:44
All of this is subjective, of course: I use a Cocoon silk liner down to about 35 degrees and a Sea-to-Summit Thermolite polyester liner below freezing. The silk liner seems to add about 5 degrees, and the Thermolite liner possibly 8-10 degrees to my bag.

The main reason I use them though, it that it mitigates moisture saturation into the down and it also keeps my bag clean and mostly odor free.

One of these days, I'm gonna try silk PJ's - they're supposed to work pretty well, and you don't get "wrapped up" in a liner which frequently happens if you toss & turn alot.

jesse
07-17-2008, 10:30
Have you considered using a quilt rather than a bag. Better ventilation, less sweat and condensation.

saimyoji
07-17-2008, 10:52

I would recommend using a base layer as the barrier between you and the inner fabric. Much easier to deal with than a liner. Polypro or thermawool work well.

Footslogger
07-17-2008, 11:02
================================

The silk liners are pretty durable in my experience but not all that practical. First off ...I didn't find that they added much noticeable warmth to my 20 degree bag. Granted I never did a scientifically controlled test or anything but that is my general feeling after having carried and used one for a couple months on my thru. Second, if you are a "roller" during the night you will (like me) most likely find your liner pretty well twisted up inside your bag.

I have never tried a fleece liner but after my experience with the silk variety I would be more apt to go the fleece route, if you are after noticeable warmth increase.

'Slogger

Wise Old Owl
07-17-2008, 13:46
An old cotton sheet from the linen closet Cut it to size, leave extra room in the toe box and enough room in the chest add 1/2 inch and have the wife pass it through the sewing machine three times. Don't have a wife or sewing machine? stop by a tailor or Men's Wearhouse tell the tailor what you want , it will only cost a few bucks, and it won't cost you half the price of a silk liner.:rolleyes:

I like this idea because you throw the sheet in the wash and the bag stays clean.

Wise Old Owl
07-17-2008, 13:50
All of this is subjective,

One of these days, I'm gonna try silk PJ's - they're supposed to work pretty well, and you don't get "wrapped up" in a liner which frequently happens if you toss & turn alot.

Na skip it, wear poly-pro long johns and if you have to get up at night when its cold you will quick reheat the bag when you jump back in.

Wags
07-17-2008, 23:51
the poly pro option won't work in the summer. OP stated he wanted something to separate himself from the syntec feeling of the bag.

i wear a lightweight silk top to bed regardless of temp, usually just athletic shorts on the bottom. this keeps most of the stink on my clothes and off my bag, plus it protects my BA pad from the oils of my skin, which deteriorates it (told this by a reputable source)

i also like the old cotton sheet idea owl. i may have to give that a whirl. did you notice any temp boost doing this?

Cuffs
07-17-2008, 23:54
Silk is nice, and light. I had a Montbell liner that was poly. I dont like the feel of silk (I know... as a gal, I should, but I dont!) but the poly one was super soft and was only 8 or 9 ounces!

I did sell it recently because I would get wound up in it at night... became almost claustraphobic in it!

hopefulhiker
07-18-2008, 08:54
A silk liner will help keep your bag clean. You can just wash the liner.

Berserker
07-18-2008, 13:26
If you want a liner just as a buffer, then I would go with silk as others have mentioned as it's the lightest option. I have a silk JagBag liner (slightly under 5 oz) I use. As others have indicated I also get tangled up in the liner when sleeping cause I toss and turn. So the liner is somewhat of an annoyance, but I haven't found a better option. I primarily use mine in warm weather to keep sweat, dirt and other stuff off my bag.

Cuffs
07-18-2008, 13:29
I have a silk liner. Weighs nada and helps the temps though I haven't used it in the 20 degree bag yet. It might take some getting used to as it tends to cling to you and makes it a little harder to get in and out of your bag. No real big deal though.

Now if you could only remember to take it with you! :D

IceAge
07-29-2008, 10:03
On my most recent trip I took along an REI MTS bag liner, it's made of polyester. I liked it a lot, I didn't get wound up in it even though I am an "active" sleeper. I used it on nights where it dipped into the 40s and it definitely improved the temp rating of my 45°-rated bag, it's difficult to say how many degrees it added, but it was a noticeable difference.

mudhead
07-29-2008, 10:12
I would recommend using a base layer as the barrier between you and the inner fabric. Much easier to deal with than a liner. Polypro or thermawool work well.
Agree.

An old cotton sheet from the linen closet Cut it to size, leave extra room in the toe box and enough room in the chest add 1/2 inch and have the wife pass it through the sewing machine three times. Don't have a wife or sewing machine? stop by a tailor or Men's Wearhouse tell the tailor what you want , it will only cost a few bucks, and it won't cost you half the price of a silk liner.:rolleyes:

I like this idea because you throw the sheet in the wash and the bag stays clean.

I did this with polyester fabric. $5. Works great alone, but a drag to get out of if you suddenly get the urge, if used in a bag. I don't thrash, but do get wound up. 13oz. Glad I tried it before coughing up $50.

canoehead
07-29-2008, 10:34
I've been using a silk liner for years, they are comfy-warm (adds 10/15 degreesish)

Pedaling Fool
07-29-2008, 10:43
I use a cotton liner. Kept my bag from getting too stinky. Never washed it (the bag) during 2006, until I got home. Much easier to wash a liner than a bag, especially a down bag.

10-K
07-29-2008, 17:24
We've got 2 Mont Bell Super Stretch bags and a silk liner for each. On my hike next month I'm thinking about just taking the 2 liners and 'double bagging' them to use as a sleeping bag.

My 50* bag was too hot for the hike I did this month - can't imagine it's going to be cooler in Auguest.