PDA

View Full Version : Resupply in Shennandoah Area

smithk3933
07-16-2008, 14:55
My first post!

I'm looking to plan my first AT hike of any length and was considering the Shennandoah section of approximatley 100 miles. I'm looking to do this as a solo adventure as well. Seems like a good section as I would never be far from a road!

It looks like I should plan on perhaps 6-7 days to complete this section. My questions is what options are there for a mid-point food restock. The guide talks about a couple of trail stores on the Skyline Parkway but not sure if this is mainly snack food? I would prefer to NOT have to hitch to a town if possible?

Any thoughts?

Keith

rafe
07-16-2008, 15:13
I hiked SNP in about a week, without leaving the park; I suspect most thru-hikers do as well. There are a number of wayside camp stores along the way, adequate for "short-term" resupply. You can go light on the packed food and have a "real" meal every couple of days if you want.

NICKTHEGREEK
07-16-2008, 15:18
Big Meadow has a fairly well stocked store and good cheeseburgers. Pay shower and laundry available at campground. Some cry about the cost but keep in mind how far things need to be trucked in.
I did the park South to North and we carried all the food and fuel we needed for a week and had some left over ( see Cheeseburgers)

EarlyBird2007
07-16-2008, 15:39
Loft Mountain and Big Meadows have good camp stores for resupply. Here's a link to a good map that shows SNP and the available facilities. http://www.visitshenandoah.com/media/docs/Shenandoah/ShenMapNPS.pdf

Lauriep
07-16-2008, 18:28
Keith,

On Saturday I took a fairly detailed inventory of hiker resupply items at the Loft Mountain camp store (southern section) for a friend who's thru-hiking. I suspect similar items would be available at the Lewis Mountain camp store (almost exactly half-way between Front Royal and Rockfish Gap) but I'm not sure.

All the other areas will be restaurants and mostly snacks and food more oriented to car-campers than backpackers. Skyland has the leanest selection, with snacks/desserts only by the cash register.

Here's what they have at Loft Mountain camp store:

Cliff bars
Cookies in single sleeve
Ramen noodles
Mashed potatoes
Knorr rice sides (like Lipton)
Peanut butter
Pop tarts
Instant oatmeal
Hot chocolate
Cold cereal in individual servings
Nature valley granola bars
5.3 oz bags of M&Ms, etc.

Mountain House – extensive selection, including but not limited to:

Granola w/milk and blueberries
Long grain and wild rice pilaf
Potatoes and cheese w/broccoli
Beef stroganoff
Sweet and sour pork
Dried fruit and side dishes
desserts

Laurie Potteiger

Skyline
07-16-2008, 18:40
Hiking south to north:

You can resupply at Loft Mt., Campground in the South District; Lewis Mt. Campstore and Big Meadows Wayside in the Central District; and Elkwallow Wayside in the North District.

You can get pre-cooked fast food at Loft Mt. Wayside (about a mile off the AT, on Skyline Drive; Big Meadows Wayside; and Elkwallow Wayside.

You can get full restaurant meals (bring $$$) at Big Meadows Lodge and Skyland Resort. Both of these establishments also feature bars with light menus and nightly entertainment.

All of these facilities are included on the excellent PATC maps of the Park, and the AT Guide to SNP, with Side Trails.

Some hikers break up the trip by coming into Luray (west of Thornton Gap) for part of a day, or overnight. Luray offers all services of importance to long distance hikers.

If you need help with parking, a shuttle at the start of your hike or in the middle of it, or other logistics visit www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com).

rafe
07-16-2008, 20:07
On Saturday I took a fairly detailed inventory of hiker resupply items at the Loft Mountain camp store (southern section) for a friend who's thru-hiking. I suspect similar items would be available at the Lewis Mountain camp store (almost exactly half-way between Front Royal and Rockfish Gap) but I'm not sure.

Laurie -- if I recall correctly from last summer, the Loft Mountain store had a much larger selection of useful "backpacker" items than the Lewis Mtn. store. For what it's worth, the store at Big Meadows is a long way off the trail, so I never got there.

There were two decent restaurants: Skyland (right on the trail) and Big Meadows, about five or ten minutes off the trail. Had a great lunch at Skyland. Great view, good service, and the price was quite reasonable.

Skyline
07-17-2008, 09:18
Laurie -- if I recall correctly from last summer, the Loft Mountain store had a much larger selection of useful "backpacker" items than the Lewis Mtn. store. For what it's worth, the store at Big Meadows is a long way off the trail, so I never got there.

There were two decent restaurants: Skyland (right on the trail) and Big Meadows, about five or ten minutes off the trail. Had a great lunch at Skyland. Great view, good service, and the price was quite reasonable.

Correct, Lewis Mt. is a small facility--not many campsites, just a few cabins, and a small store. That may owe to its heritage as a segregated facility at the time of SNP's establishment.

Big Meadows WAYSIDE has a much larger selection in its store, plus a full short-order restaurant. It's also next door to the Park's largest Visitor Center, with recently updated exhibits, movies, etc. If you tried to get there from where the AT is situated near Big Meadows LODGE, it is a little over a mile away. However, if you leave the AT at Lewis Falls Fire Rd. and hike uphill to Skyline Drive, then walk north (left) on the Drive for a short stretch, it is less than a half-mile away.

Sidewinder
09-15-2008, 10:07
I was going to start a new thread, but found this one, thanks to everyone for all the added info. My questions have been answered. :banana

I'll pick up a couple days of food before entering the park and can get by on what I buy at the park stores.

energier
02-18-2012, 10:44
good info!
I will be hiking south starting in HF to South end of park w/limited time so I need a very light pack weight. This info is a few years old and in this economy I wanted to check is the info still accurate? can anyone add anything more on elk wallow I would like to do some resupply there and then Big Meadows Is elk Wallow selection about the same as Loft Mtn store?