PDA

View Full Version : Advice/Help about getting to Port Clinton, PA

rubyvermonter
07-16-2008, 14:56
I am section hiking from just north of Port Clinton, PA, to Harper's Ferry beginning on August 3 or 4. I am looking for suggestions about gettting to the trail. I live in Vermont and have a car. I had planned to drive down and leave my car at the Harper's Ferry park parking lot, but I can't figure out a good way to get to Port Clinton. A shuttler is too expensive and I can't find any reasonable means of public transportation. Or I could leave my car at home and take public transportation to as close to the trailhead as possible. I know about bus service from NYC to Reading, PA or from Philadelphia to Reading. Or I could find another hiker who wants to do a car swap. Does such a plan interest anyone? Any other suggestions?

Rubyvermonter

Sly
07-16-2008, 15:17
You may try calling the Outfitters at Harpers Ferry to see if they know of an inexpensive shuttle, or someone going that way.

Wise Old Owl
07-16-2008, 20:54
The outfitter is Ye Old Backpacker in Port Clinton (610) 562-2322

If you cannot pull it together - PM me I am in PA.

shelterbuilder
07-16-2008, 21:04
I am section hiking from just north of Port Clinton, PA, to Harper's Ferry beginning on August 3 or 4. I am looking for suggestions about gettting to the trail. I live in Vermont and have a car. I had planned to drive down and leave my car at the Harper's Ferry park parking lot, but I can't figure out a good way to get to Port Clinton. A shuttler is too expensive and I can't find any reasonable means of public transportation. Or I could leave my car at home and take public transportation to as close to the trailhead as possible. I know about bus service from NYC to Reading, PA or from Philadelphia to Reading. Or I could find another hiker who wants to do a car swap. Does such a plan interest anyone? Any other suggestions?

Rubyvermonter

Well, let's see...Port Clinton is on Pa. Rt. 61, which runs between Pottsville (north) and Reading (south). There is inter-city bus transportation between the two cities (check Trailways and Greyhound); Reading has a regional airport, and the county bus line (BARTA, if you care to Google it) has a run to Cabela's store in Hamburg (just south of Port Clinton), where you could catch a ride north toward Pottsville on that county's bus line (Schuylkill Transportation Authority - STA, I think). Ye Olde Backpacker (the outfitter in Port Clinton) does shuttles - you can PM him here on WB. Amtrak would only get you as far as Philadelphia.

I can't help you that weekend - I'll be in upstate Pa. at the Pa. Sled Dog Club's summer campout. But feel free to PM me with specific questions for a week or so.

Have a great trip.:D

rubyvermonter
07-17-2008, 12:17
Thanks for the replies. I'm still struggling to make a plan. I called The Outfitter in Harper's Ferry, who told me Greyhound used to provide service up Route 81 to Port Clinton. Too bad it no longer exists. The person I spoke to had no better ideas. I have used Ye Olde Backpacker in Port Clinton in the past. The cost of a shuttle from Harper's Ferry to Port Clinton would be prohibitive. I'm aware of the bus routes from Philadelphia/Reading and the train. The Reading airport seems to have only chartered service. There's no reason for me to drive down if I have to spend another day or more on public transportation. My challenge is to develop a plan that is workable.

partinj
07-17-2008, 12:21
If you have a amtrak where you live they go right to Harper's Ferry

rubyvermonter
07-17-2008, 15:43
Hi all,

You won't believe this but as of July 7th, Trailways no longer offers service from Reading to Pottsville, so I'm left with Barta bus from Reading to Cabelas. It is so cumbersome to drive down Harper's Ferry and get a shuttle back to Port Clinton (and prohibitively expensive) so that I decided to take public transportation the whole way. I won't be able to travel in one day. Even if I fly into NYC or Philadelphia, I have to take a bus from either location to Reading and then get the Bartabus. I'll probably spend a night or two with friends in the NYC area. Thanks for helping me sort this through.

rubyvermonter
07-18-2008, 12:41
Well, here I go again. Greyhound has a bus from Newark, NJ to Allentown, PA, which goes onto Harrisburg, PA. There is no designated stop in Hamburg and I've received conflicting information over the phone (probably from people not in the US) about whether the driver would get off the highway and let me off in Hamburg. (And I've tried calling the Newark and Allentown bus stations, with no success). Does anyone have experience with this route?

Rubyvermonter?