PDA

View Full Version : maps and books

dmax
07-16-2008, 17:41
Does a thru/section hiker really need to carry the books and maps? Couldn't a person just right down resupply points on a small piece of paper? I see people all the time stopping along the trail looking at their maps? I ask if they are lost? No, just checking to see if there is a hill ahead. Probably! You go up a hill, you go down a hill.....Then one hour later you see them looking at their map again. Why? You're following the white blazes.
If you're shelter hopping, why would you need a book? The shelters are set up pretty evenly spaced. Almost all the shelters have the distance to the next shelter posted in them. The books are a good read for some of the local facts and preplanning. I just couldn't see myself carry them.

rafe
07-16-2008, 18:08
This has been discussed ad nauseum. I'm with the camp that says it's a bit dangerous and irresponsible not to have a map. 99% of the time you don't absolutely need a map. It's that other 1% of the time that'll get you.

FYI, the shelters on the AT are not evenly spaced. And the blazing, while generally excellent, has occasional lapses (most often at critical junctions and crossings of meadows and roads.) If you're not using shelters, a map helps you figure out where the camp-able sections are likely to be (relatively flat, near water, etc.)

As for resupply, that's not necessarily what the maps are for. For resupply, folks usually carry one of the data books, or the appropriate sections thereof.

Frosty
07-16-2008, 18:13
Does a thru/section hiker really need to carry the books and maps? Couldn't a person just right down resupply points on a small piece of paper? I see people all the time stopping along the trail looking at their maps? I ask if they are lost? No, just checking to see if there is a hill ahead. Probably! You go up a hill, you go down a hill.....Then one hour later you see them looking at their map again. Why? You're following the white blazes.
If you're shelter hopping, why would you need a book? The shelters are set up pretty evenly spaced. Almost all the shelters have the distance to the next shelter posted in them. The books are a good read for some of the local facts and preplanning. I just couldn't see myself carry them.Lotsa drama here. Just don't carry them if you don't want to. What's the big deal if others do?

I don't carry the AT guidebooks, but I do carry AT maps in case I get hurt. I've found that every time I take my map out of my pack, about 5 people who "don't need maps" appear out of nowhere and start looking over my shoulder at my map. I figure if I get hurt, I'd just pull out the map and ask one of the people who always appear to go for help.

HikerRanky
07-16-2008, 18:24
Dmax,

As terrapin has said, it's a topic that has been discussed time and time and time again.... I'm like terrapin, most of the time you don't need them, but there may be a chance that at some point you will need them. However, as with all risks, it is YOU that has to decide to either accept it, avoid it, or lessen the risk in some fashion that is acceptable to you.

I would suggest a search on trail maps... You'll find a fair amount of threads about it.

Hope this helps.

Randy

dmax
07-16-2008, 18:40
Sorry, kinda new to the site. Its hard to find time to look at old threads when there are new ones popping up all the time. Some of the old threads are OLD threads. Times change. So do peoples minds. A new perspective is usefull sometimes. I guess for all ya all whos been on here for a long time, try to put up with us newbees to WB.
I'm also not try to start a fight or debate or to make anybody mad.
I liked the idea of carrying one incase I got hurt that somebody said. It would be nice to point a would be rescurer in the right dirrection.

rafe
07-16-2008, 20:03
I liked the idea of carrying one incase I got hurt that somebody said. It would be nice to point a would be rescurer in the right dirrection.

Not even so much for the benefit of the rescuer, but for your own benefit. A map will show you the easiest way off the trail and back to "civilization", should it come to that. But even more so, a map may help to keep you out of trouble in the first place.

dmax
07-16-2008, 20:41
"I" don't see how a map shows you the easiest way out. It might be 4 miles to a road on the AT, but only one by bush wacking. Should I head aimlessly off the AT into the worst laurel thicket around, that is not shown on my map? And if your hurt, Is getting off the trail a good idea? What if you get off the trail on your short cut and then can't go nowhere. Who's going to find me?

rafe
07-16-2008, 20:47
"I" don't see how a map shows you the easiest way out. It might be 4 miles to a road on the AT, but only one by bush wacking. Should I head aimlessly off the AT into the worst laurel thicket around, that is not shown on my map? And if your hurt, Is getting off the trail a good idea? What if you get off the trail on your short cut and then can't go nowhere. Who's going to find me?

In the worst case, you may have tough decisions to make. But at least with a map, they will be informed decisions.

The Old Fhart
07-16-2008, 20:52
I came across a rescue of a hiker who had tried to jump across some wet rocks on a small stream, slipped, and knocked himself out. He was laying in the stream and hypothermic when found. By trail the nearest road was a few miles away but the rescuers knew there was a dirt access road not much more than 100 yards from the trail.

It is better to have maps and not need them than to need them and not have them. Having the knowledge to use a map and compass is basic for anyone going into the woods.

dmax
07-16-2008, 20:53
Sounds fair enough to me.

Pedaling Fool
07-16-2008, 21:44
...I've found that every time I take my map out of my pack, about 5 people who "don't need maps" appear out of nowhere and start looking over my shoulder at my map...
Happens every time:datz

Wags
07-16-2008, 22:53
i spoke w/ a couple this weekend who told me they read a book by some lady who thru'd and said that the locals in parts of w. virginia and nc painted their own blazes to mess up thrus. don't know of the validity of this, but that would be an instance where a map would be handy

rafe
07-16-2008, 23:09
i spoke w/ a couple this weekend who told me they read a book by some lady who thru'd and said that the locals in parts of w. virginia and nc painted their own blazes to mess up thrus. don't know of the validity of this, but that would be an instance where a map would be handy

ISTM, that could only be true short-term, until the next time the maintainers came through. I can't believe any maintainer would allow that situation to linger. Though I suppose it could be a matter of days or weeks before the situation were discovered.

tight-wad
07-16-2008, 23:10
I've been solo hiking the AT for several years now. On 3 occasions that I can specifically remember the map and compass got me back on track. Each time was a road crossing, and each time I spent too many minutes, too many feet uphill, before deciding to stop and check.

ps - GPS is pretty much useless on the AT. Too much tree cover, too much weight, too many batteries, too small screen, ...

Nearly Normal
07-17-2008, 05:32
Tear out the pages for each section and bounce the book ahead. Take the map. It's always fun to curse the elevation reference.

LIhikers
07-17-2008, 06:52
We always take the maps for two reasons. First, it's good to know where you are. The more important reason is that my wife like to read maps. She'll sit down with a good map like most of us would sit down with a good book.

wilconow
07-17-2008, 08:14
We always take the maps for two reasons. First, it's good to know where you are. The more important reason is that my wife like to read maps. She'll sit down with a good map like most of us would sit down with a good book.

Well, not to trivialize how important maps can be in case of emergency, but they do make for good reading material, even if you're not a map-geek.

there's been so many times i've taken a 5 minute break, leaned on a tree... my book is packed away, but map is right there in my pocket. As much as I wish for a change, the back of all clif bars read the same story. studying maps, the contour lines, seeing where the road you just crossed goes, reading the nearby map names, how long the stream is, etc makes for good reading out in the woods.

ki0eh
07-17-2008, 08:48

I suppose this might happen but I also wonder if rumors like this get started by those who stumble on old A.T. locations where the blazes aren't removed sufficiently well. As with any endeavor in human communication, it's certainly possible that what's obvious to the blazer isn't to the hiker.

rafe
07-17-2008, 09:03
I suppose this might happen but I also wonder if rumors like this get started by those who stumble on old A.T. locations where the blazes aren't removed sufficiently well. As with any endeavor in human communication, it's certainly possible that what's obvious to the blazer isn't to the hiker.

Yep, I was thinking along the same lines.... the report from hikingPA sounds a bit like an urban legend. But I certainly have seen "old AT" blazes, usually painted-over, but occasionally not.

dmax
07-17-2008, 16:23
This is the kind of usefull information I was looking for. Before starting this thread, I did read an old thread. It was horrible! So much hate on both sides. It was hard to read.
I usually don't carry a map, but I Was looking for the helpfull information and benefits to carrying one all the time. With the reasons posted here, I will probably carry one all the time. Even if its just to use as reading material. Hopefully I'll never have to use it in an emergency situation.

rafe
07-17-2008, 17:11
Hopefully I'll never have to use it in an emergency situation.

And with any luck, you won't. ;)

Some folks advocate only carrying stuff that they'll use "every day." But I'm not so sure about that advice. There are a few items I carry "just in case." Stuff like needle and thread, patches for my sleeping pad, or first-aid items. Rain gear isn't used every day -- but I carry some anyway.

Anyway, as others have pointed out -- maps have certain uses aside from emergencies.

Wise Old Owl
07-19-2008, 13:37

A map can tell you where that last fire trail ends up, instant options present themselves. Life is Good.