PDA

View Full Version : Rain and getting wet (with gear)

Psch91
07-16-2008, 18:28
I went on an overnight'er last night, and it poured hard for about 2 hours, and then kept trickling. This was the first time that I wore the marmot precip.

1. I had my phone in the belt pocket on my ULA catalyst before it started raining, then I put it into the left pocket of the precip. It was about ~90 degrees (down here in Florida) as well as high humidity so I was severely wet from sweat under the jacket (as if it rained through the jacket). Anyhow my phone did not stay dry in the pocket. The area on the jacket that was just above my hip belt seemed to have had a little collection of water (puddle of sorts) under it. The parts that were dry on the jacket were the normal color green of the jacket, but around the belt area it was a dark green, to say that it was wet.

Did I get a faulty jacket? Should I assume that the pocket is not water proof? Does the tight belt on the jacket "squeeze" water into the jacket?

2. How do you guys dry your shoes overnight (or do you)? It rained almost all night, but was dry in the morning. I didnt have time to wait and let the shoes dry, so I had to put on new socks and my shoes (Asics Trail Runners) and walk with wet shoes.

3. As I mentioned I have the catalyst, with the large pack cover. I connected it right (right side up, and attached the little loops behind my lower back) but a lot of water collected at the bottom of the cover. Im guessing that the water came in through gaps at each side where my shoulder straps are right under the pack cover. Any way to fix it or is that common? Is there any trick to not getting the foam pad on the back and the frame sheet wet? Or do I have to deal with that? I also found out that the belt pockets are quite awesome at holding water.

Thanks

Psch91
07-16-2008, 18:33
I also wanted to say that I was a little let down my the tarptent rainbow (first night out with it). Its all fine and dandy except for the condensation. I guess its just my environment though. Like I mentioned it was really hot and high humidity, and there was no air movement at all (no breeze), so it was stinking muggy in the tent. I couldnt have the door open because of the rain and because there were so many mosquitos. Whenever a hard rain drop fell on my tent, condensation came off the walls and splashed me in my face, it was quite annoying. I set it up next to a big tree ontop of my tyvek groundcloth which was ontop of wet leaves. In the morning when I shook my tent it was not only wet outside but all over the inside.

Skidsteer
07-16-2008, 18:46
Did I get a faulty jacket? Should I assume that the pocket is not water proof? Does the tight belt on the jacket "squeeze" water into the jacket?

You really don't have to assume. In the case of your Precip, it doesn't sound waterproof.

What I do is keep a zip loc in the hip pocket with my camera or phone. All I have to do is remember to put it in the baggie when it starts raining.

Cool AT Breeze
07-16-2008, 19:26
First off wearing rain gear in Florida summer is like wearing a sauna. Just enjoy the nice cool rain. My Precip will wet out after about an hour of hard rain. Yes you just deal with the foam on the frame sheet getting wet.If your shoes or boots are wet when you get to camp put your'e camp shoes on pull the footbeds out of your hiking shoes so they will air dry over night. I wear leather boots so if they are wet in the morning I put on two pair of socks untill my first break. Now the tent. I have the HS contrail and it was a learning curve switching from a double wall tent to a single wall. I was ready to give up on it till I came to understand that is just the nature of the beast. If you don't or can't ventalate you are going to get condinsation. I carry a piece of one of those super absorbant towles and dry it inside and out befor I pack it in the morning. I hope this info helps you out.

highway
07-16-2008, 19:46
The jacket has large pit zips that should be, as quickly as you begin to sweat, opened all the way, to vent your hot, sweaty air. Of course, that is to stay dry in cooler weather.

But, in the 90 plus degree heat of high humidity Florida, you may have been better off either not to have used any rain gear or compromised with a short rain cape like this:http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=824&CFID=399028&CFTOKEN=92863883&mainproducttypeid=1

Personally, I would have just cooled off by getting rained on without using any rain gear and only have put it on if I became cold when I stopped.

Summit
07-16-2008, 19:50
Why expend so much energy trying to stay dry in hot, muggy weather? I would relish the rain soaking me. You will sweat to death in a Precip or any other non-breathable garment under those conditions. As for your tent experience in high temp, high humidity conditions, there is no way to get comfortable. That's why most people avoid camping in those conditions if possible. I grew up in FLA. I wouldn't dream of going camping this time of year! :eek:

Psch91
07-16-2008, 20:05
Why expend so much energy trying to stay dry in hot, muggy weather? I would relish the rain soaking me. You will sweat to death in a Precip or any other non-breathable garment under those conditions. As for your tent experience in high temp, high humidity conditions, there is no way to get comfortable. That's why most people avoid camping in those conditions if possible. I grew up in FLA. I wouldn't dream of going camping this time of year! :eek:

Well, it was more of a test to see how the jacket did, than trying to keep dry. Im planning on a 2009 hike, and was just testing out some of the (new) gear. I didnt wear my rain pants because it wouldnt make sense.

Yeah, I sure wasnt comfortable in my tent, it was hot!

I actually didnt plan to go camping, I just called the place for info and ended up with a camp site reservation, heh. It was mainly a learning trip than one for fun. I learned a lot, and saw how miserable I could be under the right circumstances ;)

Thanks for all your replies guys. Very good info Cool AT Breeze.

Frau
07-16-2008, 20:21
Two weeks ago it began to rain hard while I was on a hike. I took out my Precip, put the hood on my head and then draped the body of the jacket over my pack. Because of the incline, my head kept even my feet dry. My whole front did the breathing--I and the pack stayed dry.

Ditto on the baggie for the phone. It always for works for me.

Frau

rafe
07-16-2008, 20:25
I also wanted to say that I was a little let down my the tarptent rainbow (first night out with it). Its all fine and dandy except for the condensation. I guess its just my environment though. Like I mentioned it was really hot and high humidity, and there was no air movement at all (no breeze), so it was stinking muggy in the tent. I couldnt have the door open because of the rain and because there were so many mosquitos. Whenever a hard rain drop fell on my tent, condensation came off the walls and splashed me in my face, it was quite annoying. I set it up next to a big tree ontop of my tyvek groundcloth which was ontop of wet leaves. In the morning when I shook my tent it was not only wet outside but all over the inside.

Yep, that's been my experience with the Rainbow as well. It's not the dryest tent in the world. But I didn't get soaked, either. The "misting" and condensation are par for the course, I think, with any single-walled tent -- unless you can somehow ventilate it well. But as you say, that's hard to do in a Rainbow in a heavy rain.

taildragger
07-16-2008, 20:49
Yep, that's been my experience with the Rainbow as well. It's not the dryest tent in the world. But I didn't get soaked, either. The "misting" and condensation are par for the course, I think, with any single-walled tent -- unless you can somehow ventilate it well. But as you say, that's hard to do in a Rainbow in a heavy rain.

Ventilation will be an issue with any of the tarptents. I've only had one night with any real condensation in my cloudburst (but it vents well). I've had more condensation in my tarp than in my tarptent FYI.

Christmastree
07-16-2008, 20:56
Even up north I don't try to wear rain gear on hot humid days. I just ordered a set of Frog Togs because I have seen posts spaeak highly of them and they are really reasonably priced. Anyone have comments on Frog Togs?

J5man
07-16-2008, 21:04
Frogg Toggs are really good for the money. They are bulkier than some of the other higher priced raingear so it is a trade off. THey breathe, they keep you dry, and you can use the top as a windbreaker or light jacket of course. Some have a hood that collapse into the zippered collar compartment. THey are somewhat "delicate" and used for any type of bushwacking. They are like heavy "paper" if you will. You can find a lot of opinions on here.

rafe
07-16-2008, 21:32
I'll second J5man's comments (Msg. #12) re. Frogg Toggs.

Tipi Walter
07-16-2008, 21:39
Only one night? What would you have done differently if it was the first night of a 10 day trip? Just asking.

As far as the shoes go, I never put on dry socks in wet boots or shoes, just not worth it. But for a one night trip, I guess it makes some sense. There's nothing wrong with donning the old wet socks in the morning with the wet shoes. I always keep a pair of dry socks for sleeping and they never get wet. Two pair per trip, etc.

After reading the Tarptent comments I wonder why backpackers carry something that even when new has issues and compromises(misting and condensation). Just because it's light?

rafe
07-16-2008, 22:24
After reading the Tarptent comments I wonder why backpackers carry something that even when new has issues and compromises(misting and condensation). Just because it's light?

Yeah, pretty much. ;) If I had it to do over again, I might "compromise" and get a Big Agnes (double-walled) solo tent at the cost of another half-pound or so. Everything's a compromise, Tipi -- but you already knew that. The misting/condensation was only an issue on a handful of nights. In most regards, the tent is a delight. The BA would have the advantage of being useful without a fly -- for bug protection on hot (rain-free) nights.

ed bell
07-16-2008, 22:41
High humidity and hot temperatures will never offer the right conditions to test the protection level of your gear.

ChinMusic
07-16-2008, 22:58
Psch91 - For a wet tent in the morning, consider a mesh bag instead of the stuff sack that came with the tent. You can hang the mesh bag on the outside of your pack and it will dry some as you hike (gets lighter too).

I use: http://www.rei.com/product/733359

Skidsteer
07-16-2008, 23:06
Psch91 - For a wet tent in the morning, consider a mesh bag instead of the stuff sack that came with the tent. You can hang the mesh bag on the outside of your pack and it will dry some as you hike (gets lighter too).

I use: http://www.rei.com/product/733359

A Catalyst (http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.htm)(and Conduit, for that matter) already has a nifty built-in mesh bag.

take-a-knee
07-16-2008, 23:24
It is WAY too hot to be wearing any sort of raingear except a poncho now, and with a silnylon poncho (10oz) it serves as your packcover also. As for your phone, I recommend one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knVB0dUDOCg&feature=related

I've been in the water several times with mine fishing and kayaking and I answered a call last weekend in a rainstorm. I paid $80 for it with a two year contract with Verizon.

Skidsteer
07-16-2008, 23:37
Nice. How heavy is it?

Looks like just the ticket for our construction crew leaders at work.

Wise Old Owl
07-17-2008, 00:01
From personal experience - Turn off the phone let it take messages! stuff it in a Glad tupperware like hard case. They are more water tight than PELICAN & PLASTIC BAGS Don't believe me. take the container and stuff with a few tissues and dunk - always test your equipment. Secretly there is a paper dot below your battery. IF it gets wet it turns red even in too much humidity. Thats what can void the warrenty.

take-a-knee
07-17-2008, 00:02
Nice. How heavy is it?

Looks like just the ticket for our construction crew leaders at work.

5.3 oz according to the Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. The battery life is great, much longer than the owners manual states (it assumes bluetooth use, which I don't). I only charge it every several days at home and on an 11day NC/GA section hike I charged it once.

LIhikers
07-17-2008, 06:31
When I hike in the rain I know I won't stay dry, even with rain gear on, because I sweat so much. So for me hiking in the rain is about staying warm, not dry. With that being said, I'm happy with my Marmot Precip.

QuebecRun
07-17-2008, 08:02
My experience with my Marmot Precip was same as yours. Get a Frogg Toggs jacket and you'll be much happier.

rpenczek
07-17-2008, 08:35
TarpTent sells a really light weight liner for the roof of your Rainbow. It clips to the inside and when you get misting or condensation, it comes off the inside of the tent, hits the liner and rolls to the ends of the tent.

rafe
07-17-2008, 08:44
TarpTent sells a really light weight liner for the roof of your Rainbow. It clips to the inside and when you get misting or condensation, it comes off the inside of the tent, hits the liner and rolls to the ends of the tent.

Well, at that point... you might as well go with a double-walled tent, no?

Matteroo
07-17-2008, 10:14
if you hike in rain for long enough you'll get wet no matter what gear you have.
A double-walled tent will suffer from condensation in 90 degree weather with rain and lots of humidity-it will also still be super hot in there. the only thing you may prevent is some condensation dripage and that is not a guarantee. There is no product which is both waterproof & breatheable under strenuous hiking conditions. Waterproof + breatheable is for some situation like its 72 degrees out, raining, and you are sitting still (fishing) - the second you are exerting yourself, you will sweat. You sweat in a t-shirt for instance and it may be highly highly breathable.

buy some of the sea-to-summit waterproof bags and even a packliner (or use the .4 mil uber plastic bag from home depot or something). I kept our camera in the catalyst hip-belt pocket. If it was nice out, no dry-sack, but the second there was rain in it went.

Wags
07-17-2008, 10:25
the sleeves on my precip last about 15 minutes before my arms are soaked. kind of disappointed that my lands end rain jacket works better than my precip :(

Footslogger
07-17-2008, 10:40
I own and have experimented with a lot of different rain jackets/pants, ranging from the Precip types to Frogg Toggs and finally to the silnylon ones.

ALL the laminates (Precip included) eventually soak out in a steady downpour. They are somewhat akin to Goretex and work on a temperature/pressure principle. After a while, the same thing that keeps water out ends up keeping water in ...in the form of perspiration. In other words ...it's hot and humid on both the inside AND outside so no moisture vapor moves across the membrane. Their so-called breathability is totally compromised. Oh yeah ...and once the outer layer (generally a ripstop nylon) soaks out it tends to stay wet for quite a while.

During the somewhat wet 2003 hiking season I used and sent home just about every rain jacket I tried ...with the exception of the Anorak silnylon pullover from Equinox. No, it's not breathable but it is does have ventillation slits and it weighs about 6 ounces. It has a generous hood and a large front zippered pouch (which serves as it's own stuff sack). I got it a size larger than I normally would in another jacket which allowed for better circulation of air through the ventillation slits.

Like others have said ...a large portion of the time you are just as well off just going without a rain jacket all together. The exception is when there is a cool breeze in which case you run the risk of getting chilled or even dropping into hypothermia.

'Slogger

fiddlehead
07-17-2008, 13:54
In high humidity, rainy conditions, i set up my "sil shelter" high. ( I have heavy duty string tied to each point with about 3 different loops for different conditions)
By high, i mean i have about 8-10 inches of space between the ground and the bottom of the tent/tarp.
If mosquitos are bad, i break out my headnet.
i've never been wet in my "sil shelter"

I love Frogg Toggs. They are the dryest / breathable raingear i've seen
I don't know how dry you'd be in hot/humid hiking if you are really putting out physical energy though.

I put the wet tent in the big mesh back pocket of my "Breeze" pack till i find a sunny spot to dry it out next day.

Ender
07-17-2008, 14:04
After years of fighting with rain jackets in hot weather, I finally went back to my childhood raingear, the trusty poncho. For cool to hot weather, it's fantastic (if it's really hot though, often I just hike without protection and get wet, so cool and clean myself off). I got the Sierra Designs poncho, which is of some WPB fabric, though considering it's a poncho I'm not sure why they bothered with the fabric. Eventually I'll probably spend the $$ on a sil poncho. For cold weather though, I still bring a jacket.

For shelter, since I've switched to the Hennesy Hammock, condensation hasn't been an issue, though I would really like to upgrade the fly to a larger size (and a lighter fabric). I'd like a little extra sace underneath to keep the rest of my gear dry.

Homer&Marje
07-17-2008, 14:19
Frogg Toggs are really good for the money. They are bulkier than some of the other higher priced raingear so it is a trade off. THey breathe, they keep you dry, and you can use the top as a windbreaker or light jacket of course. Some have a hood that collapse into the zippered collar compartment. THey are somewhat "delicate" and used for any type of bushwacking. They are like heavy "paper" if you will. You can find a lot of opinions on here.

I Just purchased some Frogg Toggs myself. Best price I could find on rain gear. I was disappointed with the breathability of the system but find them extremely comfy and extremely warm in cold weather. Haven't used them in really hot weather but did hike through humidity in mine and got pretty sweaty. With regards to them being delicate, I found that the only thing to make a hole in mine was kneeling on a hot coal. duct tape seems to be the perfect patch though, sticks like it's supposed to be there

rootball
07-17-2008, 16:15
I've been there, too. I stopped using my Precip Jacket for the same reason. I use driducks in warmer months and a patagonia rainshadow (on sale) in the colder months. As for the tarptent - thats what they do. Even my 8x10 siltarp drops mist on me during heavy rain. It sucks, but it is worth the weight savings, most times. As for the shoes - give it time and you will get used to wearing wet shoes. Like one poster said last winter 'I walk through the first stream I come to, that way I don't have to worry about getting my shoes wet.' I agree with Tipi - I keep one pair of socks dry to sleep in and the other pair gets abused. I just wring them out and keep walking. I wear really thin Smartwool liner socks in warm temps. They dry fast and help the shoe drying process. As for the pack cover - I don't have one of those - I keep my bag and sleeping clothes in a compactor bag. The phone - I never carry one, but to keep my camera dry I keep a baggie in the Catalyst pocket - if it rains I put the camera in the baggie - or if I am crossing a sketchy creek, one where I might fall in, I put the camera in the baggie and put that in a small dry bag in my pack. I fell in a notorious crossing two years ago, but my camera was safe.
I dry my tarp with a camp towel before it goes in the pack - or if its still raining I just shake it the best I can and put it in the big outside pocket - my tarp does not have a storage bag of its own.

Blissful
07-17-2008, 19:43
As for shoes being wet, they get wet. The nice thing is, they will dry quickly once the sun is out (unlike boots that can take days, trust me). So when you are on a longer hike, stop and take off your trail runners, take out the insoles and let them dry in the sun as you munch a snack.

I took my precip the entre hike last year. Yeah it stinks in hot weather and when hiking (I wore my windshirt in rainy warm weather, actually), but for camp it's great.

You need to make sure to empty out your rain cover at the bottom at it will collect water unless you have drain holes (having a larger rain cover of sil nylon means the water collects, but awya from your pack). Do not set down your pack or it will soak the bottom of your pack.

Nothing stays dry in pouring down rain. Triple bag anything of value. The nice thing is, the sun comes out to dry everything.

berninbush
07-17-2008, 20:04
High humidity and hot temperatures will never offer the right conditions to test the protection level of your gear.

Unless those are the primary conditions you're planning to hike in, and you want to know if your gear will handle it well. (Texas!!)

This is why I hike in sandals that dry quickly.

hopefulhiker
07-17-2008, 22:02
Always put stuff like cameras in zip locks, If it is really hot, I would forget the rain jacket too. With a Tarptent, the way to avoid condensation is to pitch it under trees and into the wind. Also try to sleep cool because condensation is caused by the temperature difference between the outside and inside of the tent.

ed bell
07-17-2008, 23:26
Unless those are the primary conditions you're planning to hike in, and you want to know if your gear will handle it well. (Texas!!)

This is why I hike in sandals that dry quickly.Very true, I had not considered that in my response.

squeeze
07-17-2008, 23:48
I like to use an umbrella. Keeps the upper body dry and ventilated.

Wags
07-17-2008, 23:53
i'm looking into a cape type thing the hobbits wore. those things were amazing

taildragger
07-18-2008, 00:15

Never had problems with my cloudburst, I bring it to give me more bug protection than my tarp does (I hate vampire insects).

OTOH, I've never had my tarptent in real rain, I've however had my tarp in rain, snow, and windy rain, woke up dry in it, just a little cooler than camping in a tent.

Odd Thomas
07-18-2008, 07:30
I like to use an umbrella. Keeps the upper body dry and ventilated.

They're good for blackflies too, for some reason they wont go under an umbrella.

River Runner
07-18-2008, 18:02
Well, at that point... you might as well go with a double-walled tent, no?

Actually no. The liner weighs only 4 oz for the Double Rainbow.

Double wall tents will get a lot of condensation in hot humid weather too.

Bare Bear
07-18-2008, 18:17
ONLY Heavy Duty Ziplock. The generic brands do not cut it.
No need for rain gear n Florida as it will dry out faster than you get the stuff out usually. Why you hiking in the summer madman? :)