PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrated meal source

OregonHiker
07-16-2008, 21:41
Does anyone know of a cheap source of dehydrated meals, wether on-line or at a brick and mortar store?

I am leading a group of 7-10 Scouts on a fifty mile trip this summer on the PCT.

Thanks

Wise Old Owl
07-17-2008, 10:19
You can buy direct at that point, Mountain House has a special program (internet/mail) for boy scouts, make sure you get some Cherry Blast!

C-Stepper
07-17-2008, 14:26
http://www.trailfoods.com/meals1.html

sarbar
07-17-2008, 19:28
If you are willing to put some effort into it you could save a lot of money (and there are many a Scout parent who would be grateful these days!). It also works as a good Scout activity - get the guys together one evening or Saturday and prep all the meals in one swoop.

So how does one do that? By cheating a bit. The staples like instant rice, couscous, ramen and mashed potatoes can be bought anywhere in big boxes or bulk.

Then go to www.harmonyhousefoods.com for every dried vegetable you could want. They are diced small for quick use on trail. Add in some beef flavored TVP or Taco flavor for protein (and highly shelf stable).

You can make a couple meals for the price of ONE freeze dried meal. If you need help at all....just ask :)

Todd Heyn
07-18-2008, 06:39
I just got done arranging a 9 day trip on the NJ AT for a group of 12 Scouts and Scouters. For our dinners we ordered the bulk #10 cans of Mountain House. Then broke then down into individual servings in freezer bags. This was by far the easiest group backpacking trip that I have ever put together.

We ordered our food from Emergency Essentials (http://www.beprepared.com). I have had great service from them.

It may not be the cheapest source but it was by far the easiest.

peakbagger
07-18-2008, 09:00
Adventurefoods.com specializes in supplying bulk dehydrated foods for youth groups and summer camps. I have heard they supplied Philmont at one time but havent confirmed it. They sell prepared meals, but the big savings is to buy the bulk dehydrated veggies and meat, then add them into pasta mixes (liptons). This a major savings and a lot less packaging than buying prepared meals.

They do tend to have busy seasons so their delivery time can vary a bit.

sarbar
07-18-2008, 11:56
Just so everyone knows, Adventurefoods for now is closed down.

Seeker
07-19-2008, 23:32
hawkvittles.com

small, very personal operation, excellent service, quick turnaround. not cheap, but definitely worth the money... taste comes from ingredients, not salt or MSG. my daughter wants the buffalo bowties for regular dinner now.

fiddlehead
07-19-2008, 23:49
Trader Joes.

I always thought that Mountain House was "Freeze Dried" food, not dehydrated.

Todd Heyn
07-20-2008, 06:57
Freeze dried is dehydrated, but not all dehydrated is freeze dried.

Seeker
07-20-2008, 09:57
hawkvittles.com

small, very personal operation, excellent service, quick turnaround. not cheap, but definitely worth the money... taste comes from ingredients, not salt or MSG. my daughter wants the buffalo bowties for regular dinner now.

good point... just to clarify, these are dehydrated, not freeze dried... but they taste really good regardless.

minnesotasmith
07-20-2008, 10:40
hawkvittles.com

And, Seeker's description of the products for sale there looks right on the money. Heck of a variety to boot; you could go close to a month and never repeat a dinner. But for eight-plus bucks a meal, not going to happen often. If I was a millionaire, I'd have this kind of stuff every day I cooked during thruhikes. Sigh. Staying with my whole-grain Lipton sides (jazzed up, to be sure), I'm afraid...

Puppy
07-20-2008, 14:00
I have about 30 or 40 Mountain House meals left over I would happy to sell you cheap.

I got them for Christmas for my thru-hike - but had to leave the trail due to "domestic issues".

Puppy

Sly
07-20-2008, 14:12
www.waltonfeed.com

mudcap
07-20-2008, 18:42
I have about 30 or 40 Mountain House meals left over I would happy to sell you cheap.

I got them for Christmas for my thru-hike - but had to leave the trail due to "domestic issues".

Puppy

Hello Puppy,
PM on the way. I do not need them all,but am interested in some.

sarbar
07-21-2008, 01:42
www.waltonfeed.com (http://www.waltonfeed.com)
A couple readers of my site have mentioned recently that their orders have taken 1 to 2 months to be processed. It was not mentioned when they ordered - it may well be that it is due to rushes on bulk food in recent months causing the delays.

So just a heads up to ask before ordering any larger orders if it will be shipped immediately.

eastwa
07-21-2008, 16:11
Another PM sent to Puppy about the MH meals.
I would be interested also.

minnesotasmith
07-21-2008, 16:46
She and I have already worked out a deal for all of them.

minnesotasmith
07-23-2008, 08:52
http://standeyo.com/NEWS/08_Food_Water/080721.Mountain.House.html

World's Biggest Food Storage Supplier Empty Through ALL 2009

July 21, 2008
By Holly Deyo

It came to our attention today, that the world's largest producer of storable foods, Mountain House, is currently out of stock of ALL #10 cans of freeze dried foods, not just the Turkey Tetrazzini. They will NOT have product now through ALL of 2009.

This information was learned by a Mountain House dealer who shared it with me this morning. In personally talking with the company immediately after, Mountain House verified the information is true. Customer service stated, "I'm surprised they don't have this posted on the website yet." She said they have such a backlog of orders, Mountain House will not be taking any #10 can food requests through the remainder of this year and all of the next.

Mountain House claims this situation is due to a backlog of orders, which may very well be true, but who is purchasing all of their food? This is a massive global corporation.

One idea: the military. Tensions are ramping up with Iran and news segments debate whether or not we will implement a preemptive strike in conjunction with Israel.

This guess is further underscored by our experience at the Internet Grocer. In early June we placed an order with them for Red Feather Real Canned Butter. We brought this same canned butter back with us from Australia – at about half the price. Now it's looking good at any price. It took 6 weeks for the order to arrive due to a major buyout from "the feds". Here is Internet Grocer's posted message:

We're told that the feds bought the entire container of canned butter when it hit the California docks. (Something's up!) Butter arrived first week of June. Get your Butter order in NOW to have yours set aside. We're working to fill back-orders now.

If you dig further on the Internet Grocer site, you find that the military did indeed purchase a large quantity of Mountain House foods, too. Internet Grocer however, is out of the loop on the extent of Mountain House's backlog saying the delay will be 20 weeks, when it is now extended to 76 weeks.

These companies are not alone. People are finally awakened that time is running out. In late May, Fox News aired a live preparedness seminar and they warned people NOT to expect emergency supplies to be provided by the government and that they need to be self-sufficient. Will you be prepared?

SOLUTIONS

1. Some Mountain House dealers may still have #10 cans available. You will need to locate them and contact them directly.... Search Online Dealers.
2. You might check with The Freeze Dry Guy at 866.404.3663 (FOOD) to see if he has supplies available.

3. Always a great option, buy your own bulk foods and pack them for long-term storage. It's easy and you'll have the knowledge at your fingertips whenever you want to set food aside. It eliminates having to depend on vendor, trucker and gouging grocers. You pack what you want to eat and in the quantity that works best for your family.

IceAge
07-28-2008, 16:10
My favorite dehydrated meal on the trail is Stove Top stuffing with Knorr Mushroom Gravy powder and assorted home-dried mushrooms. Man, that is good stuff, I am often tempted to eat it at home.

Cherokee Bill
07-28-2008, 17:15
http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Backpacking-Kit-18-count_p_12-1866.html

Hoop
07-28-2008, 19:41
Second Hawk Vittles, mentioned above by Seeker. One meal feeds two people easily, tastes great. Good variety, too.

russb
07-30-2008, 15:23
Second Hawk Vittles, mentioned above by Seeker. One meal feeds two people easily, tastes great. Good variety, too.

I third it. It was mentioned earlier that the vittles are 8 bucks plus per meal, which is only partially true, As HR says, they feed two people easily so cut the price in half for per meal.

David@whiteblaze
05-25-2010, 14:42
My favorite dehydrated meal on the trail is Stove Top stuffing with Knorr Mushroom Gravy powder and assorted home-dried mushrooms. Man, that is good stuff, I am often tempted to eat it at home.
Haha, I've eaten that as a meal at least 3 time in the past month... can't imagine how I forgot to bring it on-trail...

Wise Old Owl
05-27-2010, 15:59
Wow David - This thread is two years old!

Connie
05-27-2010, 16:24
Yeah. This is now. And Adventure Foods (http://www.adventurefoods.com/aflist.asp?Option=New) isn't closed down.

When I read that the first time, I sent an email. I asked what's happening.

I said. I will keep you listed on my website. And they are back. Okay?

Mountain Wildman
05-27-2010, 16:51
Go fast and light.com has some of the Mountain House 10# cans at a good price, I received an e-mail from them earlier and posted on another thread.
The Beef Stroganoff is 20.96 each and they have a few other choices.

sarbar
05-29-2010, 01:16
Yeah. This is now. And Adventure Foods (http://www.adventurefoods.com/aflist.asp?Option=New) isn't closed down.

When I read that the first time, I sent an email. I asked what's happening.

I said. I will keep you listed on my website. And they are back. Okay?

What was their reply? At the time back then they had their "closed" notice on the website. Your comment is the first I have heard about them coming back - is it them or did they get a new owner?

Father Dragon
05-29-2010, 01:46

Seems my avg doesn't like this adventure foods' site very much ...:confused:

"The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety. Without protection, such as that in the AVG Security Toolbar and AVG, your computer is at risk of being compromised, corrupted or having your identity stolen. Please follow one of the suggestions below to continue."

URL: www.adventurefoods.com/afdetail.asp?Item=.5BB (http://www.adventurefoods.com/afdetail.asp?Item=.5BB)
Name: Link to known exploit site

-------
Don't know what the deal is... all I wanted to do is check out their beans:(

Father Dragon
05-29-2010, 01:50
and then there is this from the site directly on the home page

"IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO ALL OUR CUSTOMERS
Adventure Foods will be filling orders only until February 29, 2008 when we will begin consideration of reorganization possibilities. We will be happy to fill your orders until that time, but our normally reduced winter inventory of ingredients will make some items in short supply.
We appreciate your support and your patience during our hiatus and apologize to all our customers for any inconvenience this may cause you.
Thank you
Sam & Jean"

:-? so what's the deal?

chknfngrs
05-29-2010, 07:56
Love the idea of having scouts make up their meals in advance. In addition to saving $$, you teach them about food. Good stuff, and good luck to you.