PDA

View Full Version : Question About SMD Starlite Pack and Stays

Lucinda
07-17-2008, 08:57
I have an older Starlite pack (maybe around 2004-2005?) which I love.

However, I've always had problems fiddling with the aluminum stays. It seems I can't get them to stay securely in the sleeves. There are small velcro tabs at the top of the sleeves which look like they're meant to secure the stays, but it hasn't really worked that way for me. I find the stays slide up past the velcro tabs and aren't really staying in place. The velcro tabs are too small to be useful.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a design problem or am I missing something on how to secure the stays? Have you found a suitable workaround?

Thanks!

ronmoak
07-17-2008, 10:14
Lucinda,

If you look closely at the Velcro tabs, you'll note that they are made from two layers of webbing. The two layers start at the end of the Velcro and form a pocket. You slide the pocket over the top of the stays and secure it to the bottom pocket with the Velcro.

When configured this way. The stays should stay firmly in place.

Ron

Lucinda
07-17-2008, 19:42
Ron,

Thanks so much! I don't know why I didn't see that initially.

The Starlite is my favorite pack and I'm looking forward to taking it to Yosemite with me this fall.

bigcranky
07-17-2008, 22:12
Ron,

Thanks so much! I don't know why I didn't see that initially.

The Starlite is my favorite pack and I'm looking forward to taking it to Yosemite with me this fall.

I got a Starlite in 2004, and had the exact same issue. Ron set me straight a couple of years ago. It's still my favorite pack, no question.