PDA

View Full Version : My brothers first hike

Jimbo0104
02-27-2004, 23:21
I convinced my brother to go on a hike over spring break this year. Its his first hike so I was thinking around 3-4 days. So far I've sectioned hiked from Springer to NOC so my thought was to go from NOC to Fontana. I've been at school for the past couple years and I haven't looked at a trail guide lately. I seem to remember that part of the trail as a pretty steep acent. My little brother is in pretty good shape, plays high school soccer and runs cross country, but I was kind of worried whether or not this would be a good first hike. My other option was doing some of the trail around Grayson Highlands and Mt Rogers. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jimbo

oyvay
02-28-2004, 20:03
It's a tough hike LOTS of ups and downs, especially the climb out of NOC, but you said your brother is athletic, so he may make it and enjoy the trek. The final few miles to Fontana are literally downhill and in good weather excellent views! Whatever you choose good luck and happy hiking!!

Kerosene
02-29-2004, 19:45
As a long-time soccer player I found that I could handle the ups-and-downs of the Trail as long as my pack wasn't too heavy and my feet didn't get blisters. He should be fine from a fitness standpoint.

Lone Wolf
02-29-2004, 19:51
Come on to the Grayson Highlands/Mt. Rogers area. I'll help you with free shuttling.

B Thrash
02-29-2004, 20:15
Come on to the Grayson Highlands/Mt. Rogers area. I'll help you with free shuttling.

I agree with L. Wolf, shuttle to Fox Creek and come south to Damascus. This was one of the most enjoyable section hikes that I have done on the AT.