PDA

View Full Version : New ATC Journeys Magazine

wilconow
07-17-2008, 12:53
I received it early this week. As always, a few of the articles are available for download on the ATC site

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.727751/

I haven't had a chance to read much of it yet. See that Boonsboro, MD is the featured town.. I believe 'mass-romance' novelist Nora Roberts had a hotel there that burnt down

There were two interesting letters I did manage to read. One was from an older couple who enjoyed the company of younger companions on their hike last year.. except for when a special type of "cigarette" was offered around the campfire. The letter was about how the trail is not immune from laws. I agree with that in theory, but it's kind like if people are driving on a very rural highway, they may be inclined to speed. You gotta expect something like pot smoking is going to be more prevalent in the woods compared to walking down a busy city street

Another was complaining about a cover issue showing farmland in Vermont. Again, I kind of agree with the premise; farmland isn't really the ideal representation of the AT.. but then again, so many areas of the trail in East Vermont (and Virginia, PA, etc) are right near farmland. It makes for pretty scenary too.

max patch
07-17-2008, 13:06
There were two interesting letters I did manage to read. One was from an older couple who enjoyed the company of younger companions on their hike last year.. except for when a special type of "cigarette" was offered around the campfire. The letter was about how the trail is not immune from laws. I agree with that in theory, but it's kind like if people are driving on a very rural highway, they may be inclined to speed. You gotta expect something like pot smoking is going to be more prevalent in the woods compared to walking down a busy city street

So who was in the wrong...

1. The couple who was surprised that an illegal substance was passed around the campfire, or

2. The individuals who passed around an illegal substance at a common area.

One more question...

The dopers asked if it was ok to "smoke" as they sat around the campfire. Do you think they should have been more specific as to their plans?

wilconow
07-17-2008, 13:11
So who was in the wrong...

1. The couple who was surprised that an illegal substance was passed around the campfire, or

2. The individuals who passed around an illegal substance at a common area.

One more question...

The dopers asked if it was ok to "smoke" as they sat around the campfire. Do you think they should have been more specific as to their plans?

I'm sorry, I wasn't saying anybody was "wrong". Just saying, people are more apt to do something like that on the trail.

Patrickjd9
07-17-2008, 18:56
I've got to say that lighting up a joint with people you don't know at a shelter is a bit much; they should have set up a camp for doobies in the woods.

It isn't 1977 anymore.

Jason of the Woods
07-18-2008, 08:17
I've got to say that lighting up a joint with people you don't know at a shelter is a bit much; they should have set up a camp for doobies in the woods.

It isn't 1977 anymore.
The truth of the matter is though that it is more accepted now than ever before. I first encountered it this year at Hawk Mtn Shelter on our second night. Only a few people smoked but noone else seemed to mind. With more and more states legalizing it the acceptance is only going to become greater. I personally would much rather be around a bunch of "dopers" than a bunch of drunks any day.

Monkeywrench
07-18-2008, 08:27
It isn't 1977 anymore.

Damn! Well, that explains a lot.

rafe
07-18-2008, 08:30
I personally would much rather be around a bunch of "dopers" than a bunch of drunks any day.

I'll second that emotion.

MOWGLI
07-18-2008, 08:30

It isn't 1977 anymore.

As someone who grew up in the 70s, I agree 100%. It is rude, irresponsible and inconsiderate to smoke weed at a campsite with people you don't know. Whatever happened to discretion? There's millions of acres adjacent to the AT. Ridiculous.

Jason of the Woods
07-18-2008, 08:37
Every person that I was around was very careful about who else was around at the time of "firing". Especially if there were any kids or section hikers, we, I mean they would go to the tent or for a walk. So actually there was lots of discretion. I remember one night when they walked away because a older clean cut section hiker was at the shelter who pronounced himself as a senator. When they returned he was upset that he wasn't included so the rest of the night he was included.;)

rafe
07-18-2008, 08:40
Every person that I was around was very careful about who else was around at the time of "firing". Especially if there were any kids or section hikers, we, I mean they would go to the tent or for a walk. So actually there was lots of discretion. I remember one night when they walked away because a older clean cut section hiker was at the shelter who pronounced himself as a senator. When they returned he was upset that he wasn't included so the rest of the night he was included.;)

OK, which Senator? I want names! (State senators don't count...)

I hiked for a couple days in 2005 (I think it was) with "Senator Daniel." But that was just a trail name, of course. ;)

Jason of the Woods
07-18-2008, 08:44
OK, which Senator? I want names! (State senators don't count...)

I hiked for a couple days in 2005 (I think it was) with "Senator Daniel." But that was just a trail name, of course. ;)

Man I can't do that. What I can do is say that he is from a legal state and is pushing hard for blanket legalization.:D

SunnyWalker
07-19-2008, 23:44
Against the law. You maynot like the law. Go where it's legal, you know in all those states you mentioned . . . . Meanwhile I hope you can live with the lives you are runing.

Odd Thomas
07-20-2008, 00:37
Against the law. You maynot like the law. Go where it's legal, you know in all those states you mentioned . . . . Meanwhile I hope you can live with the lives you are runing.

That won't solve most of the problem. Where should people who want to drink in public legally go?