PDA

View Full Version : New to the Trail...Looking for Advice

ErikSuch
07-17-2008, 12:59
Hi everyone...i am new to the world of hiking and looking for some advice.

I am planning a short hike around mid-late August (maybe 4-5days). I live in western pennsylvania, so i plan on getting on the trail in PA. Maybe near the wind gap? Not sure yet.

Anyways...i have NEVER been hiking before and im just looking for some advice on my first trip. I have the major essential such as pack, tent, sleeping bag, and basic clothing. But have not purchased anything else such as coooking supplies.

If anyone has some free time that they could help me out with some gear advice or any other things i should know that may be important for a 4-5 day hike, please let me know.

Untill then ill be surfing the other topics and hopefully getting some good ideas.

Thank you so much...and happy hiking!

Erik

ki0eh
07-17-2008, 15:18
:welcome

Read the Articles on this site - under "Thru Hiking Info" on top of the page click then click on "Prep Articles" and that will get you the list.

You will find many opinions on here and might find it difficult to sort through what works for you.

The Wind Gap area is very rocky and a ways away from your locale northeast of Pittsburgh. As it happens you might find better scenery for less pain and certainly less driving distance by trying your first hike on the Laurel Highlands Trail. Clock on the "Other Trails" forum to see reports from folks on WB who've walked that before. You might also want to try out the A.T. in Shenandoah National Park (SNP) or perhaps the Quehanna Trail north of DuBois on a shakedown cruise. The QT is loop with several cross connectors so you can adjust to lesser or greater length depending on the conditions you encounter.

Regardless of what you do, we'd love to hear about it, and do come back now!

freebird'08
07-17-2008, 15:57
It is great that you have decided to get outdoors. As Kioeh stated, it is very rocky on the AT espeically after Dunncannon PA heading North. If you don't mind the rocks then by all means hike where you want to. After all It is your journey. Before you go buying any more expensive gear I would make sure hiking is your thing. Hiking has been the best thing I have every done for myself. The challenges have inspired me on and off the trail. Back to stove, I would once again go cheap! I use a simple alcohol cat can stove. You can find a ton of designs from Sgt. Rock and other on this site and on you tube. Most of the stoves cand be made for 3 bucks. Plus a grease pot from K-mart for 6 bucks and under 10 bucks you have a cooking system. For 4-5 days out your first time you would only need a few ounces of HEET. If you take to hiking like a fish to water then maybe think about a more expensive cooking system.

auburnbreeze
07-17-2008, 16:05
:welcome to WB and to hiking! You will probably get lots of advice...from ppl who are havemore expertise than I do! Best advice I can give you is get out there and enjoy yourself! I love everytime I'm out! I just started hiking 3 years ago.

Jim Adams
07-18-2008, 01:30
ErikSuch,
I would definitely stay close to home and do the Laurel Highlands Trail first. It is a great trail if you end up liking to hike and also is very easy to bail out of if you end up not liking hiking. It is well worn and marked with blazes and mileposts, shelter areas with pump water, privies and cut fire wood. You have to call for reservations but the fees are cheap. You can get the guide book at REI in Pittsburgh.
Try it and if you happen to like hiking then buy more equipment but for now IMO I would go with what you have and keep it cheap.
I'm 20 miles south of Pittsburgh, PM me if you need some directions to the trail or a shuttle.

geek