PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Help

Bob S
07-17-2008, 13:23
I have several external frame packs for backpacking. I like external packs more then internal. But I want to get a pack I can stuff in the trunk (No Frame so it can be bunched up out of the way) to use for day hikes and possible 2 overnight stays while car camping. An external pack would be too big and a frame would not allow it to be stuffed away for the occasional and infrequent use it would get on car camping trips.

I would like to find one that can handle 2 or 3 days of items & food and also allow for a small one person tent and summer sleeping bag. And have a good belt and shoulder strap support.

What would you recommend for this?

Wise Old Owl
07-17-2008, 13:36
Dick's Sporting Goods still carries a external in the retail store & offer more on line
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=external&origkw=external&sr=1

Cabelas has monster frame packs that are far more serious & it appears the bag can be quickly seperated from the larger frames, some of these packs can top 12 pounds empty.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?QueryText=+frame+backpack&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=+frame+backpack&noImage=0

Live the Journey
07-17-2008, 15:09
my favorite frameless pack is the REI Jet UL. It has a removable foam sheet and is a toploading, simple pack. I use it often to travel, and I've used it for afew overnights, but those were in the heat of the summer, so I was just carrying bug netting and a fleece bag liner...It may be pushing it to carry a tent and sleeping bag. Never the less, it's an awesome dayhiking pack with a little room to spare and when you take out the framesheet you can ball it up to about the size of a softball.

Roland
07-17-2008, 15:58
~

I would like to find one that can handle 2 or 3 days of items & food and also allow for a small one person tent and summer sleeping bag. And have a good belt and shoulder strap support.

What would you recommend for this?

Bob,

Given that you want a soft-pack with a sturdy waist-belt, you can probably eliminate all frameless rucksacks from your search. I say this because in order for a waist-belt to distribute weight to your hips effectively, the pack must have some structure/rigidity.

A pack with a lightweight framesheet, like the GG Vapor Trail, would seem to suit you well. It has a nice belt, and a framesheet that although is not as rigid as you are accustomed, would provide some support. Just be careful not to overload the pack. Many users say that 25 lbs, or under, is ideal.

Good luck in your search.

highway
07-17-2008, 18:13
Moonbow Gearskin.

Mine weighs less than 1 1/2 pounds

I use the multiple bag system with it, all my stuff stuffed into 4-5 separate silnylon bags and those compressed into the gearskin. It is reasonably priced and custom fit to your body. You can wad it up and carry it in your pocket if you wish.

Auntie Mame
07-17-2008, 19:48
I'm not a Northface fan at all, but their light pack, Skareb 55 is a good small internal frame pack for the sort of thing you are asking about. In the fall they go on sale and are a pretty good deal. I had one for a year thinking it was too small, but its a great day pack for the mountains. It could hold a kit for overnight, not a lot of food, though.

taildragger
07-17-2008, 19:52
rei 45L should work, and somewhat inexpensive when compared to the others listed.

The jet could work well as well, but it might be less padding than you want.