PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in late august, where to go...

taildragger
07-17-2008, 21:33
Late this august I should have a couple of days free to do some hiking and I was thinking about going for a 2-3 day solo jaunt in either of these places

1) Lost River Range Idaho
2) Wind River Range
3) Somewhere in the Denver area

Given the time of year, what would be a good choice?

Also, are there any special requirements or considerations to hike in any of these places (i.e. bear can, mosquitoes, too much water, too little water).

Right now I'm just looking at possibilities and books over them.

Sly
07-18-2008, 00:08
The Wind River Range is just awesome. You may have to deal with a few storms, so prepared to get wet, but even then it's well worth it.

taildragger
07-18-2008, 00:11
The Wind River Range is just awesome. You may have to deal with a few storms, so prepared to get wet, but even then it's well worth it.

Will they be the short torrential downfall storms (i.e. would I be fine with a tarp (I have some use but I am no expert with the thing), or should I bring a my tarptent and maybe some rain pants)?

Sly
07-18-2008, 11:38
Typical afternoon thunder storms, it's up to you whether you want to carry the little extra weight of a tarptent opposed to just a tarp. You may want rain pants, I found them useful.

I don't have my maps with me but there's a two set pack that covers the entire Winds. I suggest starting at Union Pass outside of Dubois and hiking to South Pass or Atlantic City following the high route which includes part of the official CDT and some alternates over Ice Cube Pass and Texas Pass near the Cirque of Towers.

I'll be home in another week and will post further details. In the meantime, if Mags sees the thread he may have more info onhand.