PDA

View Full Version : shelter questions

Wags
07-17-2008, 23:36
so here's the idea i'm kicking around in my head.

tent GA - pine grove, get off trail for 1 or 2 weeks for my gf's graduation, hammock the rest of the way

figure this will be a good way to stay warm when it's cold and stay cool when it's warm. plus the changeup of shelter systems may be a good way to break up some monotony

doable?
recommend?

Blissful
07-18-2008, 22:17
You may be cold and swinging in the wind in the Whites. I'd take a tent from Glencliff on due to unpredictable weather, personally. But then again, I don't hammock, so to each his own. :)

rafe
07-18-2008, 23:02
so here's the idea i'm kicking around in my head.

tent GA - pine grove, get off trail for 1 or 2 weeks for my gf's graduation, hammock the rest of the way

I'd think of a typical (nobo) thru more in terms of quarters. The first and last quarter will have cold weather. The middle half (the 2nd and 3rd quarters) will be warm. Typically folks speak of picking up their heavier sleeping bags just before they get to the Whites.

Wags
07-19-2008, 01:09
ok. so do you think this is a good idea? hang when it's warm, tent when it's cool?

Blissful
07-19-2008, 21:19
ok. so do you think this is a good idea? hang when it's warm, tent when it's cool?

Sure why not! :)

Wags
07-19-2008, 23:48
i'm really thinking this is the way for me to go. now i gotta get over to hammock forums and find someone local to let me try a few out

Wags
07-19-2008, 23:49
and thanks for the heads up about coldness up north. hard for me to think about being cold in july living in pa :D

Kerosene
07-20-2008, 12:02
Depending on the weight of your tent, you might also want to consider a tarp (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/jacks_r_better_square_silnyl_tarp_spotlite_review. html) with an ultralight bivy sack (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/ssn/GearDB/pc/Shelters/Bivy%20Sacks/index.html) (for weather protection and a touch of warmth) before and after bug season.

Wags
07-20-2008, 12:43
i gave some thought about the bug bivy/tarp idea, but *** to do if it's all day/night rainy and the bugs are out. there's not much room to move around in those things. wouldn't be so bad when hiking, but chilling in camp would be such a drag.

Blissful
07-20-2008, 16:44
I would not hang in MA without good netting like the henessy has. The travel hammock my hubby uses has no netting. Mosquitoes are fierce.

Blissful
07-20-2008, 16:47
and thanks for the heads up about coldness up north. hard for me to think about being cold in july living in pa :D

This past Tuesday in West VA (July 15) it was 38 degrees at night in the Dolly Sods. And we were only at 4200 ft. Needless to say, I was cold in my Marmot pounder. Glad I had my silk liner, but it finally bit the dust after the hike last year. Ripped it to shreds. Came home and threw it out.