PDA

View Full Version : How To Journal

Monkeywrench
07-18-2008, 08:13
Since there is now a thread going on about whether and why one might / might not want to keep a journal, I thought it would be interesting to also discuss how folks have and plan to journal. I love the TrailJournals website, but it seems cumbersome to me (never having done it) that one has to either get full-blown 'net access to update one's own journal, or have a transcriber handle the chore for you.

Without having put much thought into it, I think if I decide to keep a journal I would probably use the same set-up I use when bicycle touring -- a folding bluetooth keyboard paired with my Treo cell phone to write emails which are then sent to my blog address and automatically updates my blog. Family and friends can subscribe to the blog and be notified whenever it is updated.

This might not be quite as public as a TJ since while blogs are certainly public in the sense of being out there on the 'net available for anyone to see, few people are going to stumble upon it unless they have some connection to me. This could be either a good or a bad thing, depending on your point of view.

I am thinking about this as I write, and it occurs to me that my method does nothing for dealing with the photos I will hopefully be taking. I haven't even started to think about this yet.

So I'm curious what options others have used and are considering using, and the reasons for those choices.

Heater
07-18-2008, 08:23
Since there is now a thread going on about whether and why one might / might not want to keep a journal, I thought it would be interesting to also discuss how folks have and plan to journal. I love the TrailJournals website, but it seems cumbersome to me (never having done it) that one has to either get full-blown 'net access to update one's own journal, or have a transcriber handle the chore for you.

Without having put much thought into it, I think if I decide to keep a journal I would probably use the same set-up I use when bicycle touring -- a folding bluetooth keyboard paired with my Treo cell phone to write emails which are then sent to my blog address and automatically updates my blog. Family and friends can subscribe to the blog and be notified whenever it is updated.

This might not be quite as public as a TJ since while blogs are certainly public in the sense of being out there on the 'net available for anyone to see, few people are going to stumble upon it unless they have some connection to me. This could be either a good or a bad thing, depending on your point of view.

I am thinking about this as I write, and it occurs to me that my method does nothing for dealing with the photos I will hopefully be taking. I haven't even started to think about this yet.

So I'm curious what options others have used and are considering using, and the reasons for those choices.

You can update you "trailjournal" journal with a Treo. Upload and stitches did their whole hike with a Treo.

MOWGLI
07-18-2008, 08:34

Old school. Paper and pen. Send to transcriber or do it myself after the hike. I also don't post everything that happens on the trail. Notice some of the drama that gets inspired by some of the journals these days.

Monkeywrench
07-18-2008, 08:35
You can update you "trailjournal" journal with a Treo. Upload and stitches did their whole hike with a Treo.

But only when you actually have 'net access, correct?

I can use the email application on my Treo to write journal entries whether I have 'net access or not at the time, they'll stack up in the Outbox and I can send them to my blog at whatever place and time I get a signal and can connect.

MOWGLI
07-18-2008, 08:39

I can use the email application on my Treo to write journal entries whether I have 'net access or not at the time, they'll stack up in the Outbox and I can send them to my blog at whatever place and time I get a signal and can connect.

You're a few years older than me, so you should understand what I'm going to say. In my personal opinion, the use of electronics detracts from the hike. Not only do you have to worry about sensitive electronic equipment getting wet. Just the act of typing and interacting with an electronic device detracts for me. Now, I don't expect the early 20-something crowd to feel this way, because they've grown up with 'puters their whole life. But you and I know what it was like before computers, and how they have changed our daily routine. And not always for the better.

There is something to be said for setting aside that stuff and reconnecting with things in a simpler way. YMMV.

Hammock Hanger
07-18-2008, 08:46
When I did mine I typed in a pocketmail every evening, when I felt like it. Then I had a transcriber who would cut and paste my journal to the web. I would send a disc of my photos (that I would make at a store in town) to my photo journalists and she would load those to the web.

Every year new gagets come about that can make the journaling easier. I was the transcriber for Stumpknocker while he and Mrs. Gorp were cycling. He text's his notes on his phone. When he is long winded he has to break it into more then one text. He no longer carries a seperate camera. He just uses his phone camera and sends them that way. It is quite easy and efficient.

I am not sure how I will journal on my next trip. Most likely it will be via a phone. I may give up the public online journal and just do a weekly Gcast. I will still keep my private journal, which I will have to type into my phone and save someway as there is no way I can write at the end of the day. I tried that in 2001 and my notes were unreadable.

Monkeywrench
07-18-2008, 08:48
You're a few years older than me, so you should understand what I'm going to say. In my personal opinion, the use of electronics detracts from the hike. Not only do you have to worry about sensitive electronic equipment getting wet. Just the act of typing and interacting with an electronic device detracts for me. Now, I don't expect the early 20-something crowd to feel this way, because they've grown up with 'puters their whole life. But you and I know what it was like before computers, and how they have changed our daily routine. And not always for the better.

There is something to be said for setting aside that stuff and reconnecting with things in a simpler way. YMMV.

I agree with you, Mowgli. If I were a single guy with no close attachments I would probably leave all that stuff home and keep a paper journal for myself. But I have a wife who wants as much contact as possible. I also have a daughter who is off on her own but likes to keep track of what her old man is doing. So I'm going to be carrying the phone anyway and I find email is often the best way to keep in touch because it is asynchronous so I don't have to worry about calling my wife while she is at work and meeting with a client or anything like that.

MOWGLI
07-18-2008, 08:50
I'm not talking about phone calls. I'm talking about using a Crackberry to journal. Big difference.

But I see your application. Just adding my perspective. Have a great hike.

Hammock Hanger
07-18-2008, 08:54

Ah my dear "young" friend. Somehow I am able to connect just fine to my natural settings and using an electronic device for a hour a day does not distract from that. I don't call people all day long on my phone nor do I stop and type all day long. I am able to limited it to about an hour in the evening.

Now I know that some folks have a laptop attached to the end of their arm (no names) and perhaps that person really needs a computer break...:D And there is nothing wrong with that.

It is ALL personal wants and needs. Ever hear the old saying, hike your own hike?? Oh yeah, that's hike your own hike my way... Mowgli's way is barefoot!

MOWGLI
07-18-2008, 08:55
A

Now I know that some folks have a laptop attached to the end of their arm (no names) and perhaps that person really needs a computer break...:D And there is nothing wrong with that.

Guilty as charged. :o

Hammock Hanger
07-18-2008, 08:59
Old school. Paper and pen. Send to transcriber or do it myself after the hike. I also don't post everything that happens on the trail. Notice some of the drama that gets inspired by some of the journals these days.

Can't read my own handwriting. Yes, I agree that you should becareful what you write. Keep it about you and not others. Remember that a lot of what happens on the trail stays on the trail. ;)

Hammock Hanger
07-18-2008, 09:00
Guilty as charged. :o

I know, he he...:D But I didn't out ya!

Heater
07-18-2008, 09:00

IIRC... They used Verizon and got a signal most everywhere until They got to ME. They updated pretty regularly until Maine. Most any Phone will have problems there from what I hear.

BTW... I think that's how he got his trailname of "upload"

Hammock Hanger
07-18-2008, 09:04
IIRC... They used Verizon and got a signal most everywhere until They got to ME. They updated pretty regularly until Maine. Most any Phone will have problems there from what I hear.

My friend the 'knocker uses Verisone and there have been a few spots where he could not get a data signal. Usually only lasted a day or so. I am sure Maine will not be a "hot' SPOT.

Mags
07-18-2008, 09:30
I have no affiliation with the site, but postholer.com is worth checking out. Many people love their features for journaling. Seems to be easier than Trailjournals.com

Finally, I would say it is not electronics per se that change a hike...it is how they are used that can change a hike. Using them for journaling only? Not very different from pen and paper IMO. Using them to stay connected? For better or worse, it does change how the journey is experienced.

I started a thread about this trend earlier. The Culture of Connectivity.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36520&highlight=culture+connectivity

MOWGLI
07-18-2008, 09:33
I have no affiliation with the site, but postholer.com is worth checking out. Many people love their features for journaling. Seems to be easier than Trailjournals.com

I have a JMT journal there. I agree. It is easier than TJ - where I have several journals.

johnny quest
07-18-2008, 09:41
For better or worse, it does change how the journey is experienced.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36520&highlight=culture+connectivity

interesting comments, mags. you might weigh in over at the other thread that started this one. your pov would add to the discussion.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39291

Monkeywrench
07-18-2008, 10:13
I appreciate all these comments, but there is another thread focused on whether to journal or not. I was hoping this thread would focus on the various methods folks have used to journal.

Roots
07-18-2008, 10:24
I use paper and pencil and then type a journal entry each day when I get home until they are all entered. When I did Springer to Newfound Gap this year, I would send my journals home every 4 days, from a town, and my husband and daughter would enter them for me on my trailjournal. It works pretty good. My journals might be a week or so behind, but most people following them didn't mind.

Hammock Hanger
07-18-2008, 10:28
I appreciate all these comments, but there is another thread focused on whether to journal or not. I was hoping this thread would focus on the various methods folks have used to journal.

pen and paper
pocketmail
in town computer
cell phone / pda
email

with a transcriber or self done

Hammock Hanger
07-18-2008, 10:29
I use paper and pencil and then type a journal entry each day when I get home until they are all entered. When I did Springer to Newfound Gap this year, I would send my journals home every 4 days, from a town, and my husband and daughter would enter them for me on my trailjournal. It works pretty good. My journals might be a week or so behind, but most people following them didn't mind.

Sometimes having a little Jet lag on your journal is a good safety net.

johnny quest
07-18-2008, 10:37
Sometimes having a little Jet lag on your journal is a good safety net.

outstanding point. especially for me. not everything thought need be said. not everything said need be written down and put out to the world.