PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know "Cubby 08"

quasarr
07-18-2008, 11:54
He's going SOBO, I think he's in Vermont or NH by now. He carves his name into every single shelter in HUGE letters. Must be a complete toolbag to do that.

Anybody seen him or his graffiti?

notorius tic
07-18-2008, 12:03
Some will stop him before to long..

D-wreck
07-18-2008, 12:18
Someone better stop Cubby before Bootstrap catches up, I hear he's "cleaning off the backside of his dull ax"...:banana

Lone Wolf
07-18-2008, 12:19
He's going SOBO, I think he's in Vermont or NH by now. He carves his name into every single shelter in HUGE letters. Must be a complete toolbag to do that.

Anybody seen him or his graffiti?

this him? http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=243762

Stormennorm
07-18-2008, 12:23
Met him on my thru this year at the cabin in Andover maine claims he is an eagle scout and going SOBO all the way. We saw his name in almost every shelter after that. We told a bunch of SOBO's if they see him to slap him around.

Tabasco
07-18-2008, 12:24
Release the hounds

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=243762

quasarr
07-18-2008, 12:25
I don't think we'll catch him, he's way ahead of us. maybe some other SOBOs will get him. :-?

Appalachian Tater
07-18-2008, 13:18
Maybe he's working on his Merit Badge in wood carving.

sofaking
07-26-2008, 12:19
if he's a redhead, i saw him heading into bennington vt two days ago...and he did have a 'hugantic' sheath knife on his belt...

sbennett
07-26-2008, 12:25
Has anyone actually tried to read his journal? Please tell me you're as horrified with his spelling as I am.

minnesotasmith
07-26-2008, 12:43
Met him on my thru this year at the cabin in Andover maine claims he is an eagle scout and going SOBO all the way. We saw his name in almost every shelter after that. We told a bunch of SOBO's if they see him to slap him around.

I went all the way through Cubs, Webelos, and Boy Scouts, and would never have considered vandalizing shelters like this. Odds are IMO he's falsely claiming being an Eagle, even a former Scout, the way the vast majority of homeless bums who claim to be mil combat vets never were in the service at all.

Tabasco
07-26-2008, 14:13
Agreed MS. 100% , no self respecting Boy Scout, much less an Eagle Scout, would dream of vandalizing the trail like this.

Jeff
07-26-2008, 14:35
Cubby was in Manchester Ctr on July 21st. He stayed with us. Wears a Philmont tee shirt. Seems to be a nice guy, but it sounds like he needs a little talking to.

Here is a photo him. He is second from left:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=365550

sofaking
07-26-2008, 16:57
yeah, that's the same guy in saw outside of bennington the other day...

Nearly Normal
07-26-2008, 19:02
The school system he attended actually grauated the boy?

Kirby
07-26-2008, 20:02
I saw his name in a lot of shelters in Maine.

Kirby

Nearly Normal
07-26-2008, 20:24
The school system he attended actually grauated the boy?
My school actually graduated me!

snapshot
08-03-2008, 21:34
For fun, Southbounders have been taking about changing "Cubby" to "Oobby." It just takes carving a line on the C and the U.

wrongway_08
08-03-2008, 23:32
what a shame, would've take'n his knife and carved out his teeth if I would've known this when I saw him a few weeks ago.
Oh well, someone will get him.

Bearpaw
08-03-2008, 23:45
Sounds even worse than Hempy who sharpied his name in all the southern shelters up to Damascus, and even scratched his name into the rocks on top of Rocky Top/Thunderhead in the Smokies. The trail grapevine was that he got an attitude adjustment in Damascus.

think0075
08-04-2008, 11:43
i have met cubby and hes a nice kid. all you people worried about him putting his name in a shelter need to get a life. if your so worried about nature being nature there shouldnt be shelters in the first place. and he isnt writing anything profane or illicit, merely his name and year. just worry about what you do and shut up.
casey jones mega 08

Bearpaw
08-04-2008, 11:48
i have met cubby and hes a nice kid. all you people worried about him putting his name in a shelter need to get a life. if your so worried about nature being nature there shouldnt be shelters in the first place. and he isnt writing anything profane or illicit, merely his name and year. just worry about what you do and shut up.
casey jones mega 08

Lighten up Cubby.

Moe
08-06-2008, 16:49
There are already a few SOBO search parties out for him.

dragonfeet
08-07-2008, 00:07
Yeah I have seen some of his work. He carved his name int a shelter in Maine. This guys carving was about 2 1/2 feet long and about 5 inches wide. In a shelter what was pretty much void of any other graffiti. A little I wuz here dosen't bother me but this guy made a freaking banner. He might be a nice kid I don't know but even the people who busted their hump building the shelter didn't feel the need to carve their names into it. This guy hadn't even made it through the 100 mile yet.

Undershaft
08-07-2008, 00:31
casey jones mega 08

Being a "nice kid" does not give one the right to vandalize public property. Cubby sounds like an immature Wanker who could use a good smack upside the head. I hope he gets his ass kicked, or better yet, gets off the trail. Carving your name into anything along the trail is an unacceptable behavior that should be punished.

mweinstone
08-07-2008, 06:27
im vandelizin somthing. ummmm.........im gonna cut off lonewolfs beard while he sleeps. ill have gypsy make him some strong cammimile tea. hell sleep like a baby. then ill hold his beard for ransom. keeping it alive in rutone cloneing mixture from the garden center.

i want to be an arsonist and set fire to things.

Lone Wolf
08-07-2008, 06:32
im vandelizin somthing. ummmm.........im gonna cut off lonewolfs beard while he sleeps. ill have gypsy make him some strong cammimile tea. hell sleep like a baby. then ill hold his beard for ransom. keeping it alive in rutone cloneing mixture from the garden center.

i want to be an arsonist and set fire to things.

that would be mutilation and damaging. now coloring it pink would be vandalism. looks bad but doesn't really hurt anything.

start with burning shelters :)

Lone Wolf
08-07-2008, 06:36
oddly, cubby scratching his name in a wooden box that's filthy and vermin-ridden doesn't seem to bother me. wonder why that is :-?

mweinstone
08-07-2008, 06:43
cause your a fellow vermin ridden object and you can relate? sometimes lwolf gets lonly and sniffs my mittens i left in his house. he imagines me and him and gypsy holding hands danceing ontop of big bald with flowers in our hair singing george harrison songs of harri chrishna.

Odd Thomas
08-07-2008, 07:00

We know why they think they have a reason to stick their nose into his business... what makes you stick your own nose into what business others are sticking their nose into? :p

MYOB falls on deaf ears when we're talking about someone doing something in public, specifically for the purpose of getting attention. That's not someone wanting their business private.

Odd Thomas
08-07-2008, 07:05
cause your a fellow vermin ridden object and you can relate? sometimes lwolf gets lonly and sniffs my mittens i left in his house. he imagines me and him and gypsy holding hands danceing ontop of big bald with flowers in our hair singing george harrison songs of harri chrishna.

No mitten no love! :eek:

Lone Wolf
08-07-2008, 07:10
No mitten no love! :eek:

Marley's song No Woman No Cry comes to mind.

minnesotasmith
08-07-2008, 13:27
casey jones mega 08

He needs to cut out his vandalism, and make restitution. You need to stop defending someone damaging property not their own for no good reason, e.g, the indefensible.

Analogman
08-07-2008, 13:36
Has anyone actually tried to read his journal? Please tell me you're as horrified with his spelling as I am.

Yes, and he did not strike me as the most literate individual on the planet.

Lone Wolf
08-07-2008, 13:38
no different than most college graduates these days

sofaking
08-07-2008, 19:01
i fart in every shelter i stay in...is that considered vandalism?

Odd Thomas
08-08-2008, 14:31
i fart in every shelter i stay in...is that considered vandalism?

Can you write your name with it?

warraghiyagey
08-08-2008, 17:08
casey jones mega 08

Huge block letters carved in every lean-to on the Maine AT. Even in ones that were devoid of any other graffiti. Repugnant at the very least. Little brat needs to ditch his thru for a few weeks and go back and do a little work on the trail, for a little broader perspective.

Lighten up Cubby.

Well played BP. Well played.;)

notorius tic
08-08-2008, 17:30
I guess this can carve but does not no how to write because there is a journal there an usally a pen or pencil?

wrongway_08
08-08-2008, 17:54
someone will catch up to him and I hope they knock his teeth out with a nice heavy round rock.
Wish I would have known this when I ran into him.... he wouldnt be able to walk the trail anymore.

warraghiyagey
08-08-2008, 18:38
someone will catch up to him and I hope they knock his teeth out with a nice heavy round rock.
Wish I would have known this when I ran into him.... he wouldnt be able to walk the trail anymore.
That's much closer to what I wanted to say.;)

minnesotasmith
08-08-2008, 18:47

Sure, this punk sounds like an ignorant oxygen thief. But, I understand it's a violation of WB's TOS to even come close to threatening violence upon someone (other than in defense of self or another, say). It's also not wise legally; lawsuits have been won over less.

Why not instead contact every hostel and near-Trail ranger station still ahead for this clown with full info about him and his actions? Whether he's simply shunned, or pressed into mending his ways and making restitution, either way justice is (somewhat) served, at no risk to you or the site.

OregonHiker
08-08-2008, 18:51
Sure, this punk sounds like an ignorant oxygen thief. But, I understand it's a violation of WB's TOS to even come close to threatening violence upon someone (other than in defense of self or another, say). It's also not wise legally; lawsuits have been won over less.

Why not instead contact every hostel and near-Trail ranger station still ahead for this clown with full info about him and his actions? Whether he's simply shunned, or pressed into mending his ways and making restitution, either way justice is (somewhat) served, at no risk to you or the site.

That sounds downright constructive:o

vonfrick
08-08-2008, 18:55

great idea. maybe we should also mention the 17 year old we met who eats other peoples' food out of the hostel frig late at night? :mad:

minnesotasmith
08-08-2008, 19:04
great idea. maybe we should also mention the 17 year old we met who eats other peoples' food out of the hostel frig late at night? :mad:

There's a traditional response to that wrongdoing I'll bet he runs afoul of eventually:

http://econo-girl.blogspot.com/2006/03/intolerance-of-intolerance.html

You want to read the top comment, posted @ 4:26 P.M. by The Lazy Iguana. It's got a nice twist to it... :eek::D

think0075
09-29-2008, 11:23
the fact that anyone on this site would wish for someone to get off the trail or to beaten to the point where they would need to get off the trail is absolutely disgusting you people make me sick. i dont like people sure but i hope they finish the trail, and i would never want to be the reason some got off. you people are sick

wrongway_08
09-29-2008, 15:22
the fact that anyone on this site would wish for someone to get off the trail or to beaten to the point where they would need to get off the trail is absolutely disgusting you people make me sick. i dont like people sure but i hope they finish the trail, and i would never want to be the reason some got off. you people are sick

Why is America so crimminal friendly? Because of people like this. Lets not hold people responsable for their actions, let him repeat the offense at every shelter..... maybe after his thru hike ends he will feel bad and repair it all.
The fact is, this idiot doesnt deserve to finish the trail if he doesnt respect it. He does deserve a big beating and to get off the trail.

I guess if someone was scratching cuss words into your car, you wouldnt stop him untill he was done - because he was not done his "art work" on your car ????? I could hear it now:

THINK - "hey man, dont strach cuss words in my car"
CRIMMINAL - "Dude, just need about 2 more hours or my journey into vandalism will not be complete"
THINK - "Thats cool, wouldnt want you to miss the meaning of your vandilism"
CRIMMINAL - "Thanks man, most people wouldve smashed my head in with a bat, hey, could you get me a Pepsi, I am thirsty and wont be able to fully enjoy the journey while I'm thirsty"
THINK - "You bet! I want your best vandilism on my car, your not going to fix it and it'll take a while for my insurance to pay for it, so I want your best work while I'm driving around untill it gets fixed."
CRIMMINAL - "Man you are awesome!"

KG4FAM
09-29-2008, 15:39
He vandalized the vast majority of the shelters in Maine, not just one or two. This isn't the same as disturbing someone by keeping people up at night or waking folks up at four in the morning or other rude behavior that will work itself out, he is being destructive and is no different than folks that scatter trash on the trail near 19E.

vonfrick
09-29-2008, 23:23

thanks!! :sun

Jeff
08-16-2009, 18:49
I was hiking in June 09 in NH and saw "Cubby" etched into several shelter logs. How far south did he mark up shelters??

Wonder if he found the attention he was looking for?