PDA

View Full Version : Green Trail Maps, holder?

wilconow
07-18-2008, 12:02
I just received the set of 4 maps for my hike in the Lake Chelan / Sawtooth Wilderness in Washington

They're 12x18. Not quite what I'm used to.. just sheets of paper. the detail seems good.. was able to track the loop I'm doing and am stoked

It would be nice to have a foldout water-resistant type thing, but I guess that is what comes with leaving the comforts of eastern hiking

Anyway I see green trails offers this. Anyone use it? seems like it'll do the trick, but since they seem to be popular maps out there, I was curious if anyone has experience with it

Product Code: SACK
Protect your maps and documents in our battle tested 13x 19 Inch crystal clear, waterproof, light, rollable, foldable, vinyl zip-lock Map Sack.

http://www.greentrailsmaps.com

rasudduth
07-18-2008, 13:04
I do not have personal experience with the map sack. From what I see people use in the PNW when I go hiking is to use a freezer ziplock back then fold the map to show the section you are hiking for the day/trip. You can use the gallon or the quart depending on your tolerance for allowing your map to be folded.

Depending on the time of year that you are hiking, the Eastern side of the Cascade mountains stay dry and hot with almost no rain for most of the year. That is where we go when we get tired of hiking in the rain.

:)

wilconow
07-18-2008, 13:07
Thanks. We're starting a week loop Aug 20th

Berserker
07-18-2008, 13:37
I do not have personal experience with the map sack. From what I see people use in the PNW when I go hiking is to use a freezer ziplock back then fold the map to show the section you are hiking for the day/trip. You can use the gallon or the quart depending on your tolerance for allowing your map to be folded.

Depending on the time of year that you are hiking, the Eastern side of the Cascade mountains stay dry and hot with almost no rain for most of the year. That is where we go when we get tired of hiking in the rain.

:)

Yeah, I agree with what rasudduth recommended. A Ziploc bag seems much easier and cheaper.

I bought some 7.5 quads for a hike I did in southern Utah a few years back (not on waterproof paper) and I tried waterproofing them with Aquaseal. that stuff works ok, but I doubt I'll use it again.

Another option is to get a custom map printed at mytopo.com. I used this service once, and was very pleased. It is a little pricey though. I had a huge map printed out on waterproof paper, and it was $30. It was worth it though cause it rained during that trip (Sierras).

wilconow
07-18-2008, 13:49
Thanks.. I played around with that site, looks pretty cool.

Kind of difficult to tell, but it seems to have the trails listed there. Did you find that they list all the trails you wanted????

take-a-knee
07-18-2008, 14:09
I like those gal zipper ziplocs for a map case, carry extra though, they get worn fast, you can recycle them as trash bags.

LIhikers
07-19-2008, 19:06
Here on Long Island the maps of the local trails come on a plain type paper. My wife covered them, on both sides, with a clear plastic shelf covering material that has a glue on the back. You peel the backing off the plastic and stick it to the map and once it's pressed down real well the glue isn't even visible, so the map is easy to see. Just extend the plastic past the edge of the map about 1/4 inch and stick it to the plastic from the other side. That way even the edges of the map are protected.
Hope that helps