PDA

View Full Version : Do I need rain pants, long-sleeved shirt and visor?

rubyvermonter
07-18-2008, 12:32
I'm leaving for a section hike from Port Clinton, PA to Harper's Ferry in early August. I'm trying to lighten my pack load and looking for suggestions. I'm thinking of leaving out my rain pants, long-sleeved merino shirt and visor (use for sun and rain protection). I'm wearing hiking shorts and a light weight merino t-shirt and will bring a cotton t-shirt for sleeping/camp, light-weight hiking pants, light-weight wind jacket and Marmot rain jacket. What do you think?

Rubyvermonter

Wags
07-18-2008, 12:56
i'd definitely leave the rain pants. also either the wind jacket or the marmot rain jacket. they're kind of redundant in the summer imo.

i would take the long sleeved shirt just in case it gets unseasonably cool

while in port clinton check out ye olde backpacker. he's on this website and his shop is nice. he's very knowledgeable and a very nice guy - his name is scott

johnny quest
07-18-2008, 12:57
have you ever hiked in the rain and left the rain pants out? i have, thats why i have them but rarely take them...unless they are also part of my cold weather gear (outerlayer)
why do you need a wind AND a rain jacket?
why a cotton tshirt?

fiddlehead
07-18-2008, 13:00
I agree, I'd take the long sleeve shirt, leave one of the jackets behind.
And as for the visor, even though you'll be heading into the sun, you'll be in the trees most of the time. I wouldn't take it. (and rain pants can stay home too that time of year)

Have fun! That's a good section.

Jason of the Woods
07-18-2008, 14:20
All that I wear is a jacket and my kilt. I carry rain pants but never use them except for laundry day.

A-Train
07-18-2008, 14:27
I'm leaving for a section hike from Port Clinton, PA to Harper's Ferry in early August. I'm trying to lighten my pack load and looking for suggestions. I'm thinking of leaving out my rain pants, long-sleeved merino shirt and visor (use for sun and rain protection). I'm wearing hiking shorts and a light weight merino t-shirt and will bring a cotton t-shirt for sleeping/camp, light-weight hiking pants, light-weight wind jacket and Marmot rain jacket. What do you think?

Rubyvermonter

I'd leave the cotton sleep shirt and bring a long sleeve for sleep. Bring the rain jacket, leave the wind jacket and rain pants.

gravityman
07-18-2008, 14:30
i'd definitely leave the rain pants. also either the wind jacket or the marmot rain jacket. they're kind of redundant in the summer imo.

i would take the long sleeved shirt just in case it gets unseasonably cool

while in port clinton check out ye olde backpacker. he's on this website and his shop is nice. he's very knowledgeable and a very nice guy - his name is scott

Keep the rain jacket! Leave the wind jacket. My rain jacket was sent back to the manufacture for repair while I was in PA and thought that I would be fine with a wind jacket I had. Not so. It was real cold with a hard rain for a few days in June. I won't do that again. I take my rain jacket with me on EVERY hike!

Gravity

take-a-knee
07-18-2008, 15:27
Keep the rain jacket! Leave the wind jacket. My rain jacket was sent back to the manufacture for repair while I was in PA and thought that I would be fine with a wind jacket I had. Not so. It was real cold with a hard rain for a few days in June. I won't do that again. I take my rain jacket with me on EVERY hike!

Gravity

Good advice most of the year, though it can get too hot for a rain jacket to be useful, then a poncho is more appropriate.

auburnbreeze
07-18-2008, 15:28
Unless you are prone to being cold, I would leave the rain pants!

Blissful
07-18-2008, 17:20
No rain pants but I would definiitely take a long sleeve shirt and a light microfleece pullover of some kind and a fleece hat (which I carried for the entire hike), but that is me. PA is not the south, esp since you are in the northern section. A pair of convertible pants would do for both hiking pants and shorts so you can eliminate carrying both.

Chaco Taco
07-18-2008, 18:02
Leave the rain gear at home. Its too hot for it and you will get soaked even when you have it on. If you wanna stay outta the rain, just go for a cheap poncho. I have rain gear and I NEVER use it because of the heat. August will be really hot in that area.

10-K
07-24-2008, 16:59
Leave the rain gear at home. Its too hot for it and you will get soaked even when you have it on. If you wanna stay outta the rain, just go for a cheap poncho. I have rain gear and I NEVER use it because of the heat. August will be really hot in that area.

Agree. I wear swim trunks and Nike/Armorall synthetic t-shirts when I hike in warm weather.