PDA

View Full Version : "Zoids"?

Elger
07-18-2008, 12:33
Is the MSR Zoid the same tent as the Microzoid? And what is the Zoid 1.5 that I have seen referred to? Are these all the same tent? I have cruised the net and can't seem to find a difference.:confused:

Lilred
07-18-2008, 12:48
The Zoids are from MSR. The Microzoid is the one man tent. The 1.5 was a little larger, but they don't make it anymore. Good tents, I had the 1.5 but traded it for a painting of Hump mtn. It's in my gallery if anyone wants to see it, the painting that is. I thought it was a good trade.

Christus Cowboy
07-18-2008, 13:19
The MSR Zoid and MSR MicroZoid are two different type of tents. Both are good tents made for 1 person though the MicroZoid has less head room but are a little lighter. If you are taller or heavier framed hiker you may want to go with the MSR Zoid as some hikers fitting this profile have reported that the MicroZoid is cramped for larger hikers.... You can find good product reviews on both of these tents on www.trailspace.com (http://www.trailspace.com) and www.epinions.com (http://www.epinions.com). Personally I picked up an MSR Zoid because I was able to get a good deal on it from the clearance rack and it only weighs 2lbs. 14 oz. which was quite a bit lighter than the Kelty tent that I was carrying.

Red Hat
07-18-2008, 17:34
The zoids were originally made by Walrus Tents which went out of business back in 2003. Their tent designs were bought out by MSR. The microzoid was the smallest, then the zoid1, then the zoid 1.5. I own the zoid 1 by Walrus. Weighs in at 3 lbs with the rainfly, poles, and stakes.

Elger
07-18-2008, 21:15
Thank you. Micro is a bit small I see.

Gaiter
07-28-2008, 10:43
The Zoids are from MSR. The Microzoid is the one man tent. The 1.5 was a little larger, but they don't make it anymore. Good tents, I had the 1.5 but traded it for a painting of Hump mtn. It's in my gallery if anyone wants to see it, the painting that is. I thought it was a good trade.

hey u need to advertise this trade a little better... www.mcguganart.com
support my future hikes and gear trades!!! lol

the 1.5 is great, little on the heavy side (it was made in the 90's) but i love the room in it and havne't had any problems, last fall i hiked w/ just the ground cloth and rainfly and the poles

Wise Old Owl
07-29-2008, 15:25
Thank you. Micro is a bit small I see.

Elger the whole purpose of the zoid is to offer something a little better than the chicken oven basting bags called Bivy's. They breath better and will keep you dry. Great for bugs so long as you don't swat at them. But long term you cannot sit up in them. They fall between bivy's & tents for weight, & packing reasons. I slepted in one, I sold it off for a single one I can sit up in, so I can wait out a storm. I went with a Granite Gear single that was a few more ounces. I suggest you go down to a good store and ask to set up one so you can try it out.

Yes you guessed, I don't like bivy's.... the Zoid is ok.

HikeLite
07-31-2008, 21:44
I had a zoid one time and couldn't sit down for a week...

Summit
07-31-2008, 21:52
I had a zoid one time and couldn't sit down for a week...That would be a 'roid' . . . an altogether different matter! :D

Wise Old Owl
07-31-2008, 23:33
Now Summit, let us not be unpolite, we are all christians here, (I hope)

hootyhoo
08-05-2008, 20:13
San Fransisco speed bumps.