PDA

View Full Version : Rocks in Pennsylvania?

Kneegrinder
07-18-2008, 13:47
I've read a lot about rocks being an issue in Pennsylvania but there seem to be lots of rocks everywhere else I've been north and south of PA. Most recently I went across Maryland and there was a one mile stretch in the middle that was all rocks (no dirt). Is that what people are talking about? Can anyone describe these Pennsylvania rocks? Photos? How long do they go for?
Kneegrinder

Footslogger
07-18-2008, 14:15
Southern PA isn't that rocky. Port Clinton north is where you run into them. Main difference between the "PA Rocks" and rocks anywhere else is how close they are to each other and the fact that there are areas where they are sharp and seem to be standing on end. All I know is that I started PA with a pretty decent set of shoes and by the time I left PA the soles were about shot.

'Slogger

RockyBob
07-18-2008, 14:18
Southern PA isn't that rocky. Port Clinton north is where you run into them. Main difference between the "PA Rocks" and rocks anywhere else is how close they are to each other and the fact that there are areas where they are sharp and seem to be standing on end. All I know is that I started PA with a pretty decent set of shoes and by the time I left PA the soles were about shot.

'Slogger

It is the place where boots go to die

MOWGLI
07-18-2008, 14:19
You've got about 200 miles of rocks. They don't stop at the PA/NJ border. There are plenty of rocks along Kittatinny Ridge in NJ.

Sly
07-18-2008, 14:25
Funny thing about hiking trails... most have rocks.

Yahtzee
07-18-2008, 15:33
I think Pa gets a worse rep than is necessary because the worst of the rocks are the last 30 miles. Most hikers take a day in DWG and naturally reflect on finishing Pa. What most hikers remember is the last 30 ankle and feet crushing miles. But in fact, from the Md/Pa border to Swatara Gap is absolutely prime hiking terrain. The rocks get more pronounced after Swatara Gap, but the number of rocks that actually impede your rhythm are few and far between. It's that last 30 that is uncomfortably rocky.

Pedaling Fool
07-18-2008, 16:04
Funny thing about hiking trails... most have rocks.
Yeah, too much is said about Penn. on this subject. SW Virginia sucks, if you hate rocks:sun

rafe
07-18-2008, 16:55
You've got about 200 miles of rocks. They don't stop at the PA/NJ border. There are plenty of rocks along Kittatinny Ridge in NJ.

I walked south starting at Lehigh Gap last summer, and when I crossed into Maryland, I wondered when the rocks would end. I got as far as Catawba (VA) a few weeks later. The rocks never did end.... :rolleyes:

Blissful
07-18-2008, 17:09
The worst sections are by Allentown shelter and a stretch in the last 20 miles. But for me, they got me ready for the ultimate rock scrambling up north. It's just that the PA rocks are smaller with pointed edges.

Caveman of Ohio
07-18-2008, 17:20
If you go into it with a good attitude they are not that bad. On the otherhand if you complain about them everyday than your going to have a hard hike. I found if the rocks were beating me up I took a shorter day or spent a extra day in a town to rest. I really enjoyed the section in Pa because I was surroneded by good people and great trail towns.

Chaco Taco
07-18-2008, 17:59
The rocks start getting more in number around Pen Mar aprk. thats when the boulder fields really pick up. After Port Clinton it gets tedious because the rocks really wear down your feet. Towards the end of PA, just accept that at the end of teh day, you will be exhausted. In Jersey, it gets to be better but you have the strectches of long rocky sections. People said to me, "Oh its nothing you havent seen before." Thats BS! After 1100 mile sor so, it really beats up your feet. The climb up Lehigh Gap outta Palmerton is incredible. The rocks that hurt are the little jagged ones that jab your feet when crossing over them. Lotts shoes blew out after Palmerton. So I guess that raises another question, Shoes or boots for NE PA??

DavidNH
07-18-2008, 18:10
Everyone has rocks..but no one has rocks like Pennsylvania does. As mentioned previously, they get bad only after Port Clinton. And yes, PA is where old boots go to die. And oh those small cobbly angled pointy rocks that stand on end that those small trail clubs appear to have intentionally taken the trail over. Wouldn't be surprised that they sharpened them in their spare time either. New Jersey is especially sweet after Pennsyvania.

Quite simply, eastern PA just plain sucks! Get through it quick as you can!

DavidNH

modiyooch
07-18-2008, 18:22
IMO, I don't think that PA necessarily has the worse rocks, it's just that PA is 229 miles and after awhile you get fed up with the state and blame it on the rocks. I agree with another poster that each state has it's share of rocks.

I do remember the rocks at Lehigh, esp since it was raining.

fiddlehead
07-18-2008, 22:21
After growing up in the middle of those PA rocks, I like them! Yeah, it's a little different, you have to use your feet AND your head, especially when running on them (i jog up on the trail when i'm back home)

If you want to be an all around hiker, and be good at, it's best to learn how to rock hop.
Try going to the Himalayas and not step on any rocks!

Walkie Talkie
07-18-2008, 22:42
The rocks are heavy in the northern section of PA, but people complain about their biggest pain. Ever have shoulder pain and then you get a blister that make you forget about the shoulder. PA is flat flat flat. 3 or 4 mild climbs in the entire state. I remember rocks in the whites and never hear anyone mention it. I am partial to the state because I live here, but if 30 miles of rocks is your biggest pain out of 229 miles you must have few worries. What else negative could you say about the state? You don't like the Doyle or ridgewalking isn't your thing. Maybe you don't like the way you can get pizza delivered to penmar or 501 shelter. Is the burgers at Port Clinton too big and juicey or is the Palmerton Jail shower too much water pressure. I love hiking in PA with the pool at Caladonia and the great pizza shop at Boiling Springs who cares about some rocks.

Panzer1
07-18-2008, 22:55
Yea, at least PA is flat. Not so many ups and downs.

Panzer

Wise Old Owl
07-18-2008, 23:02
I do remember the rocks at Lehigh, esp since it was raining.

This is very true, If your boots are thin or lack support your feet will hate you.

rafe
07-18-2008, 23:05
Yea, at least PA is flat. Not so many ups and downs.

Yup. At least between DWG and Duncannon. Dead flat for 10-12 miles, then 700' down, 700' back up. Rinse and repeat...

fiddlehead
07-18-2008, 23:33
The rocks are heavy in the northern section of PA, but people complain about their biggest pain. Ever have shoulder pain and then you get a blister that make you forget about the shoulder..

My hiking buddy Pieps used to say: Tip for walking in pain: "Put a generous amount of cayenne pepper on your toilet paper in the morning"

trailangelmary
07-19-2008, 03:18
My hiking buddy Pieps used to say: Tip for walking in pain: "Put a generous amount of cayenne pepper on your toilet paper in the morning"
that is too funny! OMG!

trailangelmary
07-19-2008, 03:31
there are areas where they are sharp and seem to be standing on end.

And oh those small cobbly angled pointy rocks that stand on end

it's best to learn how to rock hop.

The rocks that hurt are the little jagged ones that jab your feet when crossing over them

It's just that the PA rocks are smaller with pointed edges.

While hiking to Hawk Rock with my grandson and Marco Solo a few weeks ago, Marco suggested when less than 50% dirt step on the rocks; when more than 50% dirt step on the dirt. No choice but to step on rocks here!

rafe
07-19-2008, 09:43
While hiking to Hawk Rock with my grandson and Marco Solo a few weeks ago, Marco suggested when less than 50% dirt step on the rocks; when more than 50% dirt step on the dirt. No choice but to step on rocks here!

I knew the location of the photo without the label. I'll bet a lot of WBers have a picture just like it. Just one of those classic "You're in Pennsylvania now" views. ;)

c.coyle
07-19-2008, 09:47
After growing up in the middle of those PA rocks, I like them! Yeah, it's a little different, you have to use your feet AND your head, especially when running on them (i jog up on the trail when i'm back home) . . .

That's been my experience. I grew up assuming all 2,167 miles were like the Port Clinton to Palmerton.

To paraphrase my junior high football coach, "Where are the rocks?"

http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-15473005.jpg?size=572&uid=%7B7CC0F97B-59A1-40B1-B53C-79AED31B9009%7D

modiyooch
07-19-2008, 11:14
I knew the location of the photo without the label. I'll bet a lot of WBers have a picture just like it. Just one of those classic "You're in Pennsylvania now" views. ;)
I recognize the location, too. It's just a short stretch. The photo just aout captures the extent of the rocks. How many miles north and south of that section until you hit rocks again?

What bothered my about PA is on some days, I think that I could have run the section, but other days I wouln't dare wear running shoes. There was no way of knowing. confession: I basically slackpacked through most of PA.

rafe
07-19-2008, 12:42
I recognize the location, too. It's just a short stretch. The photo just aout captures the extent of the rocks. How many miles north and south of that section until you hit rocks again?

What bothered my about PA is on some days, I think that I could have run the section, but other days I wouln't dare wear running shoes. There was no way of knowing. confession: I basically slackpacked through most of PA.

The rocky section in the photo is a bit isolated and not even that long. It's just south of Duncannon, almost in view of the town. But as I recall the really super-rocky sections came in patches and usually didn't run on for more than 1/2 mile or so. The section of "continuous rocks" (the small, sharp, pointy kind) is more like... oh, Rte. 501 to DWG or something like that. (But then you're back to gnarly patches of rocks on the Kittatinny Ridge in NJ.)

Mother's Finest
07-19-2008, 13:02
Hey Chaco,

you saw what I was wearing.....Running shoes for me everywhere in PA, except when it is icy or snow. then I wear boots.

glad you boys (and girls) are doing well.

peace
mf

Del Q
07-19-2008, 13:51
Well, I am from Pennsylvania and the REAL TRUTH is that we LOVE AT hikers and want them in our State for as long as possible. What I experienced is that they are just a lot closer together and sharper, which makes getting into a hiking "rhythm" seemingly impossible which wore me down mentally. I have saved the 36 miles from Lehigh Gap to DWG for a quick 3 day hike, so glad to hear that it will be so enjoyable. Scotch anyone?

Yahtzee
07-19-2008, 14:20
Might I suggest you try and stash some frozen water the first road crossing north of Lehigh Gap. Water is scarce in that area and you will probably have gone thru what you carried up the mountain. If you pick a sunny day, the top will dry you out good and cold water on the other side would be a treat. Plus, having water at that first road crossing gives you the option of not hiking much further. Otherwise, I think it's 16 miles to the first water source near the AT from Lehigh Gap.

The hike north of Wind Gap, once you regain the little elavation you lost, is just insanely rocky. The last day the rocks will just be annoying. No major rock stretches the last 10 or so miles, just irregular footing the whole way down to DWG.

Great little bar in Wind Gap about a mile down the hill to the right. Located on the right at the first major intersection you reach. Great dive.

shelterbuilder
07-19-2008, 18:06
Having had my hiking baptism on Pa. rocks over most of the sections mentioned, and living in the area for the last 30 years (maintaining with BMECC for 25 years), I, too, had once thought that the entire AT was like this - rocky ridges that you pick up for a day to a day and half, then down into the gaps and back up onto the rocks again. What a rude awakening when I ventured into NY's hills and was going up and down and up and down and up and down and ...well, you get the idea.

It's all different, but it's all the AT, so it's all good.

(Note to DavidNH: we only sharpen the rocks every OTHER year; any more than that, and they'd wear down too quick!)

trailangelmary
07-19-2008, 19:06
(Note to DavidNH: we only sharpen the rocks every OTHER year; any more than that, and they'd wear down too quick!)
Good one!

Chaco Taco
07-19-2008, 19:57
I heard Bag Of Tricks sits out with a cold beer, filing the rocks :D

cowboy nichols
07-19-2008, 20:17
I was raised in Pa. and miss the rocks. But this bring me to a question.If you hate rocks, bugs, rain,heat, cold,dogs,mice etc. WHY are you hiking? This is not aimed at anyone in particular just all the complaints I keep hearing. I use rocks as an excuse to enjoy a rest between steps, of course I don't worry about milage.

hopefulhiker
07-19-2008, 21:04
I remember turning my ankle a lot during that section.. After a while it doesn't hurt anymore....

Wise Old Owl
07-19-2008, 21:19
If you want a flat paved trail its called a road! It also lacks the Pointless Ups & Downs.(puds) A little rock make us all more well rounded. (Rolling Stone)

Enjoy PA