PDA

View Full Version : Going To Franconia

Homer&Marje
07-18-2008, 16:06
Just curious to see if anyone is going to be in the Franconia area July 24-29. I am taking my 13 year old brother in law on his first backpacking trip. We plan on hiking in on the Wilderness Trail, taking a left onto Bondcliff, Up to the Twinway and Franconia Ridge Trail, and finish the circle on Osseo Trail. Happy trails ;)

Blissful
07-18-2008, 17:03
For a first backpacking trip at that age, that's kind of tough. I'd stay in the Pemigawasset Wilderness and wander around there, personally. Franconia Brook has an awesome rock water slide which he will love. JMO

Hikerhead
07-18-2008, 18:02
Just curious to see if anyone is going to be in the Franconia area July 24-29. I am taking my 13 year old brother in law on his first backpacking trip. We plan on hiking in on the Wilderness Trail, taking a left onto Bondcliff, Up to the Twinway and Franconia Ridge Trail, and finish the circle on Osseo Trail. Happy trails ;)

Not in one day.

Homer&Marje
07-18-2008, 21:36
5 day trip. he'll be fine. very low mileage, and i did it at his age. If he's tired or too sore on day two we go down 13 falls trail and do a day down there instead of the ridge. but he really wants to do the ridge ( probly because i did)

Hikerhead
07-18-2008, 21:48
Sorry, I missed the 5 day part. That really sounds like a great trip. You two will have a blast.
Cookerhiker and I are making plans to do the Pinkham to Franconia Notch using trails that will keep us on a straight line, more or less, jumping on and off the AT three times. The last 2 days will see us dropping off of Bondcliff into the Pemi, up Mt Flume and Liberty before dropping off into Franconia Notch.

Be sure to give us a trail report when you get back.

Homer&Marje
07-19-2008, 09:14
I don't think my original post included the 5 day mark, but ya it's an awesome loop up there in Franconia. Just how I like it, low mileage, high peaks. The last peak i do is mt flume so we'll take a shot of whiskey up there. (Maybe just water). Forgot the little guy's coming with us:rolleyes:

rafe
07-19-2008, 09:33
Do you have up to date maps? Is Osseo trail still maintained and passable? There are condos all along the Kancamagus Hwy. these days -- I haven't been able to find the trailheads in years (at least till you get several miles east of N. Woodstock.) The trail leading in past Hancock is fine... I forget the name.

Homer&Marje
07-19-2008, 09:48
AMC mountain guide USGS map copyright 1998. am i getting myself into a problem with that route??

rickb
07-19-2008, 09:55
Does the Osseo Trail on your map come out at Lincoln Woods (Big Parking Area?)

Homer&Marje
07-19-2008, 10:00
I just talked to a gentleman at the AMC to make sure i had a viable map. He said any later vintage maps than mine would show the Osseo Trail going Directly south from Mt Flume to Loon Ski area, my map has it going in the correct direction south and then southeast and linking with the Lincoln Woods Trail.

Homer&Marje
07-19-2008, 10:03
The guy at the AMC called the route i'm doing the Pemi-Loop and said it was a favorite among people that he worked with. Don't know why thats important but he thought it was important for me to know. I guess it's nice to know.:D

rickb
07-19-2008, 10:04
If you are planning to stay at established campsites (especially Guyot), you may want to try and arrive at the campsites relatively early in the day, as they are among the ones to fill up most quickly in the summer.

Homer&Marje
07-19-2008, 10:16
How decent is the terrain before the ridgeline for camping in non established campsites, or do they crack down on that and discourage it now.

rickb
07-19-2008, 10:18
Here is a link to the camping regulations in the Whites:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/camping/backcountry_rules_2008-09.pdf

The Pemigawasett does see rangers that will ask you to move if you are not legally camped. That said, before or after you get up on the ridge, I think the very best places to pitch a tent are off Trail. Speaking for myself (only) knowing the rules gives me confidence to find my own spot. Because you are in the Pemi, the rules are fricking complex at first read, so they might be worth looking over over in advance. There is a Ranger stationed at the parking area (you can't miss the log house when you go in at Lincoln Woods) who you can ask, but they sometimes get confused!

Rickb.

Homer&Marje
07-19-2008, 10:21
yea sounds about like I remember it. camp 200 ft from the trail with the left door of your tent facing south by southeast and a pink flag flying on a branch six and a half feet from your ..... ah we get the point.

celt
07-20-2008, 10:01
Do you have up to date maps? Is Osseo trail still maintained and passable? There are condos all along the Kancamagus Hwy. these days -- I haven't been able to find the trailheads in years (at least till you get several miles east of N. Woodstock.) The trail leading in past Hancock is fine... I forget the name.

Sounds like you've got some museum quality maps on your hands. The Osseo trail was relocated about 30 years ago. If your interested in hiking the old route its still possible to find. I found it by first finding Clear Brook along the Kancamagus Hwy and bushwacking up the brook through the condos (Village of Loon). I soon found a well beaten trail and although the farther away from the condos it got the harder it got to follow it was possible to trace all the way up to Mt. Flume. For a time it was kept clear illegally.
I don't recommend using it for a backpacking trip.

Mags
07-20-2008, 16:07
At only $10, this map is quite the deal:
http://www.mapadventures.com/pr_waterproof_white_mtns.htm

I am using it to plan my own white mountains jaunt for the Fall.

MUCH better than the maps I used 10+ yrs ago!

Bare Bear
07-20-2008, 16:26
Dang I am jealous, sounds like a great hike while I swelter here in Fl. Of course the pool is sparkling...............

rafe
07-20-2008, 17:01
At only $10, this map is quite the deal:
http://www.mapadventures.com/pr_waterproof_white_mtns.htm

I am using it to plan my own white mountains jaunt for the Fall.

MUCH better than the maps I used 10+ yrs ago!

At your link is a snippet of a map near Mt. Baldface. I took a hike there last summer (or maybe it was 2006) and found some of the trails barely passable and very poorly maintained. When I got home, I bought a brand new AMC White Mountains guide (w/maps) just to be sure the trails I was on were still on the map. They were. :rolleyes:

4eyedbuzzard
07-20-2008, 17:20
I prefer the Trails Illustrated/Nat'l Geograpic maps:

#740 and #741 cover NH and the Whites

http://www.rei.com/product/707008

http://www.rei.com/product/707010

Mags
07-20-2008, 17:23
At your link is a snippet of a map near Mt. Baldface. I took a hike there last summer (or maybe it was 2006) and found some of the trails barely passable and very poorly maintained. When I got home, I bought a brand new AMC White Mountains guide (w/maps) just to be sure the trails I was on were still on the map. They were. :rolleyes:

After doing the CDT, my version of "poorly maintained" is now much different than most. ;)

In all seriousness, I've noticed that happens fairly often in all places. Sometimes a trail on a map BARELY exists...

Homer&Marje
07-21-2008, 07:20
Well, my maps are 10 years old and from what the AMC guy said on the phone was that if you have anything older than that you should think of re-investing. Personally i'm just using second hand maps until i buy the National Geographic topo program... seems the best way to go. My maps are from the AMC mountain guide 1998 and still in perfect condition and I think the Pemi-Loop is pretty well beaten down into a road.

Homer&Marje
07-23-2008, 09:15
Leaving for NH after work all, see you on the trail tomorrow and will post pictures and a trip report maybe even post some trail conditions for you NOBO's about the reach the whites. Happy trails all see you on monday!

Homer&Marje
06-30-2009, 16:35
Good Thing I kept this thread around from last years trip. Taking the brother in law, Walker Skinny Ranger, who is now 14 and me and the wife back up to the Pemi Wilderness.

Going to do the other half of the pemi loop that we did not do last year because of Marje injuring her knee. With that in mind we are going to start in Lincoln woods and go NW up the Osseo trail to link up with the AT and Franconia Ridge. First night at Liberty Springs, Second at Garfield, Third night at 13 Falls, fourth night at Franconia Falls and then out. Have not decided on which path to thirteen Falls to take, read that the Lincoln Brook Trail might have some tough river crossings in high water...can avoid all that on Franconia Brook trail.

Any Suggestions?

Finally getting the hang of that NG topo program....thanks again TOF for clarifying the age of some of those maps...almost 30 years.....but if you just add your own knowledge and mix it with a good guidebook, drawing it out gives you the mileage....pretty good and real nice quality when printed. Note, I self laminate all my maps with contact paper to make them waterproof.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/7/8/4/6/sdc11419.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/7/8/4/6/sdc11409.jpg

Need a map for everyone including a large roll out and a pocket size mini? I'll Make them for ya :D

modiyooch
06-30-2009, 23:39
wow, did I get confused. anyway I'll be there this year 7/22. How was the camping situation for you? Were you able to find sites while staying within the rules. The exception rules is what throws me.

Homer&Marje
07-01-2009, 07:08
wow, did I get confused. anyway I'll be there this year 7/22. How was the camping situation for you? Were you able to find sites while staying within the rules. The exception rules is what throws me.

I found some nice stealth sites within the rules on the wilderness trail and on bondcliff trail. When u get up into elevation it makes it much more difficult to do both. Staying within reasonable mileage and getting between shelters and campsites is no problem though. Short miles with tall views for me in the whites.

I like to make sure I leave camp early to avoid summit crowds and overbooked campsites.

Cookerhiker
07-01-2009, 09:06
I'm starting at the Liberty Spring TH Sunday morning July 26 and hiking hut-to-hut slow paced to Pinkham. I'll look for both of you.

Homer&Marje
07-01-2009, 10:08
I'm starting at the Liberty Spring TH Sunday morning July 26 and hiking hut-to-hut slow paced to Pinkham. I'll look for both of you.

Gonna b done by then...going from 7/11-7/18 but enjoy your time...I'll post some trail conditions and a trip report...let ya know how the bugs are:D Tasty I'm sure, like always

LIhikers
07-01-2009, 18:56
My wife and I will be ending an AT section at Franconia Notch the end of July. We plan to finish on Friday, July 31.

Cookerhiker
07-01-2009, 20:13
My wife and I will be ending an AT section at Franconia Notch the end of July. We plan to finish on Friday, July 31.

Are you hiking south from Pinkham/Crawford or north from Glencliff? If the former, we're sure to run into you.

Homer&Marje
07-09-2009, 10:42
I'm getting the two day away WHY THE HELL AM I NOT BACKPACKING YET syndrome. It's bad this time too because of the amount of time sitting around doing virtually nothing.

Plan on doing a 4 or 5 day by myself before my next surgery in 5 weeks and hopefully that will pre satisfy my need to get the hell outa dodge.

I packed and loaded, and walked around with my pack on for a while up and down the stairs....wife thought it was funny.

Beard is filling in nicely. Should be Grizzly Adams by the end of the summer:D Head stays shaved. Don't wanna look like a dirtbag:rolleyes:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ldP-jp9aBzY/SlYAlKKmVYI/AAAAAAAACVE/eRqHc5pC4Y8/s576/SDC11469.JPG