PDA

View Full Version : Hiking companions for Maine sections

Debbie
07-19-2008, 14:33
I'm doing Abol to Katahdin Aug 11 and 12 then heading down to do Highway 27 to 17 (or maybe 4). I'm seeking companions. I'm about average speed, looking to do about 8 miles per day.

Debbie/Sea Eagle

kizzybean
07-22-2008, 10:26
Debbie,

I live in Maine and would like to do some day hikes or short sections in August. I'm saving the 100 mile wilderness for last and I am section hiking nobo. I have completed the section from Rt 4 to Rt 27 which is very nice, gives you some good challenges, elavation, rocks, open summit of Saddleback with views and mountain streams. If you have any interest in changing your plans I have the following sections in Maine I'm hoping to complete this summer/fall.

1. Long Falls Dam Rd to Caratunk (2 or 3 days/ 1 or 2 overnights)
2. South Arm Rd to Rt 17 (day hike 13.5 miles)
3. Caratunk to Moxie Pond (day hike, 11.8 miles)

If any of this might work for your plans let me know. Slack packing I can generally do more miles than with full pack. This spring I did some day section hikes in PA with a couple other hikers that worked really well. They hiked sobo each day and I hike nobo. We traded cars so I took their car in the morning and they mine. We'd meet on the trail mid-day confirm parking spots and then hiked on to our cars. That way when we finished we just got in our car and headed back to where we spent the night. If this sounds of interest it might be another option for hiking. When I'm with friends and we want to hike together we take 2 cars drop one at the ending point then drive to starting point. This adds a little more driving but we spend the day hiking together.

You can respond here or PM me with questions or interest. I'm easy and flexible so if this isn't at all interesting for your personal plans no worry. The sections you have chosen are really nice and if it's going to be your only sections in Maine you do then you may not want to change your plans. Just throwing it out in case. Living here I'll be hiking these sections no matter what, family is very helpful with shuttling me around.

Kizzybean

Hammock Hanger
07-22-2008, 10:34
Hey Sea Eagle, how are you getting to Maine???

Debbie
07-22-2008, 18:03
I'm flying, like an eagle would. I'm flying into Portland, which is cheaper than Bangor, then I'll probably rent a car, which I think is cheaper than a shuttler. That's what I discovered in June when I hiked in the Smokies with Jack, Liz, and Shortcut.

What are you doing this summer? By the way, congratulations on your new post with FTA.

SeaEagle:banana

Hammock Hanger
07-22-2008, 18:46
[quote=Debbie;670099]I'm flying, like an eagle would. I'm flying into Portland, which is cheaper than Bangor, then I'll probably rent a car, which I think is cheaper than a shuttler. That's what I discovered in June when I hiked in the Smokies with Jack, Liz, and Shortcut.

What are you doing this summer? By the way, congratulations on your new post with FTA.

SeaEagle:banana[/quote

I have been rehabing a knee. It has been a long summer with no hiking. My only glimmer of light was that I was hiking across Spain come September. Unfortunately a critical issue with a family member has made me put that on hold!! If I have to cancel then I will go hike somewhere, possibly the GA Pinhoti, come October - November. It is my only trail break from Key West to Maine. If I had the time it would have been great to hike with you through that very pretty area. ENJOY!:D