PDA

View Full Version : While hiking what do you wear?

SGT Rock
02-28-2004, 21:08
I have recently swithched to hiking in a kilt, hiked in shorts for years. Cannot ever remember wearing long pants while backpacking, the closest I have come is (go ahead & laugh) panty hose to keep my legs warm.

Just was wondering, multiple votes allowed.

eldwayno
02-28-2004, 21:27
sooo for the Other.... I did try hiking in a sun dress... very comfortable... great for those summer breezes, and kept the chafing to a minimum. I did it, up until friends saw pictures of me hiking.... that was the end of that.

Streamweaver
02-28-2004, 21:49
Man! What kind of site is this turning into???!! LOL I guess I cant talk to much,Ive hiked nude through a few thunderstorms."theres my shower fer the month"Mostly I wear zip offs ,due to the fact that I get the urge to do some bushwacking from time to time. Streamweaver

mdjeeper
02-28-2004, 22:23
I usually wear shorts while hiking, if its chilly I wear polypro under them till the blood gets flowing good.

Doctari
02-28-2004, 23:37
Hey thanks Rock for posting my poll the right way!! AT troll was going to delete my other on after I tried again, but now I dont have to. I still vote for the kilt :D

I don't know what happened, my guess is arthritic fingers :datz

Anyway, thanks for fixin it.

Doctari.

bobgessner57
02-28-2004, 23:51
Nylon river shorts with mesh lining the bestest.

Nylon zipoffs the second bestest unless cold or nettles make them the bestest.

Got some breathable rain pants that I wear as only pant if chilly and rainy or over zipoffs if really cold. Polypro long handles fit into the equation in season, too.

tribes
02-29-2004, 01:42
I have a thousand miles of hiking on a pair of $9.99 closeout Columbia supplex shorts w/mesh liner. The kind with a drawstring, not the belt. I find it to be less irritating under the hipbelt. You will not see me hiking without them. During cold weather (under 20 degrees) I will add a pair of lightweight capilene and wear the shorts over them.

attroll
02-29-2004, 01:46
I want to try and switch to a kilt but I can not see spending $75 for something that just wraps around you.

attroll
02-29-2004, 02:42
I can not sew a hole in a pair of pants. How can I make my own kilt. LOL

okpik
02-29-2004, 07:58
I got my sport kilt on Ebay for around $45
I wear that with gaitors.

I have been wearing wool Swiss army winter grade nickers in the winter.

Kozmic Zian
02-29-2004, 15:02
Yea.....Wear While Hiking? I usually wear poly longs under and shorts over, less in summer-shorts only. Shorts have mesh liner, replacing underwear. Poly longs are only for cooler weather. Shirt would be polypro Patagonia short for most days, long sleave if cooler. KZ@

highway
03-01-2004, 07:34
I'm conservative in thought so I'll just stick with wearing my shorts while hiking, adding long underwear if it gets very cold. I just cannot see myself ever "cross-dressing" in a kilt, though.

But, hey, for those of you that "lean that way", go ahead. I just hope you don't then start eyeballing the different ensembles longingly in your wives closets, or begin to "color coordinate" or, even worse, start to "accessorize" your hiking dress, er, kilt. :p

MedicineMan
03-01-2004, 08:11
Not exactly a fan of camo but Walmart has carried Remington zip-offs at around 30bucks...good features, quick drying and know that Remingtons clothing line is generated by Dupont also know for many other high tech fabrics. In winter I have a pair of fleece shorts that go under, this is complemented by gaiters.
I tried the kilt and loved it until I was walking in a deluge, the fabric would stick to my leg when wet and drag my leg when I swung it forward, that got old after an hour, worse after 2, a pain after 3 and by the end of the day my kilting was over.

Streamweaver
03-01-2004, 08:21
I love my Remington zip offs!! 1oo% nylon ,thin but tough!! Streamweaver

flyfisher
03-01-2004, 10:28
I wear a nylon bathing suit, that is long enough to be shorts. Mesh layer inside replaces underwear. I've worn this for about 200 miles on the trail and a full year under my work clothes. Each evening I rinse out the mesh and I wash the shorts once or twice a week in a sink or pot.

I do have a silnylon rain skirt/kilt I intend to use this spring after it gets a bit warmer.

squirrel bait
03-01-2004, 10:52
Quick dry surfer board shorts, cool colors and great prices in the winter.

Jaybird
03-01-2004, 12:02
hey! i thought we already had this poll once!??????

i voted for the Zip/Convertible pants...protective in the rainstorms, winds, & cool weather & "converts" to shorts in the hot, humid weather. :D

although...for the last 4 days of my 2003 section hike...i wore nylon Nike mesh shorts (i lost my "convertible pants @ Fontana Dam showers....long story!) ;)

sakkit
03-06-2004, 16:58
I use leg warmers. They have zippers by the ankle and keep me warm and dry. Light weight and very compact. I have a lot of cycling clothing and can be used for hiking.

sakkit

Cosmo
03-06-2004, 21:30
Zip offs get my vote. Keeps the bugs and ticks at bay. Keeps the mud out of the sleeping bag too.

Cosmo

tlbj6142
07-14-2004, 22:40
Spandex shorts. Dry quickly and prevent chaffing without the need to use Body Glide. When worn without shorts over them they are quite cool and comfortable.

I take them off for bed and sleep in a pair of umbros.

I always have my 3.92oz Rainshield O2 pants if it gets unexpectantly cold.

On my coldest trip (18F in the Smokies) I had a pair of convertible pants over mid-weight Duofold long johns. Worked quite well.

I'm trying (not too hard) to obtain a pair of ultra-light footless "man tights" (you can get them from ballet shops) that weigh 1-2oz. Worn under my O2 pants I'd probably be good into the 20's (if not lower).

Pencil Pusher
07-15-2004, 00:56
Thank you flyfisher, for calling swim trunks what they are. Geez, all this 'shorts with mesh liner' stuff. Next up are the skirts guys wear. The local thrift shop should have a wide variety of style and size for skirts, for cheap too.

slapcrap
07-15-2004, 02:28
i have seen some kilts in the wilds, in my time

yet to see any one adopt loin cloths ...... as of yet anyway

I assume loin cloths could be easly made out of scraps of one favorite fabric

Ramble~On
07-15-2004, 02:39
Zip offs. Mostly the shorts. The pants are nice to have sometimes.
When it's cold I wear a pair of black spandex running pants (if you can call them pants) I have Capilene but the running thingies weigh less and work just as well. I did spend several days hiking in two bandanas tied Tarzan style:D
Survey Says "Most Bestest"

slatchley
07-15-2004, 06:47
I wear long pants year 'round, whether 20 below or 100 in trhe shade. I am just more comfortable not dealing with brush scraping my legs, and the lightweight pants are darn near as cool as shorts. Plus I always figured I could hike in my boxer/briefs if I need to. The first pair of convertibles I tried didn't have zippers on the legs,so I had to take off my shoes to change. Somebody really blew that design! Anyway, I never tried 'em again.

Mr. Clean
07-15-2004, 07:59
I'm always amazed at how well the Sport Kilt performs on a hike. No restrictions, warm, yet cool at the same time, and always fun to see peoples reactions when they see you in it. I do put shorts on when I crawl into the sleeping bag at night, though, since it can all ride up around your waist or gets twisted around as you roll during the night. I got the Black Stewart tartan since they had none that resembled any Clan that I can claim. Just get one, you'll like it. I also wear a small fanny pack on the front for camera, cereal bar, bandana, etc.

sgtjinx
08-18-2004, 12:52
I have recently swithched to hiking in a kilt, hiked in shorts for years. Cannot ever remember wearing long pants while backpacking, the closest I have come is (go ahead & laugh) panty hose to keep my legs warm.

Just was wondering, multiple votes allowed.

So it's don't ask, don't tell!!! :banana

Sgt Jinx
1/75th Inf Rgr Bn
1/35th Lgt Inf Bn, 25th Inf Div

SGT Rock
08-18-2004, 13:02
LOL, OK, I did not actually make that post. I guess it reads like I did. Someone else tried to start this thread and it didn't work right, so I made it for them. I do own a kilt, but I have never hiked in it nor have I worn panty hose.

grrickar
08-18-2004, 17:24
Take a bedsheet and some safety pins and make you some clothes (TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!), change your trailname to Bluto... Use a flannel sheet for cold weather.:bse

smokymtnsteve
08-18-2004, 17:36
LOL, OK, I did not actually make that post. I guess it reads like I did. Someone else tried to start this thread and it didn't work right, so I made it for them. I do own a kilt, but I have never hiked in it nor have I worn panty hose.

well it sure looks like you made that post :D

and I have seen you in your kilt..

grrickar
08-18-2004, 17:36
I have zip offs but was wondering if I should carry polypro long underwear for my section hike in early October. The section will be Hot Springs to Fontana Dam. I suppose once I get moving I will warm up, so I'm not sure I need anything for my legs or not. If it gets too warm or is a warm day, I can always zip off the legs of the pants. My quandry is how much cold weather clothes should I take. Here is what I have, but looking for some advice (I certainly won't need it all):

Convertable Pants
Duofold S/S Shirt - 2
Duofold L/S Shirt - 3
Duofold Varitherm Long Underwear Top
Duofold Varitherm Long Underwear Bottom
2 pair merino wools socks
2 pair sock liners
Fleece Neck Gaiter
Fleece Cap
Fleece balaclava
Fleece vest
Patagonia L/S Zip Shirt
O2 Rainwear

I am going to take the rainwear, so that can be an extra layer (it breathes) in a pinch. I suppose the minimal load would be the Patagonia L/S fleece shirt, fleece vest, 1 pr socks, 1 sock liner pair, convertable pants, and one of the Duofold S/S shirts. That still leaves my legs with nothing but the nylon pants covering them. I suppose if they are warranted I could take the Duofold bottoms, and still zip the pant legs off to give some relief if it gets warm, or take the long johns off altogether. The bottom line is I would rather leave the extra stuff behind. Of the clothing listed above, what would you guys recommend for a 10-11 day section hike in the Smokies (Oct5-16)?

grrickar
08-18-2004, 17:40
Not exactly a fan of camo but Walmart has carried Remington zip-offs at around 30bucks...good features, quick drying and know that Remingtons clothing line is generated by Dupont also know for many other high tech fabrics.
They are now carrying zip offs made by Sports Afield. They had them in a sage color and tan. They have a web belt with buckle, which could be used as a strap in a pinch. I think I paid less than $20 for them. Look in the hunting section of sporting goods.

uphillklimber
08-19-2004, 06:30
I tried some nylon running shorts last year. They have a built in liner and the legs are very short, with a slit up the side almost to the hips. I love them for hiking, as I always end up doing rock scrambles, I guess. They allow almost unlimited flexability, and no friction when I have to lift my legs over my waist. Very cool to hike in when it is hot.

Beyond that, I'll wear a t-shirt and short gaiters over my boots and socks. Not much clothing and sometimes sunburns can be a concern. In the woods, this is less of a concern, but in the exposed areas, sunblock is considered.

Kerosene
08-19-2004, 08:03
I have zip offs but was wondering if I should carry polypro long underwear for my section hike in early October.
You should only need the long underwear for around camp. It may be cool when you start out in the morning, but just suck it up and start walking (not too fast at first and take a second to stretch)!

I easily get by with a single L/S shirt and one S/S shirt, especially if I bring long underwear. If you get cool around camp, then layer with your Patagonia and rainwear. I bring two pairs of wool socks, but four pairs of liners and switch the liners frequently (my feet sweat profusely and the liners have a chance of drying out).

Remember that your body will become somewhat acclimated to cooler temperatures once you've been outdoors for 3-4 days. Plus, you can always dive into your sleeping bag if the temperature really plummets.

Peaks
08-19-2004, 09:31
I have zip offs but was wondering if I should carry polypro long underwear for my section hike in early October.

It depends on how you tolerate cold. I note that you are planning on taking dufold long sleeve T-shirts, so that should suffice for your upper body. Isn't dufold the same function as polypro? But what about your legs? Generally speaking, I don't cover them up nearly as much as my upper body. So, I wouldn't use poly pro bottoms. On the other hand, poly pro doesn't weigh much, so no big deal to bring it along.

smokymtnsteve
08-19-2004, 11:19
I always take three pairs of socks ...

wear one pair

have one pair airing on the back of the pack (weather permitting)

keep one pair clean and dry to wear at night...damp socks at night=coldfeet

Spirit Walker
08-19-2004, 14:26
On the AT and PCT I generally wore shorts, but I rarely hike trails that are as well maintained any more so I prefer having my legs covered. I wear the zip-off pants most of the time. If it is hot and the trail is good, I can always unzip them. If I'm stepping over blowdowns or traveling through brush, I keep them zipped. If it rains, they dry quickly and will usually keep me warmer than bare legs, without the sweatbox effect of rain pants.

mdionne
10-29-2004, 17:59
warm days- a ring
cold days- a sock

SAR-EMT40
11-08-2004, 15:26
LOL, I do own a kilt, but I have never hiked in it nor have I worn panty hose.
SGT Rock, you were starting to scare the Hell out of me with the original post. ;) I know that I have been out for 20 years but I am glad to hear that Army Sargents haven't changed quite that much since I got out. :D I can handle the kilt, but I am afraid that panty hose is going to take me longer to get used to.:-? :)

SGT Randino
CSC 1/6 Inf 1st AD
Scout squad leader

Megabite
11-08-2004, 17:11
mountain hardwear mountain kilt, synthetic boxers, icebreaker merino wool t-shirt, smartwool socks, mini gaiters, and LOTS OF FACIAL HAIR.

-- megabite

chris
11-08-2004, 17:59
It depends on where and when I am hiking. For example, in the desert I'll wear long white shirt and long tan nylon pants. On the AT, in May and June, I'm in shorts and a t-shirt. In the Canadian Rockys this summer(the GDT), I wore soft shell pants and either a t-shirt or long sleeve stretch top, sometime with a windshirt, sometimes without.

I've been in the softshells just about every weekend since I moved out to Washington and really like them.

TDale
11-08-2004, 20:28
Wicking briefs, nylon shorts or swim trunks with the mesh cut out.

Kilts? Pantyhose? Tights? Only with a tiny mauve daypack around town. :dance

neo
01-01-2005, 08:20
my favorite is my north face shorts with built in mesh liner:sun neo

Seraphim
01-01-2005, 10:35
sooo for the Other.... I did try hiking in a sun dress... very comfortable... great for those summer breezes, and kept the chafing to a minimum. I did it, up until friends saw pictures of me hiking.... that was the end of that. I too tried hiking in a sundress. I haven't stopped, and doubt I will anytime soon if the sun still shines! Happy New Year, ya'll, it's almost 50 degrees! :sun

titanium_hiker
01-05-2005, 11:03
to those unfortunate people who don't have celtic heritage: men wearing a kilt is not cross dressing. a woman wearing a kilt is. (sigh...)

oh: and have you seen the samoan/tongan/pacific islander policemen in their traditional clothing? it looks like a skirt, but you wouldn't laugh at them in public... huge guys!

titanium

Kembo
03-21-2005, 18:01
Lately I've been hiking in shorts, but..... The majority of my backpacking has been done in 100% cotton blue jeans. I sure hope that the fashion police don't hear about this.

Jeff

Jaybird
03-22-2005, 06:13
remember the hiker's motto:

"COTTON IS EVIL!" ;)

flyfisher
03-22-2005, 08:29
i have seen some kilts in the wilds, in my time

yet to see any one adopt loin cloths ...... as of yet anyway

I assume loin cloths could be easly made out of scraps of one favorite fabric
I did some investigation of a Breechclout and leggings this winter. It would work. However, putting it on and taking it off is really hard compared with a simple kilt or hiking skirt.

I really like my hiking skirt that comes down below my knees. It is warm when it is cold outside and can be nice a breezy but not overly revealing by pulling the bottom hem up and tucking it into the waist.

It is easy to sleep in and to do necessary business. It is lightweight. It stays clean much longer than any other sort of shorts or pants.

It really helps with chafing.

Doctari
03-22-2005, 23:01

True, it was my post. Either I had fat fingers, or my puter was having a bad day then :datz Thanks again Rock!

I am always warmer than them thats around me. So regular Long underwear is too warm for me even down to about 10 deg F, so instead, I use winterall panty hose. And then rarely, still too warm.

I currently own 5 homemade kilts. 2 specially made for hiking. Average wt 14 to 16 Oz. I have made 7 or 8 so far.

Doctari.

Buckingham
08-26-2005, 22:21
I have 2 pair of shorts with 6 & 7 pockets each, that I only wear while hiking or attending a Pearl Jam concert. They've lasted me 5 years so far.

People laugh at me at work in the winter, because I always wear shorts, I don't care if there's snow on the ground.

Man was not made to be a slave to pants.:sun

frieden
09-14-2005, 10:17
Because kilts are sexy, that's why! :D I went to school in N. Ireland. Kilts over there, are like wearing a suit or tux over here. Yes, they have kilt rental, just like tux rental. There's nothing like a man in formal wear.

I wear zip off hiking pants, made in Vietnam. They have "vents" to aid in cooling. When it gets cold, I wear my running pants under them.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-14-2005, 12:02
Male Dino -
Summer - shorts and T-shirt
Winter - zip-off pants and t-shirt under light long-sleeve pullover top.

Female Dino -
Summer - shorts or homemade skirt (similar to commercial skirts, but a bit looser) and a lycra sports bra in absence of biting bugs - a T-shirt in buggy areas
Alternative - a homemade mumu type dress - material is light weight polyester and print is not see-thru - wear this commando to ease moisture-related problems in the nether region. Also makes peeing easier.
Winter - hiking tights with shorts or zip-offs (depends on temps) and about three layers of light-weight shirts over a sports bra.

We both use SmartWool socks all the time. Female dino uses silk liners for warmth in winter.