PDA

View Full Version : Altitude Acclimatization

rafe
07-20-2008, 10:46
I'm interested in stories from "non-natives" who've hiked the JMT or done high-altitude hikes. How did the altitude affect your hiking? How long did it take to "acclimatize?"

It seems the part of the PCT that I'm now looking to hike (Northern JMT to Reds Meadow) is mostly at 10,000 feet or higher. The nephew and I both live pretty much at sea level. I don't spend much time at high altitudes, so I'm really not sure what to expect.

I remember a day trip to the summit of South Sister (10358 feet) at age 28 or so and being very winded near the top. I remember skiing at Alta (base = 8000 feet) about ten years ago and having a low-grade headache for most of that trip.

On a few occasions, I've mentioned to Daniel, "This isn't going to be anything like the AT." But the altitude issue concerns me a bit. I'd heard stories of folks doing 20-25 miles per day on the PCT. But I'm thinking more like 10 per day now, given the altitude.

Sly
07-20-2008, 10:57
You could spend a night or two at Toulomne Meadows backpacker camp (8700') and do a couple day hikes. It's an awesome area and should help you become acclimated. For the most part you won't be camping much higher. Drink lots of water. I've also heard taking Ginkgo Biloba a few days before helps.

minnesotasmith
07-20-2008, 11:05
My apartment's altitude is about 4200', and I work (spend most of my time at) a little over 8200'. I routinely go dayhiking near where I work. All of these have been the case for over a year. I have also (visiting for the Rockies Ruck in Feb. 2008) been to Leadville, CO, at 10,152', where I walked around a bit.

I have found that altitude for me (to those levels) is no biggee, and I'm heavier than ideal and in (to most hikers) so-so cardio shape. As long as I don't push hard when walking on uphills, I don't really notice much difference from 4,200' to 8,200'. My companion when I went to Leadville was somewhat more affected, to be sure. And, I remember fellow employees in my company grouse a bit about altitude while doing any heavy work in Wyoming at a site around 9,800'. I never have once heard anyone complain about the effects of altitude in the town in which my apartment is located, though.

I think that issues with high altitude are extemely variable from person to person, so much so that any altitude below that of Leadville's 10,000' or so may not matter to many people (other than for its lowering effect on temperatures; wonderful in summer, a bit less desirable in deep winter).

budforester
07-20-2008, 11:34
I second Sly’s suggestion to spend some time at lower level. I hadn’t heard of using ginko… interesting. I, too, live where the air is thick. It seems I’ve been OK at altitude by day 3… but still couldn’t keep up with the natives. My “headaches" feel like sinus, so I have wondered if that is mostly drying of the membranes. Dealing with low oxygen, I need frequent breaks and it seems counterproductive to tough it out and push on. The tact I follow is to drink plenty of fluid and eat my meals even if I am not hungry. I function pretty well after a week or two but, over time, my blood pressure gets higher than I like to risk.

MOWGLI
07-20-2008, 11:39
Like Sly says, hydrate well. You might find you get a headache and have little to no energy climbing at high elevation. Just take it slow, allow your respiration and heartrate to readjust during rest breaks, and you should be fine. Don't forget the sunscreen, bucket hats and lip balm.

Donahue Pass is the toughest thing you'll do in that stretch. The rewards on the south side of the pass make it totally worth the effort, and then some. The first 10 of so miles up Lyell Canyon have virtually no perceptible elevation gain. So day 1 is perfect. Donahue Pass is the next day. One week from yesterday or today, I'll be going over Donahue Pass. :banana

Sly
07-20-2008, 12:44
Actually, if Terrapin starts at Red's Meadow like he mentioned in another post, he won't be doing Donahue Pass. I suggested hanging out at TM because it's on the way to Red's* and a nicer area.

* Unless he flies into Reno but I think before he said he was flying into SF.

Sly
07-20-2008, 12:50
The first 10 of so miles up Lyell Canyon have virtually no perceptible elevation gain. So day 1 is perfect. Donahue Pass is the next day. One week from yesterday or today, I'll be going over Donahue Pass.

If elevation isn't a concern, rather than staying in Lyell canyon, I suggest you hike just below the pass at the small lake.

rafe
07-20-2008, 13:15
Flying into SF, then driving to Mammoth Lakes. We'll be hiking south on the PCT/JMT for as far as we can get in a week. I'm just trying to figure out just how far we might get, and make sure there's a relatively easy way off the trail at the end. Bishop Pass is about 70 miles, and then there's a slew of passes at around 90 miles. It looks do-able, though we may have to bail at Bishop pass.

Sly
07-20-2008, 13:24
Exiting at any of the side passes isn't a big deal. They'll take you to campground/trailheads with lots of people. The roads to them mostly originate near Bishop, (Kearsarge Pass to Independence) where you can get a bus back to Mammoth Lakes.

To start, from Mammoth Lakes you can get free shuttles to the ski area lodge and another $7 bus to Red's.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-20-2008, 13:38
While this is under discussion, I have a question. My Dad is very elderly, but still quite active. He wants to do some hiking in several national parks that are at high attitudes. Can anyone give me any tips or advice for acclimating an elderly man with an enlarged heart, so-so blood pressure and the other ailments that come with being quite elderly?

MOWGLI
07-20-2008, 13:53
While this is under discussion, I have a question. My Dad is very elderly, but still quite active. He wants to do some hiking in several national parks that are at high attitudes. Can anyone give me any tips or advice for acclimating an elderly man with an enlarged heart, so-so blood pressure and the other ailments that come with being quite elderly?

I would think that advice is best left to your Dad's physician.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-20-2008, 13:58
I would think that advice is best left to your Dad's physician. Dr. Moody (you met him at my mother's funeral) said to ask y'all as he was not quite sure what would be appropriate as to how long he should be at the new altitude before starting the hiking.

Bearpaw
07-20-2008, 18:12
When I was a "lowlander" I would often get sore throat, headaches, and general weakness for the first few days above 6000 feet. After moving out west and living and working between 8000-12000 feet for much of 2003, I find my body acclimates much quicker now.

BUT, in general, most folks seem to be reasonably OK up to 5-7000 feet initially. After that, plan a day for every extra thousand feet you'll work with. For example, if you show up at Tuolomne which is close to 9k, plan 2-3 days to become fully comfortable. You could actually hike up to the entrance to Lyell Canyon, which is pretty much the same elevation as Tuolomne, and include this in your acclimation time.

The real key is to take part in light to moderate activity during your acclimation period and focus on staying very well hydrated. This should reduce the weakness and discomfort of acclimation. If you must hike out quickly, remember to try to get over that first 11,000 foot pass and camp as low into the next basin as possible, "Hike high, sleep low" being the general wisdom.

Homer&Marje
07-21-2008, 08:51
I spent 7 days in between 7000 and 9000 out in the Sierras, first few days definitely took it slow with lots of water and carbs. From what i experienced, I only saw very mild headaches and usually when we weren't in the shade and above the tree line. As a word of caution though i was told if the headaches turn severe enough that you lose your equilibrium or you start vomitting repeatedly, turn around and descend at least 500 feet or until your head stops hurting and spinning, then stay the night at that altitude if vomitting has stopped and see how you feel in the morning. Thats all i got, i'm a sea level boy. Well, we live at 234', not bad right:D

MOWGLI
07-21-2008, 08:57
Dr. Moody (you met him at my mother's funeral) said to ask y'all as he was not quite sure what would be appropriate as to how long he should be at the new altitude before starting the hiking.

Sorry. That's outta my league.

Personally, I spent 6 days at 8000' before starting a hike on the Colorado Trail with my daughter back in 2005. That really helped.

This year, we'll have two nights at about 8000' before starting a 12 day trip on the JMT. But we're relatively healthy. So I wouldn't use our experience as a guide.

If it was my father with those medical conditions, I'd seek a second opinion from an MD.

mrc237
07-21-2008, 09:19
In 2004 (at 59) I section hiked the PCT from Campo to TM and followed the JMT into Yos. Valley. I had no high altitude problems even on the Mt Whitney side trip. In 2005 I planned on continuing from TM. I arrived there and hung out for a day or two and continued N. After 14 miles at about 8500' I knew I was in for it, difficulty breathing quickly tiring and headaches. I turned back to TM and did the High Camp (?) Trail 62 miles with ele. reaching 10,000. I felt a little better but decided to abort the hike. I'm still planning to continue this hike but with a different approach so I'm real interested in this thread. I also heard of some vitamin that helps but I was told to start taking them 6 mos. before hiking.

leeki pole
07-21-2008, 10:21
I'm a sea level boy and I thought I could just go out and hike at 8,000 feet. Seqouia, first day off the plane, no problem, heck I run all the time, 30 miles a week. So I get up close to the top and all of a sudden I'm light headed, dizzy, vertigo and shaking like a leaf, can't even get the top off my Gatorade. This might not be good. So after a liter of Gatorade and a liter of water, I stumble back down the mountain, and once I get down I'm fine. Scary, but everybody handles altitude differently. I learned my lesson.

berninbush
07-21-2008, 10:35
I've lived most of my life within 100 feet of sea level. In high school I paid a weeklong visit to the New Mexico-Arizona border, around 6000 feet I think. It was probably the highest elevation I'd reached at that point in my life, other than travel in pressurized airplanes. The first 24 hours were scary... I was having chest pains, like a tight knot in the middle of my chest. After that I was ok.

I think I adjust to altitude a bit easier now. But if I'm going somewhere high, I try not to take it for granted.

fiddlehead
07-21-2008, 10:51
I've found that the first time to altitude is the toughest. For Frolickin Dino's father, hopefully he has a lot of time to spend at the altitude he is going BEFORE he exerts a lot. That will help.
For Terrapin, you will mostly likely have your toughest time the first night. The nights get easier as you go. You may have a consistent low grade headache like someone said. It may linger most of the time. I take aspirin when that happens.

You may get pretty winded but it won't be a problem if you are in good shape.
My first trip to the JMT in '90, went with my younger brother and and an older man. My brother and i had no problems but the old guy was hurting. He was out of shape though to begin with. that makes a big difference.

Try to sleep low like Bearpaw says. That's the key. I've slept at some high altitudes and know now that anything above 16,000' is a poor nights sleep, especially the first night. At those altitudes, you (me anyway) wake up in the middle of the night gasping for breath thinking your not going to make it cause there's no air. Once you know that it is going to happen and you don't panic, it goes away fairly quickly. I doubt you're going to have that phenomenom in the Sierras unless you sleep on top of Whitney (which is no loner legal) You're not going that far anyway.

That'll be a beautiful hike, just slow down and take lots of pics whenever you feel winded. ENjoy.

The Solemates
07-21-2008, 10:57
I havent been able to figure it out.

I've only been sick from altitude sickness once. And that was at a mere 11,000 feet.

Other times, I have felt 100% over 14,000 feet.

Must have been something I ate, but to be fair its also only one of a handful of times that I've spent the night that high instead of dayhiking up, summiting, and coming down.

MOWGLI
07-21-2008, 11:03
I havent been able to figure it out.

I've only been sick from altitude sickness once. And that was at a mere 11,000 feet.

Me too. But I figured it out. Going from sea level to the Andes, and trying to climb a 11,000' peak within 48 hours of being in country, is a really dumb idea.

Seeing the Andrean Condor made it worth the misery though.

rafe
07-21-2008, 16:06
Whatever!! Called Inyo NF this morning, got two permits, so we're good to go. Not sure how far we'll go, but we're going! Woo hoo. :sun I figure at the very least we'll make it from Mammoth to Bishop Pass. With luck, maybe Kearsage Pass. Now to order bear canisters. :D

mudhead
07-21-2008, 17:41
Check on renting a bearcan.

Jim Adams
07-22-2008, 11:28
I was above 10,000 feet for 9 days just going slow and shooting a ton of photos. No headache problems, ran short of breath and took short rests with exertion but the big problem was a loss of appetite. I drank alot of fluids both water and electrolyte suppliments but just couldn't eat. I averaged either a few small slices of pepperoni or 1 granola bar /24hrs. I couldn't eat any more than that and weakness set in quickly. Just blah...no energy.

geek

Mzee
07-22-2008, 11:57
I live at sea level (central Ca.) and find I'm ok up to 9,000 ft. Above that and I start to feel it. What works for me is to spend a night or two at elevation (8,500 or higher) before starting to hike. It takes me three days to acclimate, then I'm OK.

In the Tuolumne Mdw area, you can drive to Saddlebag Lake. There is a resort there with a campground at 10,000 ft. I've never stayed in the campground, but I've hiked the 20 Lakes Basin from there. I always thought it would be a great place to acclimate. Just drive up to 10,000 ft and relax in camp for a day or two before starting a hike.

The most important thing is to stay hydrated. Drink even if you don't feel like it. My little saying is 'DAPA' - it stands for 'Drink A lot, Pee A lot'. Take it easy the first few days. Don't be too proud to get to lower altitude if medical conditions warrant.

It's also been my experience that there are some people whose bodies just cannot handle altitude. I knew a teen who was in great shape and could hike circles around me at lower elevations, but felt really miserable above 5,000 ft. Some bodies are just not able to handle elevation.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-22-2008, 12:40
If it was my father with those medical conditions, I'd seek a second opinion from an MD.Dad's doc went to med school with a guy that practices in Colorado and Dad's doc is contacting him for recommendations. Having met my Dad, you realize just how elderly he is - I hope I am able to hike when I'm his age.

wilconow
07-22-2008, 12:50
It's also been my experience that there are some people whose bodies just cannot handle altitude. I knew a teen who was in great shape and could hike circles around me at lower elevations, but felt really miserable above 5,000 ft. Some bodies are just not able to handle elevation.

Yeah, I only have one experience with altitude.. three years ago in SW Colorado and I was +40 lbs. I felt pretty rough, considering it was just a day hike. Near Ouray, I think between 10000 / 11000 ft

Obviously I'm in much better shape now, but when choosing a long backpacking trip out west this year, I was quite hesitant to go over 9000 ft. I would certainly hope what happened a few years ago was mainly due to being out of shape, but from what I read, I'm not sure

Since I won't have time to acclimate, I'm playing it safe and going to Washington.. never above 7000 ft sounds good to me

Geo.
07-26-2008, 21:19
Some folk seem to have a better tolerance to altitude than others. I'm a coastal dweller but I didn't notice any affects of altitude on the PCT anywhere at all. Although, doing a thru-hike I suppose you are 'easing' yourself into it so the advice of 'climatising' for a day or so could be wise if altitude affects you. I've also heard that taking vitamins A,C and E may help alleviate symptoms.
I don't think it's an exclusively fitness governed thing - I know a keen and fit mountaineer who always feels the effects of altitude once he passes 10,000ft.
If you suffer from it, I guess the best thing is to climatise, hydrate, carry as little weight as possible, take your time, and swallow a few vitamins! :)