PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum and need info.

bigjenz
02-29-2004, 00:38
I just joined and would like info on the AT where it crosses I-40 at exit 451 in Tennessee. the only map I have is the GSMNP map. I am going to hike from the above location to New Found Gap the last of April. Please let me know anything. Thanks

Mark

azchipka
02-29-2004, 02:07
Maps? What are maps? I thought we where supposed to just follow the little white rectangles, no body said anything to me about needing a map. what do these map things do, it sounds like another way to add more weight to my pack.

Welcome to the forum, what kind of info are you looking for about the section. Are you looking for more of these map things you talked about or you want general details about the trail. Since the entire area you are planning on hiking in is within the park you can find a good deal of information on the area the the nps website www.nps.gov/gsmnp/gsmsite/home/ There are some decent side trails in in the area right around the trail that will allow you to see some of the sites in the park as well.

bobgessner57
02-29-2004, 10:17
If you plan to leave a car at that end of your trip take it up to Big Creek Ranger Station. There are several good parking areas by the station or up the road a short ways. There are some great side trails that go from the safe parking areas up to the AT that are worth exploring on their own merits.

The trail is easy to find at the road crossing. Just come off I-40 and follow the signs to the park. The trail crosses the river on the same bridge you will drive on. The rest is simple. Should be a great trip.

The Old Fhart
02-29-2004, 18:15
the CAROLINA MOUNTAIN CLUB maintains the section from Davenport Gap north and may be able to help you with info around I-40. Try e-mailing questions to: [email protected]
The outfitter in Gatlinburg www.happyhiker.com may be able to help at the Newfound Gap end with shuttles, info, etc.
The Appalachian Trail Conference www.appalachiantrail.org has a guidebook with maps covering the area and the ATC may have names of people in the area who would help as well.
Hope this is of some help.