PDA

View Full Version : North Georgia WhiteBlaze hike 9/19-9/21, 2008

Bulldawg
07-20-2008, 22:28
Well, my good friend Bloodmountainman starting putting this hike together himself. And I am in no way, shape, or form taking it away from him. But I did tell him I would post an announcement in here to get the hike off the Coosa Thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27600&highlight=Coosa) that is so full.

This hike will start on Friday, September 19th, 2008. The tentative plan is that we meet at the Byron Herbert Reece parking lot Friday around lunch. If we have enough people, we will shuttle a truck or two back down to Vogel State Park.

After the shuttle we will leave the Reece parking lot for the summit of Blood 2.4 miles away. Depending on popular consensus, we may or may not spend the night on Blood. We might go on to the Slaughter Creek sites, 1.1 miles from the summit.

Saturday we plan on leaving the AT at the northern terminus of the Duncan Ridge Trail. We will follow the DRT which will join the Coosa at Wolf Pen Gap. We will try to take the Coosa on to Calf Stomp Gap Saturday. This would make for 7.2 miles Saturday if we camp at Slaughter or 8.3 if we camp on Blood.

Then Sunday we will wrap it up heading on into Vogel heading clockwise on the Coosa Backcountry Trail, about 6.1 miles from Calf Stomp Gap. Then we can use the shuttle trucks left at Vogel to get back to the Reece lot further up the mountain.

Short miles on some pretty decent trails should make for an interesting trip. Contact via this thread and keep this thread on your radar for developements. BTW, the mileages are estimates. I came up with them using the AT guide, Dances with Mice's Duncan Ridge Guide, and GADNR's Coosa guide. It may be further, it may not be this far.

Thanks go out to Bloodmountainman (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=12807) for conjuring up the idea for this hike!!!

Bulldawg
07-20-2008, 23:03

bloodmountainman
07-21-2008, 06:05
Thanks to BULLDAWG for moving this to the Hooking Up Forum.
As I posted in the Coosa Backcountry Thread this hike will be a Blue blaze extravaganda incrporating several trails, to make a long loop.

The plan to have a shuttle car at Vogel State Park is a good idea, but if everyone is up for it the hike can continue up and out of the park and back over Blood Mt. to the Byron Reece parking lot. It would extend the hike and add on to the mileage. It's an open option.

I realize Friday the 19 of Sept. is a work day for many (pay day for most!) , so everyone might not be able to make it around noon. We will still have plenty of daylight this time of year, so those that can , plan on the short hike up on Blood , for Friday night camp. It would make a great meeting spot! As the date nears we can confirm who will be up there for Friday night camp. For those who will not be able to make it on the 19th, start from Vogel on Saturday , take the counter-clockwise route and hook up at the Saturday night camp ,somewhere between Calf- Stomp Gap and Coosa Bald.

I live close by and plan to make a cache of libations we can pick-up for Saturday night. I will secure some of North Ga.'s fine muscadine wine and any other future suggestions.

Keep in mind you MUST get a backcountry permit from the camp office at Vogel.

This should be a fun hike and a good chance to meet our Whiteblaze neighbors on the last weekend of summer.
Happy Trails, Bloodmountainman:D

Two Speed
07-21-2008, 07:02
Pencil me in. With any luck I can bail out of work a little early and make camp Friday night.

Bulldawg
07-21-2008, 07:52
Speaking of libations, the Japanesse Beetles got all my muscadines this year, but I do have some 2006 Blackberry Wine I made, so BMM, let me add that to your cache. Just be sure someone brings a corkscrew. I think for me the shuttle will be needed. I don't know if I want to be getting home late Sunday night and have to attempt to head back to work Monday morning. But, to each his own for sure.

Ghosthiker
07-21-2008, 17:06
I think I'll try and make this one. Sounds like a good trip.

HikerRanky
07-21-2008, 17:40
Hey Folks,

Can a TN WhiteBlazer join in on this hike?

Randy

bloodmountainman
07-21-2008, 18:07
Hey Folks,

Randy

Speaking for myself, it would be an honor to have you join in . :welcome

Grandma
07-21-2008, 19:15
As I said on the other tread, I might be able to make it. Should not be a problem right now, but we'll see as the date nears. I know I would be able to leave Saturday morning and meet up with you, but it's the Friday thing I am not sure of.

Bulldawg
07-21-2008, 21:03
As I said on the other tread, I might be able to make it. Should not be a problem right now, but we'll see as the date nears. I know I would be able to leave Saturday morning and meet up with you, but it's the Friday thing I am not sure of.

What time do you shag out in Roswell? There is still lots of daylight in September. Plus, you could night hike up to Blood if you wanted. Or Saturday would work. I am FAR FROM A SPEED HIKER and you might could catch me by starting Saturday.

What I myself REALLY want to do is do supper on Blood. Watch the sunset from Blood. Then head down towards Slaughter Gap to make camp. Since I hammock, there are more spots there. But I think now I will just see what the general consensus is that evening.

I am pretty stoked about this entire hike.

Sir-P-Alot
07-21-2008, 21:15
I am in.

Grandma
07-21-2008, 23:02
What time do you shag out in Roswell? There is still lots of daylight in September. Plus, you could night hike up to Blood if you wanted. Or Saturday would work. I am FAR FROM A SPEED HIKER and you might could catch me by starting Saturday.

What I myself REALLY want to do is do supper on Blood. Watch the sunset from Blood. Then head down towards Slaughter Gap to make camp. Since I hammock, there are more spots there. But I think now I will just see what the general consensus is that evening.

I am pretty stoked about this entire hike.

It all depends on what time I sneak out of work. It takes me about an 1:15 to get to Mtn. Crossings with no traffic. NB on 400 isn't fun on Friday if I get out of there late. My guess is that I could make it most of the way before I throw on the headlamp. It really shouldn't be a problem, but with two kids and a pregnant wife, anything could pop up the day of.

I think the walk sounds like a lot of fun, and seeing some new faces sounds even better. Hope it all comes together for me.

goose1
07-21-2008, 23:19
I would like to make this hike. Friday lunch will not be a problem but I will need to shuttle on Sunday since Vidalia is 5 hrs from Vogel. My jeep will hold 5 people so any one that wants a ride back to BHR parking lot is welcome.
I'm looking foward to this hike.

Bulldawg
07-21-2008, 23:30
I would like to make this hike. Friday lunch will not be a problem but I will need to shuttle on Sunday since Vidalia is 5 hrs from Vogel. My jeep will hold 5 people so any one that wants a ride back to BHR parking lot is welcome.
I'm looking foward to this hike.

Awesome, we'll plan on using your Jeep right now then. I am in a similar situation as you, except it isn't the drive, it's the rest time I will need to recoup!!!:eek:

It takes me about 30 minutes to get to BHR lot, but I still don't want to get home at 6 and have to be at work 12 hours later!

goose1
07-21-2008, 23:37
Sounds like a plan.

Ghosthiker
07-22-2008, 09:40
Well, I just put in for a vacation day for the 19th, so I am good. I have a Jeep Cherokee for the shuttle operation.

Bulldawg, I probably would prefer Slaughter Gap for camping, too. But I'm open to the group's choice.

Bulldawg
07-22-2008, 09:46
Well, I just put in for a vacation day for the 19th, so I am good. I have a Jeep Cherokee for the shuttle operation.

Bulldawg, I probably would prefer Slaughter Gap for camping, too. But I'm open to the group's choice.

Right, the bear population was pretty ramped up the last time I was on the southwest side of Blood, so I think cooking and eating on top, checking out the sunset on top, then heading down to Slaughter or somewhere thereabouts for the night is a great plan. Some people get all twisted up when you talk about hanging a hammock on top of Blood. Plus there aren't that many places to do it up there. I don't have a really nice headlamp, but this would be a good excuse to get one. I'll bring the homemade blackberry wine for the Friday sunset if someone else will carry it.

Ghosthiker
07-22-2008, 10:50
Just found out that I can only get 1/2 day on that Friday, so I'll be leaving Woodstock area about 12. Anyone commuting from this direction and want to hook up?

Bulldawg
07-22-2008, 10:51
Ghost, I don't think we will be leaving from BHR Lot until 2 or 3 anyway. Right BMM?

Bulldawg
07-22-2008, 10:55
Hey Folks,

Randy

I already have you down to contribute to BMM's Saturday cache.

Ghosthiker
07-22-2008, 11:00
Ghost, I don't think we will be leaving from BHR Lot until 2 or 3 anyway. Right BMM?

Perfect! :banana

Two Speed
07-22-2008, 11:02
Just found out that I can only get 1/2 day on that Friday, so I'll be leaving Woodstock area about 12. Anyone commuting from this direction and want to hook up?Make me a tentative on that shuttle thingy.

Bulldawg
07-22-2008, 11:07
Make me a tentative on that shuttle thingy.

Will Barney be attending this hike? I am considering my lab. Not sure yet.

Two Speed
07-22-2008, 11:12
Oh yeah, Barney will be with me. Very rare that I go hiking without the little screwball. :)

Bulldawg
07-22-2008, 11:18
Oh yeah, Barney will be with me. Very rare that I go hiking without the little screwball. :)

I sort of figured that was the case. I gotta decide on mine. She is doing pretty good. Just get a little rambunctious at times. Plus I am not sure of what to do with her at night since I hammock.

Grandma
07-22-2008, 11:22
I sort of figured that was the case. I gotta decide on mine. She is doing pretty good. Just get a little rambunctious at times. Plus I am not sure of what to do with her at night since I hammock.

Guess you will have to make her a hammock as well. :-?

Bulldawg
07-22-2008, 11:23

You gotta know I thought about making her one. I am not sure what to make it out of though. I thought about a small denim one.

bloodmountainman
07-22-2008, 11:30
That sounds about right, but a little too early for those logistics. We'll work on that about Sept. 1. Slaughter Gap camp sounds good to me...... close to a water source.

Ghosthiker
07-22-2008, 12:59
Make me a tentative on that shuttle thingy.

You want to ride with me? :eek:

JK, glad to have you. and Barney is welcome, too.

Ghosthiker
07-22-2008, 13:00

How about a "pup" tent? :D

bloodmountainman
07-22-2008, 13:04
How about a "pup" tent? :D
I'm still laughing!!! that was perfect.

Grandma
07-22-2008, 15:22
That was funny! Ghosthiker, we missed you Saturday night.

Ghosthiker
07-22-2008, 21:27
I missed it too, but I'll be at the next one.

Bulldawg
07-22-2008, 21:28
I missed it too, but I'll be at the next one.

Who is in charge of planning the next one?

Ghosthiker
07-23-2008, 06:29
I thought that you were.

Two Speed
07-23-2008, 06:43
:clap:sun:bseBulldawg has the golden sceptre!:bse:sun:clap

(Sceptor? Scepter? Ah, the heck with it. The gold thingy with the biiiig rubber doo-dad on the end.)

Grandma
07-23-2008, 08:53
Geez, planing the next one already? This thing is picking up speed. :banana

Two Speed
07-23-2008, 09:39
Well, we have an artist commissioned to make our scepter for us. Be a shame to waste that effort, wouldn't it?

MamaCat
07-23-2008, 09:42
Hey Guys,

Was wondering where the water sources are for this hike. I know slaughter creek on the side of blood -- possibility though that it is dry in sept. What are the sources for the DRT / Coosa portions? Thanks. Don't know if I can do this yet. It might be a little much for building up after foot problem. If I can't make it, I might do it on my own later 'cause it sounds fun!

Bulldawg
07-23-2008, 15:10
Hey Guys,

Was wondering where the water sources are for this hike. I know slaughter creek on the side of blood -- possibility though that it is dry in sept. What are the sources for the DRT / Coosa portions? Thanks. Don't know if I can do this yet. It might be a little much for building up after foot problem. If I can't make it, I might do it on my own later 'cause it sounds fun!

Funny you should ask that question. I just finished piecing together a map of the hike. The three trails in the hike are all three different colors. See what you think. It is attached and sized for printing on regular paper.

goose1
07-23-2008, 15:48
Funny you should ask that question. I just finished piecing together a map of the hike. The three trails in the hike are all three different colors. See what you think. It is attached and sized for printing on regular paper.

I have ben looking for a better map than the park service has. Good job Bulldawg:banana

Two Speed
07-23-2008, 15:52
That is nice work. Now if I can get my :p:(:mad::eek:ing printer to behave all will be good on Planet Two Speed

MamaCat
07-23-2008, 21:26
That is really good work! If I remember right, the H2O sources are going to be Slaughter Creek, then none 'til Calf Stomp, then you cross a few small streams then next mostly reliable source will be the foot bridge on Coosa Backcountry then after crossing 180 at Burnett Gap, there is a big stream inside Vogel State Park Land. So..... the biggest factor is if Slaughter Creek is flowing. Whether I go or not, I can call a few folks for you guys before hand to check water.

Bulldawg
07-23-2008, 21:36
That is really good work! If I remember right, the H2O sources are going to be Slaughter Creek, then none 'til Calf Stomp, then you cross a few small streams then next mostly reliable source will be the foot bridge on Coosa Backcountry then after crossing 180 at Burnett Gap, there is a big stream inside Vogel State Park Land. So..... the biggest factor is if Slaughter Creek is flowing. Whether I go or not, I can call a few folks for you guys before hand to check water.

I think you are right on the water. There will be water headed out of BHR Lot, shouldn't need water there. Then water at Slaughter. I was there about 4 or 5 weeks ago. There was water, but you had better be REAL patient if you want a lot. Then there is water at Wolfpen Gap I think, a bit of a hike to get it though I think. Then there is water in that creek headed down Coosa, just before you get to Calf Stomp. Then there is no water until the foot bridge. I think that is West Fork of Wolf Creek or something like that. There is a stream that flows across the trail just before Burnett Gap. Then of course all the water you could ever drink in Wolf Creek inside the park.

We have had several really nice storms these last few nights. If this continues, the streams should be really well charged.

I may try to put water markers on the map later tonight.

Grandma
07-23-2008, 21:43
You da man Bulldawg!

Bulldawg
07-24-2008, 00:03
OK, here is water on the map. Feel free to ask me to add or make corrections as needed.

bloodmountainman
07-24-2008, 15:05
The upside to a downsided economy is , if you don't have work, go hiking! I took the oppurtunity today and went to have a look at the water flow and possible camp sites at Slaughter Gap.
The water at Slaughter Gap is just a seep, but flowing. It will take some patience and work but water can be had. The only established campsite at Slaughter is rather small... maybe room enough for up to four campers. We may have to spread ourselves out a bit on Friday night. Lots of campites south of the Duncan Ridge intersection . The water source at the Slaughter Gap Creek trail intersection is down to a seep also.
It was a fine morning to be out and I had a great exploratory trip.
Walked right up on a feeding deer and we looked each other over. She was not the least concerned about me and went right on eating as if I wasn't there.
We'll keep our fingers crossed about the water situation between now and Sept. I'll go back and update sometime in August.
Looking forward to the hike"
Bloodmountainman:D

Bulldawg
07-31-2008, 18:33
Bump this baby up just a bit.

bloodmountainman
07-31-2008, 18:50
Bump this baby up just a bit.
Getting anxious to go? Been awful hot ..... but I've been getting a couple hours in the mornings....in and out stuff. Workdays a little cut these days, so I can keep my trail legs up!

Bulldawg
07-31-2008, 18:53
Heck yes, I have not officially hiked in 5 weeks. Its too darned hot. I am going to do some hiking next weekend. I'll give you details a little later.

goose1
07-31-2008, 19:53
Can hardly wait. Going some where before September. Don't know when or where yet.

Bulldawg
07-31-2008, 20:55
Well guys, believe it or not, I am bailing on this one now. There is a concert I have been promising to take my kids too. The guy is sort of small time, usually only plays bars, and my kids not being 21, can't go. So I had promised them over a year ago if he ever came somewhere close that was all ages, they could go. So anyway, he is in Athens at Legion Field on 9-19, my daughter knows about it, she knows it is all ages, so I have to go. I hate it, I might try to catch up with you guys somewhere Saturday.

Grandma
07-31-2008, 23:03
Well guys, believe it or not, I am bailing on this one now. There is a concert I have been promising to take my kids too. The guy is sort of small time, usually only plays bars, and my kids not being 21, can't go. So I had promised them over a year ago if he ever came somewhere close that was all ages, they could go. So anyway, he is in Athens at Legion Field on 9-19, my daughter knows about it, she knows it is all ages, so I have to go. I hate it, I might try to catch up with you guys somewhere Saturday.

A long ride back from Jacksonville, 500 miles from a game that we should have won. Man we ought to burn down that stadium. Thought this year was going to be ours, talkin too much junk in them FL bars, and now I'm stunned. Man I wish it was 1981!

Love some Corey Smith! Well, maybe you can hook up with us Saturday evening.

Bulldawg
07-31-2008, 23:04
A long ride back from Jacksonville, 500 miles from a game that we should have won. Man we ought to burn down that stadium. Thought this year was going to be ours, talkin too much junk in them FL bars, and now I'm stunned. Man I wish it was 1981!

Love some Corey Smith! Well, maybe you can hook up with us Saturday evening.

Yep yep! It will be like me and the wife's 4th time to see him, but it has always been in bars. And the kids love him too, so I made the promise should he ever play somewhere close that is all ages, they could go.

Hoop
07-31-2008, 23:31
I'm looking forward to some mountain air, can't get here soon enough.

Ghosthiker
08-01-2008, 10:32
I'm ready, too!

bloodmountainman
08-01-2008, 11:08
Heck yes, I have not officially hiked in 5 weeks. Its too darned hot. I am going to do some hiking next weekend. I'll give you details a little later.
I may do a VERY early morning hike Sunday up Raven Cliffs...... try and catch some wild rainbows on Dodd Creek. Join me if you're able. Plan to hit the trail about 7:00 AM.

MoBill122
08-02-2008, 16:50
Was going to Raven Creek Falls on Thursday, then we decided to do Panther Creek Falls. Had planned to do Raven on Sunday, then that was changed to something local on the Hooch. Now it looks like I'll be staying home.... geezzzz

Bulldawg
08-02-2008, 17:31
I may do a VERY early morning hike Sunday up Raven Cliffs...... try and catch some wild rainbows on Dodd Creek. Join me if you're able. Plan to hit the trail about 7:00 AM.

Hey, sounds like a nice idea. Let me see if I stay out too late partying at the pool tonight and we will see. If I want to go, where should we plan to meet?

Phreak
08-02-2008, 17:43
Good job on the map.

bloodmountainman
08-07-2008, 18:00
Checking in to see if we are all still on for this hike. Just a little bump. May go scout out water situation in a week or two. How many do we have now?:confused:

Two Speed
08-07-2008, 18:32
I'm still a "probably." Still on for the weekend of the 19th, correct?

bloodmountainman
08-07-2008, 18:37
I'm still a "probably." Still on for the weekend of the 19th, correct?
That is correct sir!

Hoop
08-07-2008, 20:58
Looking forward to the 19th.

Ghosthiker
08-07-2008, 21:01
I'm still planning on it!! Already put in for 1/2 day off.

take-a-knee
08-07-2008, 21:09
If I'm out of jail by then I might be able to make it.:-?

Two Speed
08-07-2008, 22:00
I ain't gonna ask what got ya locked up because you might tell me. However, shoot a PM if you need bail or a character reference. Bail money ain't unlimited, but I can certainly swear to the fact you're a character.

bloodmountainman
08-07-2008, 22:00
If I'm out of jail by then I might be able to make it.:-?
Well I have to ask......What'a in for kid?:confused:

Two Speed
08-07-2008, 22:01
Who's taking bets on littering?

Skidsteer
08-07-2008, 22:17
Who's taking bets on littering?

Shell casings maybe. :D

Two Speed
08-08-2008, 05:31
Mmm, I rather suspect t-a-k reloads, so he probably picks his brass up. Tobacco juice, maybe?

:-?

Come to think of it, I still don't want to know. :cool:

take-a-knee
08-08-2008, 07:48
Well I have to ask......What'a in for kid?:confused:

I'm a victim of my ignorance of GA's " Move Over Law". If an emergency vehicle is parked on the shoulder of a 4-lane road with it's lights on (any, fire, police, EMS), you are required by law to make a proper lane change into the left (away from the vehicle) lane. Not being a scofflaw like most I typically drive the speed limit. While passing through Commerce GA the other day I saw two stopped cop cars ahead, to me this usually means a drug/felony stop, usually with a K-9 unit. I was doing 55mph so I slowed to about 40mph (WAY slower than the flow of traffic on US441 south of I-85) and I hugged the centerline away from the stopped cars. I called myself shielding Rin-tin-tin from getting run over by some idiot blowing by me on right. I was wrong, it was a revenue enhancement stop. I go to court on Sept 3rd. The max fine allowable by GA law is $500. I'll likely be eating jailhouse food if I get slammed with that.

take-a-knee
08-08-2008, 07:51
Mmm, I rather suspect t-a-k reloads, so he probably picks his brass up. Tobacco juice, maybe?

:-?

Come to think of it, I still don't want to know. :cool:

I do reload, I don't chew/dip, and I never litter (LNT remember). Tobacco isn't healthy, it does make a good lawn pesticide though.

Two Speed
08-08-2008, 07:53
Not trying to stir the pot, but I was under the impression that the "Move Over" law included stipulations about being able to make the lane change safely, slowing down, etc. Maybe I don't understand, but I was also under the impression that slowing well below the speed limit satisfied that particular law.

I'm speculating here, but that stop sounds like utter BS to me.

Ghosthiker
08-08-2008, 07:56
It does, TS. If there was traffic in the other lane, he should be able to argue that fact.

take-a-knee
08-08-2008, 08:05
Not trying to stir the pot, but I was under the impression that the "Move Over" law included stipulations about being able to make the lane change safely, slowing down, etc. Maybe I don't understand, but I was also under the impression that slowing well below the speed limit satisfied that particular law.

I'm speculating here, but that stop sounds like utter BS to me.

Slowing down doesn't satisfy the law, at least according to the gendarmes in Commerce GA. Govt revenues are dropping with the reccession, this is an attempt to make a buck on the part of some municipalities, IMO. Well see. The cops told me there are signs regarding this law "everywhere". An internet search revealed press releases from two Atlanta metro counties that started putting signs up a few months ago. I seldom go to Atlanta, if ever.

Two Speed
08-08-2008, 08:09
t-a-k, am I correct in my understanding that these two patrol cars were set up solely to issue tickets on the "Move Over" law? If so, what emergency?

Ain't teeing off on you, but if my assumptions correct, you're right. That was revenue enhancement, pure and simple.

goose1
08-08-2008, 09:17
I'm still in.:sun

take-a-knee
08-08-2008, 10:02
t-a-k, am I correct in my understanding that these two patrol cars were set up solely to issue tickets on the "Move Over" law? If so, what emergency?

Ain't teeing off on you, but if my assumptions correct, you're right. That was revenue enhancement, pure and simple.

They did have another vehicle stopped when I passed them. The rear cop car immeadiately pulled in behind me and stopped me. What they had the other guy stopped for I can't say. It does look like that's what they were doing. A perusal of internet forums suggests this is becoming common, they can sock you for a higher fine for this than speeding. The law's intent is too protect public servants, many have been run over, crippled, and killed. My actions endangered no one however.

The whole safety problem stems from unsafe practices on the part of law enforcement in the first place. GA has some lousy road shoulders, most state highways don't have an emergency lane (ask any cyclist). In spite of this cops will pull someone over and stop them on a narrow shoulder, often with a guardrail in the way of pulling off properly. The intent is a "show of force" on the roadside. All this in the name of "public safety".

max patch
08-08-2008, 10:06
Water at AT and Slaughter Creek Trail was just a seep last weekend.

Grandma
08-08-2008, 12:29
I should still be able to walk with you guys on the 19th.

Turtle2
08-16-2008, 18:31
Is the hike still on? If so, count me in.

Ghosthiker
08-16-2008, 20:49
It should still be a go, Turtle2.

bloodmountainman
08-16-2008, 22:57
Hike is still a go! Meet on summit of Blood Mt. or Byron Reece Trailhead Friday Sept. 19 . Exact time not yet established.

Bulldawg
08-17-2008, 20:26
Slowing down doesn't satisfy the law, at least according to the gendarmes in Commerce GA. Govt revenues are dropping with the reccession, this is an attempt to make a buck on the part of some municipalities, IMO. Well see. The cops told me there are signs regarding this law "everywhere". An internet search revealed press releases from two Atlanta metro counties that started putting signs up a few months ago. I seldom go to Atlanta, if ever.

The "LAW" in Commerce is pretty hmmmmm.... crooked is not the right word, but they have their own way of interpreting the law. Fight this thing, act respectful, and you should be OK.

Bulldawg
08-17-2008, 20:29
Hike is still a go! Meet on summit of Blood Mt. or Byron Reece Trailhead Friday Sept. 19 . Exact time not yet established.

Where is the first road crossing where I can safely leave my truck Saturday morning? Like I said earlier, Friday is a no go, but I want to catch you guys Saturday at the first road crossing. I am thinking the FS road at Wildcat Gap. I don't feel safe leaving my truck at Wolfpen Gap.

tucker0104
08-18-2008, 07:41
take a knee I got the same ticket in St. Marys, GA and it was 780 dollars even though the state says the max fine is 500 they get away with the rest in "court fees". I took it to court because I slowed down to 20 because there was traffic next to me and I was found guilty by the back country judge.

tucker0104
08-18-2008, 07:41
If ya'll don't mind, I would love to tag along for the weekend hike.

bloodmountainman
08-18-2008, 08:36
Where is the first road crossing where I can safely leave my truck Saturday morning? Like I said earlier, Friday is a no go, but I want to catch you guys Saturday at the first road crossing. I am thinking the FS road at Wildcat Gap. I don't feel safe leaving my truck at Wolfpen Gap.
Wildcat Gap would be a good spot for the truck. It would probably take 2 hours to hike down from Blood or Slaughter. If you can't make it Friday, try and plan on hiking around and back up Blood...... make some miles out of it!

Bulldawg
08-18-2008, 08:40
Wildcat Gap would be a good spot for the truck. It would probably take 2 hours to hike down from Blood or Slaughter. If you can't make it Friday, try and plan on hiking around and back up Blood...... make some miles out of it!

I am going to a concert in Athens Friday night and probably will not be home until 1 or 2 Saturday morning. I will just try to be at Wildcat at 10AM or so and start hiking when the first person comes through.

Two Speed
08-18-2008, 08:43
If ya'll don't mind, I would love to tag along for the weekend hike.Well, c'mon.

Hey Bulldawg, I forget, are we going to invoke our usual "no drinking within one mile of a shelter" rule?

Bulldawg
08-18-2008, 08:46
Well, c'mon.

Hey Bulldawg, I forget, are we going to invoke our usual "no drinking within one mile of a shelter" rule?

That is correct sir. Folks, as usual on the Coosa type hikes we will be invoking our standard rule of no imbibing of alcoholic products within one mile of the shelter. So if you must imbibe, you must do so within one mile of the shelter.

I will not be around Friday to enforce this policy, so I am relying on Two Speed to do so!

Two Speed
08-18-2008, 08:49
That is correct sir. Folks, as usual on the Coosa type hikes we will be invoking our standard rule of no imbibing of alcoholic products within one mile of the shelter. So if you must imbibe, you must do so within one mile of the shelter.I think that post needs a little work.

Emphasis added by resident wise guy.

Bulldawg
08-18-2008, 09:08
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this. For those of you who are new to the WB Coosa hikes, this will also be a bigfoot expedition. But unlike those guys down in Atlanta, we will not be charging $500 to go with us on this hike. However, if you wish to make a donation, my truck will be parked at the Wildcat Gap crossing and you can leave all your donations under the driver's side rear wheel. You will not be disappointed if you leave a donation, because Bigfoot will be in camp with us Saturday night! He is a really friendly guy. But he is a little pissed since those guys from Atlanta took his brother and put him in that freezer. It will VERY important to let him know we are in no way affiliated with those guys Saturday night.

Turtle2
08-20-2008, 23:47
Sounds like this is going to be a very interesting hike! Can't wait!

Mrs Baggins
08-21-2008, 07:18
Tempting! Very tempting! I'm 4 hours from where you'd meet up but I could get there in time. Where you'd leave the cars........is it safe???? Don't want to come back to find my car broken into. :eek:

Two Speed
08-21-2008, 07:35
I think the plan is to leave the cars at Bryon Reece parking lot. Haven't heard of any issues with cars being broken into there.

Bulldawg
08-21-2008, 07:36
I think the plan is to leave the cars at Bryon Reece parking lot. Haven't heard of any issues with cars being broken into there.

I've never left one there overnight, but have left one there for 7 or 8 hours with no issues.

bloodmountainman
08-21-2008, 09:48
Tempting! Very tempting! I'm 4 hours from where you'd meet up but I could get there in time. Where you'd leave the cars........is it safe???? Don't want to come back to find my car broken into. :eek:
Two safe options for parking... Byron Reece Trailhead or Vogel State Park. Vogel charges a small parking fee. Car will safe in either location. Depends on where you want to end the loop. Remember a backcountry permit is required, and must be obtained at Vogel. I intend to begin and end the hike at Byron Reece. We will pass through Vogel on the way back up and over Blood Mt.

Bulldawg
08-21-2008, 10:14
What's the head count thus far?

bloodmountainman
08-21-2008, 10:22
What's the head count thus far?
I've counted 12 so far, with a couple of maybes. A small army of White Blazers!

Bulldawg
08-21-2008, 10:25
I've counted 12 so far, with a couple of maybes. A small army of White Blazers!

Exactly, is there room for everybody at Calf Stomp Saturday night?

Two Speed
08-21-2008, 10:34
One head per hiker is the norm. :p

Two Speed
08-21-2008, 10:36
Exactly, is there room for everybody at Calf Stomp Saturday night?Should be. There's more camping there than you can see from the trail/road intersection. I'm calling dibs on the campsite at the farthest from the road!

Grandma
08-21-2008, 10:52
Two safe options for parking... Byron Reece Trailhead or Vogel State Park. Vogel charges a small parking fee. Car will safe in either location. Depends on where you want to end the loop. Remember a backcountry permit is required, and must be obtained at Vogel. I intend to begin and end the hike at Byron Reece. We will pass through Vogel on the way back up and over Blood Mt.

Are you going to walk the CBT counter-clockwise from Slaughter Gap and meet up at Calf Stomp gap for camp? Since you are planing on starting and ending at the Byron Reece parking lot, I was just trying to figure out your plans.

Bulldawg
08-21-2008, 11:10
Should be. There's more camping there than you can see from the trail/road intersection. I'm calling dibs on the campsite at the farthest from the road!

All I need are two trees brother, but I want to be close to you. Your snoring puts me to sleep.:eek::eek::rolleyes::D

Bulldawg
08-21-2008, 11:13
Are you going to walk the CBT counter-clockwise from Slaughter Gap and meet up at Calf Stomp gap for camp? Since you are planing on starting and ending at the Byron Reece parking lot, I was just trying to figure out your plans.

Start at BHR lot, go over Blood to probably Slaughter for Friday night. Take DRT to CBT over Wildcat (well around it now since the reroute), over Coosa to Calf Stomp for Saturday night. Then on around through Vogle (which is where I am going to bail). I think BMM intends to take CBt out of Vogel, back to Slaughter and up and over Blood again, coming to an end at BHR lot.

Oh yeah, someone else needs to bail at Vogel so I can get to my truck at Wildcat Gap Sunday.

Grandma
08-21-2008, 11:24
I was really wondering if BMM is planing on doing the CBT clockwise. Isn't that a beast of a climb going that way? Or, is he planing on turing around and hiking the same way out? Just wondering what his plans were.

bloodmountainman
08-21-2008, 11:52
I was really wondering if BMM is planing on doing the CBT clockwise. Isn't that a beast of a climb going that way? Or, is he planing on turing around and hiking the same way out? Just wondering what his plans were.
That's my plan. Starting from Byron Reece, that would make it a clockwise hike. The climb up out of Vogel is tough but it can be done if you pace it right. Another option, instead of going back over Blood Mt., is the Freeman Trail, that goes around the summit and down to Byron Reece parking lot. That all depends on how I'm feeling on Sunday. Muscadine wine will involved Saturday night, after all! ( Probably not enough to do any serious damage, however) I have missed out on my yearly long hikes this year, so I'm trying to make this one as long as possible. When I get more time I'll post a list of "names".

Grandma
08-21-2008, 12:29
That's what I figured you were talking about. Thanks!

I'm glad we have such a large group going, as it will keep the sasquatch away. Man, those are highly evolved mammals! They molt their skin and it turns to rubber, and their fur turns syntetic. That way we will think it is a hoax. BRILLIANT!

Two Speed
08-21-2008, 12:35
Hmmm, who woulda believed any of Bulldawg's relatives could be that smart? :-?

bloodmountainman
08-21-2008, 12:53
Hmmm, who woulda believed any of Bulldawg's relatives could be that smart? :-?
Probably a few UGA graduates in the family. :D

bloodmountainman
08-21-2008, 12:57
Everyone post your plans for this expedition, in the next few weeks. I figure camping spots will be on individual preferences. We can't get to bad lost and separated on a loop trail!:eek:

Bulldawg
08-21-2008, 13:13
Probably a few UGA graduates in the family. :D

UGA is a great school. I mean, just look where we ranked in the party school index......

Right up there in the top 10!! Heck my company asked me about working down there in Athens. No way I could work in Athens. I'd be divorced, broke, and an alcoholic if I had to go to Athens daily. It is bad enough on 6 Saturdays a year in the fall!!!

adventurousmtnlvr
08-21-2008, 13:23
count me in ! :)

bloodmountainman
08-21-2008, 13:52
UGA is a great school. I mean, just look where we ranked in the party school index......

Right up there in the top 10!! Heck my company asked me about working down there in Athens. No way I could work in Athens. I'd be divorced, broke, and an alcoholic if I had to go to Athens daily. It is bad enough on 6 Saturdays a year in the fall!!!
My dad was a Ga. Tech graduate, and he was a BullDawg fan.
Good thing you didn't take the job in Athens!
Go Dawgs

bloodmountainman
08-21-2008, 13:53
count me in ! :)
Need one more to break 13. Or should we count Bigfoot?:eek:

Two Speed
08-21-2008, 13:57
Probably should. If he doesn't show up Bart the bear is almost certain to.

bloodmountainman
08-21-2008, 17:37
Looking back thru the thread these are our cast of characters for the AT, DRT,CBT, hikeathon.
Bloodmountainman (yours truely)
Bulldawg (we'll pick him up on Saturday... asleep in his truck)
Two speed and Barney the Wonder Dog
Grandma
Ghosthiker
Hoop Rat
Take-a-Knee (if he is a free man at the time)
Turtle 2
Tucker 0104
Goose1
Hiker Ranky
Adventurousmtnlvr
Mrs.Baggins (maybe)
Mamma Cat (maybe)
Possible guest apperances by Bart the Bear and his close friend Bigfoot!
I hope I didn't leave anyone out.... if so add yourself to the list
Sorry Dude....... Almost left out Sir-P-Lot

Bulldawg
08-21-2008, 20:28
How about Skids, isn't he a possible?

Two Speed
08-21-2008, 20:57
Magic eight ball says "doubtful."

MamaCat
08-21-2008, 21:17
Hi All,

I definitely can't do the hike yet. I am still working up from 5 miles on my foot. But I was thinking of car camping with you guys on Sat night. Problem is it is a worktrip for GATC which we have to be at. I needs to think on it.

Grandma
08-21-2008, 21:21
What's the water looking like? Mountain Crossings site said that there is water just below Slaughter. Anyone been out and about?

Bulldawg
08-21-2008, 21:30
Hi All,

I definitely can't do the hike yet. I am still working up from 5 miles on my foot. But I was thinking of car camping with you guys on Sat night. Problem is it is a worktrip for GATC which we have to be at. I needs to think on it.

I'm told that road at Calf Stomp is drivable in a 4WD. Do the worktrip and drive up the road to car camp.

Two Speed
08-22-2008, 05:22
Haven't been up that road recently, but unless it's been raining it should be passable in a two wheel drive pick up. Don't think a sedan's a good idea, though.

Ghosthiker
08-22-2008, 07:15
Well, bad news folks. As it stands, I won't be able to make it, either. A "family obligation" has arisen for the following weekend and I don't see where I could get two weekends off in a row. So unless I can get out of the family thing, sorry.

bloodmountainman
08-22-2008, 07:22
Haven't been up that road recently, but unless it's been raining it should be passable in a two wheel drive pick up. Don't think a sedan's a good idea, though.
That's one of those roads "angels fear to tread". I backed down and turned around on that road in May. I was in a 4 wheel drive Jeep Cherokee. Steep and narrow with large mud holes!

bloodmountainman
08-22-2008, 07:25
Well, bad news folks. As it stands, I won't be able to make it, either. A "family obligation" has arisen for the following weekend and I don't see where I could get two weekends off in a row. So unless I can get out of the family thing, sorry.
Sorry to hear this Ghost....... could happen to me at any time..... I have a large family, that needs alot of taking care of. Do what you can to make it.

max patch
08-22-2008, 08:44
What's the water looking like? Mountain Crossings site said that there is water just below Slaughter. Anyone been out and about?

Water on the Slaughter Creek Trail.

Egads
08-22-2008, 13:29
what time is everyone starting their hike?

bloodmountainman
08-22-2008, 13:38
what time is everyone starting their hike?
I'll probably be on the Summit of Bloodmountain about 6:00 PM on Friday the 19th. Get an early start on the loop Saturday, camp near Calf Stomp on Sat. (20th). Start early on Sunday for the big miles and hike back over Blood to Byron Reece. Come on up!

adventurousmtnlvr
08-23-2008, 12:03
somewhere in this thread (without going back) someone mentioned the need of a 4 wheel drive to either do or meet for this trip; so my question for anyone is 1) is that true 2) if so may I bring a guy outside WB members that has one as I do not? thanks :)

Bulldawg
08-23-2008, 12:06
No 4wd required for the hike. All trailheads are on paved roads. THe 4WD was mentioned to get up the road to the Saturday night camp.

karo
08-23-2008, 20:24
I would like to try and make this trip. I will have to take off on Friday the 19th.

Hiker Randy and Turlte2, would ya'll be interested in carpooling over there? I could meet you in Mufreesboro, TN if you are interested. I would only need to be back Monday morning for work. (Unless I can get Mon. off too)

HikerRanky
08-23-2008, 20:38
I would like to try and make this trip. I will have to take off on Friday the 19th.

Hiker Randy and Turlte2, would ya'll be interested in carpooling over there? I could meet you in Mufreesboro, TN if you are interested. I would only need to be back Monday morning for work. (Unless I can get Mon. off too)

Speaking for myself, the more the merrier...... Turtle2, what say you?

Randy

tacstar
08-24-2008, 22:40
Hello, new to the site. Is this hike open to anyone? If so I'd like to tag along.

Bulldawg
08-24-2008, 22:46
Open to anyone that can get there and that can hike!!

tacstar
08-24-2008, 22:50
Ok, cool. I've never hiked GA, and honestly have no idea where you're starting from. I'd like to meet up with someone in civilization if possible.

Bulldawg
08-24-2008, 22:56
Ok, cool. I've never hiked GA, and honestly have no idea where you're starting from. I'd like to meet up with someone in civilization if possible.

Google Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap, the Friday meeting place is actually on Blood Mountain, but if you park in the Byron Herbert Reese parking lot, you can find the Blood Mountain Summit from there. BHR parking lot is about 1/4 past Mountain Crossings. Be sure to check out the great map I created for this hike!!

tacstar
08-24-2008, 23:02
Alright, I saw the map. I think I also read that I need a permit? But, that I have to get that somewhere else? How far is the Blood Mountain summit from the parking lot?

I'll go back and review your map, maybe it answers my question(s).

Bulldawg
08-24-2008, 23:15
You need a backcountry permit from Vogel State park, which is about a mile down the mountain from Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap. The Blood summit is just shy of 3 miles from the parking area. Take the trail out of the parking area. When you get to Flatrock Gap the trail intersects both the AT and the Freeman trail. You will take a right on the AT, walking across a fairly good sized outcropping of flat rocks, thus the name of the gap.

tacstar
08-24-2008, 23:20
That makes sense. I just reread this thread and found your map and the answers I need. Sorry to sound ignorant, but I am unfamiliar with the area that apparently everyone else is familiar with :) I'll figure it out. It sounds like fun, count me in.

Two Speed
08-25-2008, 15:04
A little conflict has popped up and I'm not going to be able to make the hike.

Have fun, ya'll!

Bulldawg
08-25-2008, 16:35

Have fun, ya'll!

WHAT?? Say it ain't so?

bloodmountainman
08-25-2008, 16:40

Have fun, ya'll!
Damned popped up conflicts! We'll try to have fun, but..............

Turtle2
08-25-2008, 20:46

Happy to carpool. We will just need to finalize plans.

goose1
08-25-2008, 21:41
[quote=Bulldawg;687744]You need a backcountry permit from Vogel State park, which is about a mile down the mountain from Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap. The Blood summit is just shy of 3 miles from the parking area. Take the trail out of the parking area. When you get to Flatrock Gap the trail intersects both the AT and the Freeman trail. You will take a right on the AT, walking across a fairly good sized outcropping of flat rocks, thus the name of the gap.[/quote

Bulldawg- Do we still plan to use my jeep to shuttle from Vogel on Sunday. If so we can pickup permits then. Anyone that wants to ride with me to carry my vehicle to the Vogel parking lot, and pickup permits is welcome, we will just need a ride back to the starting point. I think 12 noon Friday was the time to meet in the BR parking lot. Is this correct?

Hoop Rat and I plan to leave Vidalia at 6AM Friday. I have to drop my wife and sister inlaw off in Atlanta. Anyone south of us that wants to meet and follow us are welcome. If wife and sister inlaw don't go we can car pool.

bloodmountainman
08-29-2008, 08:44
I'm told that road at Calf Stomp is drivable in a 4WD. Do the worktrip and drive up the road to car camp.
I will hike the Forest Service Road this weekend that goes to Calf Stomp Gap. Will post road and water conditions.

MamaCat
08-29-2008, 19:06
Thanks bloodmountainman -- I'm still thinking of car camping. We have a F-150 but only 2WD.

Bulldawg
08-29-2008, 23:27
Well folks, bad news, but mostly for me! The on call schedule for work has been changed up and I have to be on call this weekend, so I will not be making the hike. Maybe next time!

bloodmountainman
08-30-2008, 18:22
Thanks bloodmountainman -- I'm still thinking of car camping. We have a F-150 but only 2WD.
I walked the Forest Service Rd. this morning, and it's hard packed and wide open. A two-wheel drive F-150 will do fine with good tires and a well maintained cooling system. It took about an hour and ahalf to reach Calf Stomp Gap from the Forest Service gate. I tried to get actual miliage with my GPS odometer, but never got a good satellite signal.
Here are the best directions I can give. Take Hwy 129 north to Blairsville. Just past Vogel State Park, turn left on Wolf Pen Gap Rd. (Hwy 180). Approximately 1 and a half miles Turn right onto first dirt road. This is Forest Service Rd. 107. at Burnett Gap. Follow 107 to first turn on the left. Go through Forest Service gate. This road is not signed with any number. It will take you to Calf Stomp Gap. It is the only established campsite on the road.
Seemed we have had a few drop out of the hike, and I will try to get confirmation of who's still on later.
Bloodmountainman.... aka Moses:D

bloodmountainman
08-30-2008, 18:46
Well folks, bad news, but mostly for me! The on call schedule for work has been changed up and I have to be on call this weekend, so I will not be making the hike. Maybe next time!
What!!! Say it ain't so!!! You were gonna teach me the finer points of hammocking!!!
Catch you on the next one, I guess.;)

Hoop
08-30-2008, 19:09
Any hammockers going on this hike? Folks swear by them (maybe in them, too); I'd like to see the set-up, etc.

CBSSTony
09-01-2008, 18:47
I hiked up to Calf Stomp yesterday on the Forest Service Rd. It can be done in two wheel truck. Water sources were not flowing good. The spring at calf stomp was swampy, silty water at the source and obvious hog wallows too. If you go to the water source, there are two large yellow jackets right on the right side of the trail. When I went to take a picture of the spring, the nests had been dug into , and the honey comb was laying on the trail. There is also a good spot up the hill for a windier spot. Took my son and grandson with me a very nice overnighter. Water source not good at this time.None too close I could find.

Bulldawg
09-01-2008, 20:32
What!!! Say it ain't so!!! You were gonna teach me the finer points of hammocking!!!
Catch you on the next one, I guess.;)

Yep, it is so!!! Unless I quit my job between now and then, I am not gonna make this one unless I drive up the FS road and just camp, but what fun would that be??

gungho
09-04-2008, 23:16
So, who is still in? I would like to join the group either friday night or saturday morning? what kind of options do I have?

FatMan
09-04-2008, 23:21
I just saw this thread for the first time. It looks like a lot of interested parties even with some of the usual suspects dropping out. Unfortunately I will be dog sitting that weekend so I won't be able to join in the fun.

But with that said, I see many of you showing interest are coming from a pretty fair distance. If anyone would prefer to drive out the day before and spend the night I would be happy to make my house available. There is plenty of floor space, kegs on tap, the AT right out the back door if you want to take a hike, and it is about 20 minutes to Vogel. Just give me a PM and I will give directions.

And if Hoop Rat can talk Goose1 into coming up on Thurs I would be happy to set up my Hennessey and let him spend the night in it if he wants.:)

generoll
09-04-2008, 23:33
I came late to this thread and am too lazy to read all of it. Can you camp at Slaughter Gap? I thought the campsite was closed to allow regrowth due to heavy usage. Since I now have a bit of free time this might be a weekend well spent. Sorry if this issue has already been dealt with.

take-a-knee
09-05-2008, 07:50
I came late to this thread and am too lazy to read all of it. Can you camp at Slaughter Gap? I thought the campsite was closed to allow regrowth due to heavy usage. Since I now have a bit of free time this might be a weekend well spent. Sorry if this issue has already been dealt with.

IIRC there are about a dozen tent sites there, they fill up quickly on the weekends. I think it is about a mile or so south on the AT before there is a decent place to camp.

Dances with Mice
09-05-2008, 08:48
I came late to this thread and am too lazy to read all of it. Can you camp at Slaughter Gap? I thought the campsite was closed to allow regrowth due to heavy usage. Since I now have a bit of free time this might be a weekend well spent. Sorry if this issue has already been dealt with. The AT has been relocated away from the old Slaughter Gap, the geologic Slaughter Gap. Now the trail turns to climb Blood Mtn just south of the Gap at the headwaters of Slaughter Creek. There are established campsites spread out along some loop trails near there, those are now called the Slaughter Gap Campsites although they really aren't at the Gap. The Slaughter Creek Trail coming up from Winnie Scott was also relocated and the Duncan Ridge Trail endpoint is now the intersection of the old AT and the relo'd AT, then the DRT flips to the other side of the ridge to also avoid the old Slaughter Gap.

I'll there tomorrow whacking weeds, pruning brush and locating yellowjacket nests on the DRT between Blood & Wolf Pen.

Two Speed
09-05-2008, 09:08
I'll there tomorrow whacking weeds, pruning brush and locating yellowjacket nests on the DRT between Blood & Wolf Pen.Oh, good. Please drive a large stake next to each nest and put plenty of orange flagging on the stakes.

Thanks!

Dances with Mice
09-05-2008, 09:21
Oh, good. Please drive a large stake next to each nest and put plenty of orange flagging on the stakes.Thanks! No problem. Doing trail work this time of year means I often have swarms of young ladies hanging all over me wanting to give me a piece of tail.

Two Speed
09-05-2008, 09:25
No problem. Doing trail work this time of year means I often have swarms of young ladies hanging all over me wanting to give me a piece of tail.Mmmm, I understand they go for trail maintainers who wear orange flagging.

Good luck. Might join you. Been a while since I had any tail. :cool:

Bulldawg
09-05-2008, 09:36
You boys have fun, I'll be in Athens watching the LBDs run around.

Dances with Mice
09-05-2008, 10:14
You boys have fun, I'll be in Athens watching the LBDs run around.Do you know JB the Sausage Man? I want a jar of his Comeback Sauce (http://www.athensexchange.com/articles/515). Best BBQ sauce anywhere. Ever. If you get a chance pick up a pint for me. I know Athens on game day - if no chance, no biggee.

It's pricey but I'll cover.

Bulldawg
09-05-2008, 10:57
Yeah, I know ole JB, who doesn't? I just found out that I might not be down there now. I have had an offer I can't refuse for my tickets.

Dances with Mice
09-05-2008, 11:12
Yeah, I know ole JB, who doesn't? I just found out that I might not be down there now. I have had an offer I can't refuse for my tickets.Whenever the opportunity arises. Last time I got a pint from him it was ten bucks.

But worth it.

Grandma
09-05-2008, 12:38
Is he open again? I read that the public health guys shut him down.

Dances with Mice
09-05-2008, 12:49
Is he open again? I read that the public health guys shut him down.Oh No! You're right. This is horrible news (http://flagpole.com/News/CityPages/HardTimesForJB/2008-06-18). I hadn't heard about that.

Damn government interference. The taste of JB's food depends on the patina of smoke, grease and grime on his grill and the sauce and pepper/onion pots. 40 Watt ought to set up a kitchen for him.

I tried to buy that cast-iron pepper pot off him once. He knew I was serious but he seriously let me know that it was not going to happen. But he wanted to buy my Stetson fur felt fedora and I let him know that wasn't going to happen either.

Two Speed
09-05-2008, 13:26
The way I understand it is the nastier the floor and grill the better the BBQ. Some of the best BBQ I've ever had was served out of an old DOT job trailer in a liquor store parking lot. Talk about grody, but man, the 'Q was good!
. . . But he wanted to buy my Stetson fur felt fedora and I let him know that wasn't going to happen either.Should have taken that offer, trust me.

Dances with Mice
09-05-2008, 13:38
Should have taken that offer, trust me.You're just jealous because you've never gotten complimented on your fashion sense by the late night hot dog stand man.

Grandma
09-05-2008, 14:13
Yeah, Athens is worse off witout JB cooking up sausages in the middle of the night. He did much more than cook up food.

Two Speed
09-05-2008, 14:19
You're just jealous because you've never gotten complimented on your fashion sense by the late night hot dog stand man.Not that the late night hot dog man mighta been trying to help out another drunk or anything. Nope, that couldn't possibly be the reason. :p

Bulldawg
09-05-2008, 14:33
Man, downtown won't be the same.

Turtle2
09-08-2008, 21:42
Hey guys! It is dove season here in KY soon to be squirrel season (4 legged kind). For this hike do we need to worry about any hunting season that might bring some surprises? Do we need the blaze orange? Thanks

Bulldawg
09-08-2008, 22:03
I don't know if the trail is going through any areas where hunting is even allowed. I can't answer that question. BMM can though.

On another note, right now at this moment in time the on call schedule has changed again at work. So it now looks like I might be off this weekend. I still have the concert to go to in Athens on Friday night, then I have to get over staying out until 3 or 4 AM in downtown Athens on Saturday morning. I figure getting up to Wildcat Gap a little before lunch or so. What time do you think you will be passing through Wildcat Gap guys? Also, someone with a vehicle in Vogel will take me back to my truck at Wildcat right?

Egads
09-08-2008, 22:06
Yes, yes it does. Phreak & I passed a fresh doe kill ~1 mi outside the park boundary on Dec 31 .

HikerRanky
09-08-2008, 22:27
Well, I am afraid I have to bail on this... I've been summoned to give a deposition in NYC on 9/18/08 and 9/19/08.... Plane isn't supposed to leave NYC until 7:25pm, but it's on-time rating is only 25%.... Last time I didn't get back home to Nashville until 1am the next day.....

Turtle2, I'm sorry for this......

You all have fun down there!

bloodmountainman
09-08-2008, 23:54
Hey guys! It is dove season here in KY soon to be squirrel season (4 legged kind). For this hike do we need to worry about any hunting season that might bring some surprises? Do we need the blaze orange? Thanks
Archery season only at the time of the hike . Not a real popular hunting area.

Turtle2
09-09-2008, 21:13
Well, I am afraid I have to bail on this... I've been summoned to give a deposition in NYC on 9/18/08 and 9/19/08.... Plane isn't supposed to leave NYC until 7:25pm, but it's on-time rating is only 25%.... Last time I didn't get back home to Nashville until 1am the next day.....

Turtle2, I'm sorry for this......

You all have fun down there!

Say it isn't so!!! Sorry to hear about your summons. Sounds like a lot of dead time in NYC sitting around waiting. Will be thinking about you!

Hey Karo Are you still wanting to go?

Dances with Mice
09-09-2008, 23:20
The trail from Coosa to Blood Mtn is now all spiffied up for y'all. There's just a few blowdowns in the Slaughter Mtn area that are mostly step-overs. Blackberries have all been cut back and overhanging branches neatly trimmed out of the way.

Water at Slaughter Stream was just a few puddles. There is a stream on the DRT near the Bear Hair Trail cutoff that is still running.

Yellowjacket nests were lectured and told to behave themselves or else. Something large tore the heck out of one hollow log that used to have a nest inside.

karo
09-10-2008, 19:45
Say it isn't so!!! Sorry to hear about your summons. Sounds like a lot of dead time in NYC sitting around waiting. Will be thinking about you!

Hey Karo Are you still wanting to go?

Sorry to say this, but I found out today that I will not be able to take off on Friday, so I am out also.:(

bloodmountainman
09-10-2008, 20:30
We've had alot of comers and goers the last few weeks!
The hike is just a little over a week away, and I guess some "planning" is needed.
I hope the map Bulldawg posted was of some help ,if you not familiar with the route.
Every one will arrive at various times and from Various locations. Some will need to do more miliage on Saturday to allow time for the drive Sunday. Camping spots are of indivdual preferences. This is a definte "hike your own hike".

My plan is to be on the summit of Bloodmountainman by 6:00 PM Friday the 19. I will meet up with who I can at Blood Mt. shelter. I plan first nights camp somewhere on the "backside of Blood. Start early Saturday and see how the day feels before camping. Calf Stomp Gap is the planned Saturday night spot , but I may head on around to another. I have all day Sunday to get back over Blood, others may have to "get it on".
Those who are commited post your ETA for Vogel or Byron Reece trailhead this week.

Look forward to hiking with you guys.

bobbyw
09-11-2008, 02:19
If anyone is driving up from southern florida for this trip and I could catch a ride I would be very interested in going, that is, if you pros don't mind a little fresh meat to slow things down.

bloodmountainman
09-11-2008, 10:33
If anyone is driving up from southern florida for this trip and I could catch a ride I would be very interested in going, that is, if you pros don't mind a little fresh meat to slow things down.
Not a hike for "pros". Consider it a training hike! Come on up!

Thank you Dances with Mice for your volunteer trail work!

Remember to get backcountry permits from Vogel State Park.

Hoop
09-12-2008, 12:03
"Those who are commited post your ETA for Vogel or Byron Reece trailhead this week."

goose1 and I plan to arrive around noon or a little after on Friday, and want to park at Vogel so we can depart from there Sunday. Anybody else coming at that time so we can catch a lift back to Byron Reece?

MamaCat
09-12-2008, 16:06
Hi guys,
I think I am not going to make it either. I just learned that our work trip is going to be a very hard one and I am going to just want to go home after it. Sure hope to catch up with everybody on another one!

bloodmountainman
09-12-2008, 17:02
It's time for a head count to see who is going to make this little Walk-about.
Hoop Rat, Goose 1, Gungho, and myself are in so far..
To all you guys who can't make it, we'll give it another try in the future.
Fall is coming on and hiking season is just getting started in the Ga. Mnts.
Maybe a winter hike would be in order. Anyone else with some ideas on a section?

MoBill122
09-12-2008, 17:43
Well, I for one will not make it. I'll be in Mobile hopefully closing the sale on our house down there.

Probably doing Blood Mtn Loop and DeSoto Falls this weekend, if anyone is going to be in that area.

bloodmountainman
09-12-2008, 18:37
Well, I for one will not make it. I'll be in Mobile hopefully closing the sale on our house down there.

Probably doing Blood Mtn Loop and DeSoto Falls this weekend, if anyone is going to be in that area.
I'll be up on Blood Saturday morning with my niece. We'll probably do the Freeman Trail Loop. Haven't decided which direction around we'll do ...... leaving that one up to the niece. Maybe we'll cross paths.

Turtle2
09-13-2008, 13:15
Hey Guys! I am still planning to come at this time. If gas goes to $5.50 a gallon as they are talking, I may rethink. It jumped 30 cents yesterday and I've not been to town today to check. Hoop Rat, I'd love to meet you at noonish but can't guarantee that with the 6 hour drive, maybe 2 pm. Will confirm later in the week. Looking forward to the hike, tho.........

MoBill122
09-13-2008, 17:06
Blood
we're going to Helton Creek Falls first...then to Notteley Falls... then Blood Loop... and then DeSoto.... if we're not " the walking dead " by then. LOL

MoBill122
09-13-2008, 17:06
Oppsss you said Saturday.... we're going Sunday.

Hoop
09-13-2008, 18:58
gungo,

Yer PM inbox is too full to take any messages.

goose1
09-13-2008, 22:30
I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas (counting the days). What's the head count now?

gungho
09-13-2008, 23:05
gungo,

Yer PM inbox is too full to take any messages.

Sorry, about that, I cleaned it up

bloodmountainman
09-16-2008, 21:02
All packed and ready to go. Still hope to be at Blood Mt. shelter 6:00 PM Friday. Will hike down to Slaughter Gap for camp. I am caching 2 gals. of water and some muscadine wine ( un-disclosed location). Hope to see you guys out there.

Dances with Mice
09-16-2008, 21:18
I am caching 2 gals. of water and some muscadine wine ( un-disclosed location). 1 Timothy 5:23

bloodmountainman
09-16-2008, 22:04
1 Timothy 5:23
Exactly!! Good old KIng James. The water is for coffee, tea, and ramen.

goose1
09-16-2008, 22:35
Hoop Rat and Goose 1 will at BR Parking lot between noon and 2pm Friday
Hope to have company.

Dances with Mice
09-16-2008, 22:38
Yeah. Paul to Tim: "Chill, dude. Don't yell at the old guys, in fact don't yell at anybody, watch out for young widows" (he does go on and on about them, doesn't he?), "leave your staff alone to do their jobs, tell everyone else to back off and that includes you! Don't worry about who gets the credit, just sit back and have some wine, man."

Modern day managers could learn a lot from Paul.

bloodmountainman
09-17-2008, 07:13
Yeah. Paul to Tim: "Chill, dude. Don't yell at the old guys, in fact don't yell at anybody, watch out for young widows" (he does go on and on about them, doesn't he?), "leave your staff alone to do their jobs, tell everyone else to back off and that includes you! Don't worry about who gets the credit, just sit back and have some wine, man."

Modern day managers could learn a lot from Paul.
Wow! Dances that is one of the most accurate descriptions of these two fellows I have ever seen! You are quite the scholar! You should really try and make this hike with us. I could learn a lot from you. Hope to see you "out there" one of these days.

Grandma
09-17-2008, 08:33
I have some family chores to tend to. My wife is pregnant, and she is in nesting mode, so I better help with some prep work. Maybe next go-round.

MoBill122
09-17-2008, 15:26
Thinking if I go, I should go very early.... so I can watch BMM arrive...then follow him until he caches all that wine. Then I may or may not ever catch up with the group.

Well... unless DWM is picking up the bar tab again one night.

bloodmountainman
09-17-2008, 15:31
Thinking if I go, I should go very early.... so I can watch BMM arrive...then follow him until he caches all that wine. Then I may or may not ever catch up with the group.

Well... unless DWM is picking up the bar tab again one night.
Good one Bill..... but you are too late! Cache already in place. Not enough wine to do any serious damage. Just a Saturday night relaxer. Come on and join us. Camping at Slaughter Gap Friday night.

Bulldawg
09-17-2008, 20:09
I still need to catch the wave as it comes through Wildcat Gap sometime Saturday and then I really need to catch a ride out of Vogel back to wildcat. Anyone parking at Vogel that can ride me back to Wildcat Sunday morning? I am saving Blood for the next Tuesday. I am helping NatGeo with their film on the Appalachian Trail and I have to be on the Blood summit at 8AM Tuesday morning for some fixed wing aircraft fly over shots. So I think I will save my legs a little for that. Someone let me know pretty quick about a shuttle back out of Vogel or else I am going to have to bail myself. Hey also let me know what time you guys expect to roll through Wildcat Gap? Thanks!!!

Turtle2
09-17-2008, 20:29
Talked with BMM today. Things are still in flux. If all agree, we may do a long day on Saturday looking to hit Calf Stomp Gap noonish meaning hitting Wildcat Gap mid morning. Best bet, tho, is to wait for BMM to confirm as it is not a familiar trail for me. He can also comment on a shuttle to for you on Sunday. I for sure don't know how to get around down there. Hope to see you on Saturday! By the way, what is this about saving your legs??? You are a young pup!

goose1
09-17-2008, 20:56
I will be parking at Vogel. Any one needing a ride to BR on Sunday is welcome.

Egads
09-17-2008, 21:09
I am helping NatGeo with their film on the Appalachian Trail and I have to be on the Blood summit at 8AM Tuesday morning for some fixed wing aircraft fly over shots.

Please expound. How did you hit the gig & arrange a fly over?

Bulldawg
09-17-2008, 21:20
Please expound. How did you hit the gig & arrange a fly over?

I just got hooked up with NatGeo and decided to give them a hand. We did about 3 days of filming all along the AT in Georgia about a month ago. When they were on Blood they decided that it was a great place to do some fly over shots. So on Tuesday the 23rd they have what they are calling a fixed wing aircraft with a couple of cameras on it that will do some fly over shots of me walking on the exposed rocks on top of Blood. I figure they will fly over with me on top of picnic rock and then maybe some stuff on all of the exposed treeless spots heading north. I have to be up there sometime around 8AM. So I am thinking of spending the night in Winton's hostel if he will let me and heading out bright and early, maybe early enough to catch the sunrise that morning.

So for that reason I am going to forego the hike back across Blood Sunday and make it Tuesday instead. So I want to pick up the pack on Saturday morning at Wildcat and hike on into Vogel Sunday morning and get someone to take me back to my truck at Wildcat.

bloodmountainman
09-17-2008, 21:22
I still need to catch the wave as it comes through Wildcat Gap sometime Saturday and then I really need to catch a ride out of Vogel back to wildcat. Anyone parking at Vogel that can ride me back to Wildcat Sunday morning? I am saving Blood for the next Tuesday. I am helping NatGeo with their film on the Appalachian Trail and I have to be on the Blood summit at 8AM Tuesday morning for some fixed wing aircraft fly over shots. So I think I will save my legs a little for that. Someone let me know pretty quick about a shuttle back out of Vogel or else I am going to have to bail myself. Hey also let me know what time you guys expect to roll through Wildcat Gap? Thanks!!!
If we get an 8 Am start on Saturday, we should be hitting Wildcat Gap between 10 and 11 Am. Some in our group need to finish fairly early on Sunday for their drive home, I'm suggesting we move well past Calf Stomp for Saturday camp. Possibly back to Slaughter Gap .

Head count.... Hooprat, Goose1, Turtle2, Backpackrat, Bloodmountainman

Bulldawg
09-17-2008, 21:26
If we get an 8 Am start on Saturday, we should be hitting Wildcat Gap between 10 and 11 Am. Some in our group need to finish fairly early on Sunday for their drive home, I'm suggesting we move well past Calf Stomp for Saturday camp. Possibly back to Slaughter Gap .

Head count.... Hooprat, Goose1, Turtle2, Backpackrat, Bloodmountainman

So are you suggesting that we hike all the way through Vogel and back up to Slaughter Gap from there on Saturday? I will be at a concert in Athens Friday night and very well may not be back home until early Saturday morning. If that is your plan, pushing on to Slaughter for Saturday night, maybe my best plan is to pick you guys up at Vogel Saturday afternoon or meet you at the Slaughter Creek sites Saturday night.

Email me BMM.

Hoop
09-18-2008, 15:03
"My plan is to be on the summit of Bloodmountainman by 6:00 PM Friday the 19. I will meet up with who I can at Blood Mt. shelter. I plan first nights camp somewhere on the "backside of Blood."

See you tomorrow afternoon, BMM!

MoBill122
09-18-2008, 15:32
Trying to talk myself into camping with you Friday night...then back home I go.

I've already made plans to go to Providence Canyon on Sunday.

MoBill122
09-18-2008, 15:36
"My plan is to be on the summit of Bloodmountainman " I know what he meant, but I just had to pull that out and ask..... WHAT ??? LOL

bloodmountainman
09-18-2008, 17:48
"My plan is to be on the summit of Bloodmountainman " I know what he meant, but I just had to pull that out and ask..... WHAT ??? LOL
Damn!!! I don't even know where MY summit is!! LOL
Bill, you ought'a come up..... We may need a "life of the party"!!!!!

MoBill122
09-18-2008, 20:22
Ok.. I've pretty much made up my mind I'm coming up ! Packed up my stuff, so that means I'm going somewhere ! I'll be there between 12 > 2PM at BR parking lot too. Just look for the white Ford tank !

Hoop
09-18-2008, 20:57
Er, oops...

MoBill122
09-18-2008, 21:01
That's going to make some interesting camp fire chat I'm sure... after that gallon of wine is gone ! LOL

MoBill122
09-18-2008, 21:03
Hey... I'm going to be in a hammock too.... are we going to have to fight for trees ???

Bulldawg
09-18-2008, 21:05
What kind of warmth system are all you other hammockers opting for this weekend? I am figuring lows will be around 46-50*F. It was 51*F this morning at my house at 2000 feet ASL.

bloodmountainman
09-18-2008, 21:07
Er, oops...

That's going to make some interesting camp fire chat I'm sure... after that gallon of wine is gone ! LOL

You guys are killing me!! Everyone have a safe drive, don't forget your permits, and have dinner ready for me! Let's do a little Mountain climbing and exploring.
Gonna have some great weather!

MoBill122
09-18-2008, 21:09
Do I need a permit if not going to Coosa with you ???

bloodmountainman
09-18-2008, 21:10
What kind of warmth system are all you other hammockers opting for this weekend? I am figuring lows will be around 46-50*F. It was 51*F this morning at my house at 2000 feet ASL.
Thirty degree bag with half cut foam for insulation. Only second time in this thing.... I'm a hammock rookie. Look for my E-mail Dawg.... sent 10 minutes ago!

bloodmountainman
09-18-2008, 21:12
Do I need a permit if not going to Coosa with you ???
NO Permit If NO Coosa..... sounds like a new dance!!

Bulldawg
09-18-2008, 21:14
Thirty degree bag with half cut foam for insulation. Only second time in this thing.... I'm a hammock rookie. Look for my E-mail Dawg.... sent 10 minutes ago!

I'm thinking of trying something new. I have a 30 degree down bag that unzips all the way, ya know it will open up as a quilt. I am thinking about sort of fashioning it into a peapod type arrangement with a foam pad between the hammock and the bottom of the bag. I probably should try this at home first, but where is the fun in that?

Oh yeah, emailed ya back.....I am really confused.

MoBill122
09-18-2008, 21:25
I usually melt in a bag, even at 30 degrees. If I get cold, I'll just get up and chase the bear off, so you guys can sleep. Just taking a zip-up acrylic blanket and a jacket...

MoBill122
09-19-2008, 10:06
Well... I'm leaving the house and will see you folks at the parking lot !

MoBill122
09-20-2008, 22:33
Well, I'm back from the Coosa Backcountry campout, but I was heavily WARNED to NOT talk to much about the hike.... " What happens on the Trail, STAYS on the Trail " LOL
Several of us met up at the Bryon Reese Trailhead, and started up the trail to the Blood Mtn Shelter, to meet the stanglers later at 6PM. First thing most of us learned was the Turtle2 wasn't given that trailname for being s l o w.... omg... I was sucking air fast ! !
We finally make it to the Blood Mtn Shelter...pant..pant.... and all are soon on Picnic Rock sunbathing...uh... I mean snoozing... and chatting with other hikers as they walked through.
BloodMountainMan finally arrives, and we take off to Slaughter Gap to camp. We had already walked a bit down the trail, before we remember that someone was to climb the BloodMountainMan Summit ! ! I think we all regreted not being a witness to that... whatever it might have been ?! <G>
We get to the camp site and make camp. BMM brings out his homebrew... although he swears it was from a winery. That didn't last very long. I find out I had lunch inside at Turner's Corner Cafe, while the others were outside on the patio. I surely wish I had known, as I would have sent my bill to their table.
BMM gives us a botany lesson on alphids he saw on the trail. I later took pictures of these creatures, as they seemed to have been bothering BMM all night long. I think he was dreaming about them things crawling all over him during the night, as much as he turned and tossed all night. He claimed he was getting used to that new hammock... guess we'll let him take the " manly " way out... but I know it was those little white bugs crawling on him. (Will post pictures later)
Enjoyed listening to Turtle2 tell of her AT adventures, since the rest of us are still in the dreaming stage of ever getting to take a throughhike.
No bears came to visit during the night, but the wind sure was blowing and throwing big acorns at us all night.
We broke camp early, with me going back over Blood Mtn and they to continue to Coosa Backcountry...they had maps... maybe they'll survive. I mean, BMM did inform us he was on a first name basis with all the local moonshiners... I guess thats a good thing ?
I'll post pics and maybe more...uh.... about the hike

MoodyBluer
09-21-2008, 16:31
Hope everyone had a good time and looking forward to a trip report...anyone hiking this area again at the end of Oct-begin of Nov? Peak leaf viewing season and cool nites will get me up there.

Turtle2
09-21-2008, 20:44
Hi Guys! I made it home! Yes, we did summit BloodMountainMan. Pics to follow. MoBill, sorry you missed that! Report and other pics later. Good hike.

bloodmountainman
09-22-2008, 07:21
Hi Guys! I made it home! Yes, we did summit BloodMountainMan. Pics to follow. MoBill, sorry you missed that! Report and other pics later. Good hike.
Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. We still need to call you "Wonderwoman" instead of Turtle!! I slept most of the day while you were making that long drive. I had a great hike and as soon as I can sort out the events of the weekend , I'll send a report.
To everyone who made the hike , I could not ask for a better group of hikers to spend a romp in the woods with.

Bulldawg
09-22-2008, 08:19
Sorry I did not make it guys. I just had entirely too much to do on the homefront. Couple that with not getting home from Athens until 3AM. I cut my acre of grass, cut my mother's acre of grass, cleaned out a hen house, cleaned out two dog pens, fertilized in the muscadine vineyard, cut down the garden, plowed the garden, banded six bull calves, and then planted the fall crop. It was dark Saturday night before I ever sat down. Hope you guys had a good hike and enjoyed it. I will be back up on Blood Wednesday for the fly overs for NatGeo, BMM, you want to join?

goose1
09-22-2008, 13:03
Bloodmountainman thanks for organizing the hike. I really enjoyed meeting and hiking with everyone. Hooprat and I got to my house about 6pm Sunday. He had another 2 hr drive home, I hope he made it ok.
I hope we can go on another hike soon.

Bulldawg I have some grass cutting, dog pen cleaning, and gardening that needs
to be done. You could do it much faster than me. So how about it?
Sorry you missed the hike.

bloodmountainman
09-22-2008, 13:13
Bloodmountainman thanks for organizing the hike. I really enjoyed meeting and hiking with everyone. Hooprat and I got to my house about 6pm Sunday. He had another 2 hr drive home, I hope he made it ok.
I hope we can go on another hike soon.

Bulldawg I have some grass cutting, dog pen cleaning, and gardening that needs
to be done. You could do it much faster than me. So how about it?
Sorry you missed the hike.
Glad you enjoyed them little hills up here! I don't think this hike had a lot of "organization" in it. Hats off to Turtle for whipping us into shape and setting the pace.

Turtle2
09-22-2008, 14:38
Glad you enjoyed them little hills up here! I don't think this hike had a lot of "organization" in it. Hats off to Turtle for whipping us into shape and setting the pace.
Come on now, we did switch off the lead and you guys weren't any slower! However, you did look pretty tired on Saturday afternoon. 4827

BloodMountainMan ordered up perfect weather on Friday with cool temps and a delightful breeze, he did, however, forget the breeze on Saturday! At least he remembered to put in the order for no bugs. It was a great hike and better hiking buddies couldn't have been found by hand picking. The wine was very tasty and I talked BMM out of the recipe. :rolleyes:

Mash 1/2 bushel of muscadine grapes with your hands, put them in a large churn, and add 2.5 pounds of sugar. Let it work for about a week, until it quits. Strain the mixture to get out the grape skins and impurities. Put back in the churn, add 10 pounds more sugar. Let it work about 8 to 10 days, until it quits and can be bottled.

For myself, I wouldn't know when it "quit". I'll leave that to the expert.

Here we are on the "Summit of BloodMountainMan".

Bulldawg, enjoy your NatGeo shoot. Hopefully you will have the same gorgeous weather as we had. Sorry not to be able to meet you.

Hoop
09-22-2008, 15:22
Dang, Turtle2, you coulda blackmailed us with that first picture! Talk about candid camera...
That unflattering portrait notwithstanding, I had a great time with everyone hiking the Coosa Backcountry Trail. Friday night the moon issued orders for the trees to bomb the Slaughter Gap campsite with acorns - no direct hits, however. Mr. Wind must have become exhausted from all that work because he was tuckered out Saturday when we needed him (see above pic). We finished Sunday with an up and over on Blood Mountain. Hats off to the trail maintainers who did a ton of work Saturday on the BM trail.
It was a great hike that went too fast and ended too soon. For those of you who almost came but changed your minds, that's okay, we drank your serving of wine.

Turtle2
09-22-2008, 15:26
4828Hoop Rat, does this one look better??? The first was a momentary lapse.

Hoop
09-22-2008, 15:32
Much better, once we saw the camera we shaped up.

MoBill122
09-22-2008, 17:29
Oh My Gawd.... I can't believe you guys let her take a picture of you all trashed out by her " hot rod " turtle pace ! Rumor has it, she sent copies to be posted on all the " Lady Hiker forums " Someone said the pic is already posted at Neel's Gap Trailhead ! geezzzzz

bloodmountainman
09-22-2008, 20:03
The Great North Ga. Whiteblaze Hike is in the history books. it was a perfect way to spend the last weekend of summer.
I got a lot more out of this hike than I put in it! I got a good physical workout, a chance to leave work and worry behind, and most importantly, 4 new friends!

This hike was VERY loosely organized ( I apologize to any one I may have confused!). We decided as a group how we were going to do the trail in Slaughter Gap. WE decided on the clockwise route and would just "how the day goes". You gotta love people with an attitude like that!! The grand plan was to arrive back in SLaughter Gap Saturday evening. It"s an ambitious plan but doable!

MoBill left us Saturday morning ( for another hike) and we struck out about 8:00 am . Walking in a group, it soon becomes clear who takes the lead and who carries the all important rear. Turtle2 is a thru hiker from the class of 06. This little lady is one tough cookie! Hooprat and Packpackrat caught her draft and set the pace. Goose 1 and decided to lay back in case the guys out front got into any trouble.
Picture perfect weather and cool mountain breezes had us walking strong . Goose and I had some good conversation while the speesters knocked down the spider webs for us.

Reached Wolf Pen Gap around 10:00 Am to give Bulldawg an update on where we were and what the plan was. ( Dawg did I tell you Clockwise or counter on that message? that bothered me all day! Sorry if I got it wrong!) We were down from Slaughter Mt and on our way up Coosa Bald. Picked up our water cache and climbed the hill. This is a very steep climb on an old road bed. At the top of this climb is the intersection of the Duncan Ridge trail and The Coosa trail. Thanks to our own Dances with Mice and other trail volunteers, the DRT is nicely cut back and trimmed. The Coosa not as well. After making this climb, you usaually are looking dowm at your feet , and when the trail levels out , you see this well groomed footpath in front of you, it is very easy to walk right past the junction and head right on off onto the DRT. I guess I should have mentioned this to the front men before we left the gap! All turned out well and we soon regroped !!! All invovled used good wood craft!

Calf Stomp Gap was mentioned as a Saturday night camp but we arrived there at noon. There was way too much hiking to do to camp there! We began the long downhill grade into Locust Stake Gap and finally down to Wildcat creek. At our lunch break we reevaluted our plan and began to come up with new ideas about our camping spot . The tempture was rising and the cool mountain breezes left us.

At Wildcat Creek we began the climb up into Burnett Gap, cross Hwy 180, and down into Vogel State Park. As we began to make this small climb, pep was no longer in our step. We took more rest breaks on this 3 mile section than we had the previous 7 or so. This is where the picture Turtle posted was taken. We agreeed as a group the day was done, we had hit the wall, and Vogel was just over the hill. We hiked into the Park office and asked the keeper if there was room in the inn. For the sum of $12 we were placed between a Latino famly on fiesta and a troop of 13 Cub Scouts! The upside of this situation was we near hot showers!!! Goose1 had his Jeep there it we felt it the sensible thing to do. We might not of had the great wilderness camp out Saturday, but we were safe and refreashed. We were all satisfied with 10 plus miles for the day.

Sunday morning we were up at first light and had the satisfaction of giving the stay-up late campers and Cubs sleeping around us a seminar on backcountry cooking.
Goose opted out of finishing the loop and graciously offered to protect our gear while we slacked packed back over Blood Mt. We arranged to have him pick us up at the Reese Trailhead at noon. We found the next availible campsite after a 2000' climb . It was a wise move to stay at Vogel! WE reached Slaughter Gap and completed the Coosa Backcountry Loop. All we had left was to dot the I and cross the tee with a romp up and over Blood Mt. Goose was glad to see us at the parking lot at noon sharp.

It was a great time with some great folks. Even if things didn't quite go as planned we did good. Thanks to all you guys for coming and let's do it again soon!

Turtle2
09-22-2008, 20:29
Great trip report, BloodMountainMan! Look for the other pictures in the forum. They are a bit more flattering. I'd be honored to hike with the five of you again.

MoodyBluer
09-29-2008, 20:00
Hope everyone had a good time and looking forward to a trip report...anyone hiking this area again at the end of Oct-begin of Nov? Peak leaf viewing season and cool nites will get me up there.

Thought I would bump this...

bloodmountainman
09-29-2008, 20:04
Thought I would bump this...
Well the hike is over, but since i'm almost un-employed and the trail is in walking distance, I'm availiable. Don't think I'll do any camping at Vogel next time!